Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gypsy Tart

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
Ingredients:

Shortcrust pastry
Condensed Milk (chilled)
Muscovado Sugar

Blind bake pastry. Whisk milk & sugar for 10 minutes. Bake at gas mark 6 for 10 - 15 minutes. Put in fridge for an hour or so to fully set.

Nearly every recipe on the web is different, mainly in the ratio of condensed milk to muscovado sugar. Most use more milk (400 - 410g) than sugar (340 - 375g), presumably to ensure a creamier texture and taste. A couple of recipes go completely the other way though and suggest anything up to 340g of sugar for just 170g of milk.

Anyone experimented? Reckon those with extra sugar would just be too sweet. I didn't eat it at school, seems to be almost solely a Kent delicacy, but I imagine those who ate it a lot might know. Anyone?

259622_MEDIUM.jpg

I have never had this. Apparently it is the most famous dessert from Kent. I want to try some.

gypsy tart is awesome. i have never made it but we did have it at school (always with half an apple afterwards to clean our teeth - doh!), and I have bought it from shops.

It's like a creamy mousse consistency (in a flan base), occasionally granulating at the edges. It tastes like muscavado sugar, obv - but softer.

More sugar to milk ratio would probably made it taste more fudge-like. I'd go with the more milk slightly less sugar recipe....or make one of each and see which is best!!

. I didn't eat it at school, seems to be almost solely a Kent delicacy, but I imagine those who ate it a lot might know. Anyone?

Well it was a staple of Aberdeen school dinners in the 60s, 70s and 80s (with pink custard) and had been mentioned on just about every school dinners thread I've seen on here, so it must be a bit more widespread than that.

Never seen one as well-filled as the one in your photo tho. More usually the filling was just enough to cover the base an no more. Sometimes a few hundreds and thousands were sprinkled to add colour.

More sugar to milk ratio would probably made it taste more fudge-like. I'd go with the more milk slightly less sugar recipe....or make one of each and see which is best!!

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I wasn't sure why, so that'll do me. Can't do two - I'm going to try and make it whilst looking after the toddler and hope Mrs R doesn't notice what we're doing. :)

Well it was a staple of Aberdeen school dinners in the 60s, 70s and 80s (with pink custard) and had been mentioned on just about every school dinners thread I've seen on here, so it must be a bit more widespread than that.

Never seen one as well-filled as the one in your photo tho. More usually the filling was just enough to cover the base an no more. Sometimes a few hundreds and thousands were sprinkled to add colour.

Well thank fuck I said 'almost' then. Christ.

Hundreds and thousands and pink pink custard? Vom.

Well thank fuck I said 'almost' then. Christ.

Hundreds and thousands and pink pink custard? Vom.

Far preferable to much of the other slop they tended to serve at the time. Semolina and a spoon of jam anyone! <<barf!>> :D

I loved all school dinners puddings. I'd like the recipe for bounty cake. That was amazing.

in kent it was at least a cm thick, and never had sprinkles or pink custard. "To gild refined gold, to paint the lily ... is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

Semolina's great. What's the problem with it? I thought it was sago and tapioca people thought was like frogspawn.

We used to have baked semolina on Sundays, and yes, a spoon of jam. Lovely.

I think eating it out of the tin is the norm in the NE of Scotland :D I remember doing it when I was younger. Dunno if I could do it now though.

Thats what you do with the last half-inch of the last tin when you make swiss milk toffee. Along with the pan scrapings of course. ;)

And it was best if the tin of condensed milk sat open in the fridge overnight - It got even thicker and tastier! :D

Back
Top Bottom