Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Guilty displeasures

I came very late to the Pixies and perhaps I'm missing the historical context. The type of thing they were doing doesn't excite me greatly but I can appreciate it was new and different at the time. However it's their precise, polished playing that I dislike. They suck the energy out of the room.
Going back to your OP, listening to MC5 at the time must have been amazing. You're soooo wrong on that, but I don't think I can help you. We're all beyond help, I suspect.

There's loads of canonical bands I either don't like or have no interest in. There's whole swathes of classic rock that I couldn't give a fuck about. There's bands that get big love from people whose tastes I respect that leave me cold or jumping to turn it off. And I'm fine with that. Not my thing. What we like to listen to is all subjective and that. The world would be boring if we all liked the same things.

The one I think that I should like and might be missing out on is jazz. Of course, jazz is a huge genre that's been around for over 100 years. There's plenty of jazz music I do like from Cab Calloway to Glenn Miller to Billie Holiday. There's loads of music I love that has been influenced by and probably wouldn't exist without jazz. But the stuff that really excites people, the stuff people get obsessive about - the Miles Davises and John Coltranes - nah.

I check it out every few years, people have recommended this album and that album as an introduction, I've watched YouTube videos explaining exactly why this tune or that tune is technically, objectively incredible, I've had people helpfully explain that I must be listening to it wrong. I've tried. But then I put an album on and I just don't like sound coming out of the speakers.

I think the best way into jazz is from the beginning. If you are going to listen to Coltrane's or Davis's innovative albums it really helps if you are familiar with the musical language that they are expanding. Danny and few others here nudged me in the right direction with Dizzy Gillespie, you can link the swing era stuff (which you seem to be OK with) up with the bop era stuff, because at first it wasn't something hugely different.

There's loads of stuff others enthuse about that just leaves me cold or I actively dislike.

From years ago, sharing houses with student mates. Captain Beef Heart, boring nonsense drivel. Jeff Buckly or is it the other one and Nick Drake, dreary as fuck pish. Tom Waits, hmm, doesn't really do it, except that heart Attack on Vine, that's good. Nick Cave, OK, has grown on me.

no one liked my CD collection though. :D

These days, I don't generally listen to mainstream music radio, so most of it passes me by. Not cos I think all modern pop is rubbish, that is ridiculous. I do hear some in taxis or where ever and like some modern production techniques, even if not the song persay. And the odd thing from Spottify a mate might play. AT home, don't really like having general music in the background. I have to actively search out new stuff.

Going back to your OP, listening to MC5 at the time must have been amazing. You're soooo wrong on that, but I don't think I can help you. We're all beyond help, I suspect.

Oh I know! I completely recognise that it is something revolutionary and in line with other revolutionary rock from that period that I like.

you need to work on this stuff to like it tbf, I doubt anyone has leapt straight in and loved it.
Not very good at that. When I was young I used to be able to just sit and listen to music actively. I hope this ability returns soon (perhaps with ADHD meds)

I think the best way into jazz is from the beginning. If you are going to listen to Coltrane's or Davis's innovative albums it really helps if you are familiar with the musical language that they are expanding. Danny and few others here nudged me in the right direction with Dizzy Gillespie, you can link the swing era stuff (which you seem to be OK with) up with the bop era stuff, because at first it wasn't something hugely different.

hmm, I've never really given jazz a fair crack. There are a few New York, bar style jazz numbers (you know what I mean) in my library. But anything experimental I've kinda avoided. Trad jazz is also much better live.

I listen to free jazz when I'm driving or doing the washing up. It isn't ideal for running.
I used to turn on the radio hoping for Late Junction and instead be confronted by Jazz on 3. Monday nights, I think it was - LJ was tues-thurs. I tried. I didn't turn it off. I listened to quite a few hours of it. But I couldn't shake my initial impression. It's like music, just not quite as good.

For some reason I can manage Sun Ra but NO OTHER JAZZ EVER. I think it helps that he was completely mental. I can listen to it and even admire it as the sort of noise that someone who was completely off their rocker would make but any jazz made by sane people, or 'geniuses' just doesn't work for me.

I've got to confess that I wasn't into that Róisín Murphy album from last year. I liked everything about it, it sounded great, I liked the whole idea of nu disco, she sings in way that's acceptable to the non zoomers. Just somehow.... I... didn't... feel... the groove.

I am so, so sorry.

For some reason I can manage Sun Ra but NO OTHER JAZZ EVER. I think it helps that he was completely mental. I can listen to it and even admire it as the sort of noise that someone who was completely off their rocker would make but any jazz made by sane people, or 'geniuses' just doesn't work for me.

I got into jazz via Sun Ra. It's about something not just notes and chords. That sounds really stupid but jazz is pretty dry at first sight to the average lumpen rock fan.

I'm the opposite. So many vocals seem to not add much, or are the same old tropes.

My guilty displeasures are indy, pop and rock. I appreciate excellent musicianship but I generally find guitar music just doesn't excite me.
The only music that I can really think of as better without vocals are certain forms of dance music, like house or techno without soulful vocals > house or techno with soulful vocals. But then that music's so tied to a specific context that I don't really enjoy listening to it in my day-to-day life anyway. And there's definitely music that's better without certain vocals (back to autotune again), but that's a different issue.

Then again, I don't think I'd ever say "excellent musicianship" is something I listen to music for, give me the Raincoats/Mekons/Marine Girls any day. Or maybe some of them were really good musicians, I genuinely can't tell.
The one I think that I should like and might be missing out on is jazz. Of course, jazz is a huge genre that's been around for over 100 years. There's plenty of jazz music I do like from Cab Calloway to Glenn Miller to Billie Holiday. There's loads of music I love that has been influenced by and probably wouldn't exist without jazz. But the stuff that really excites people, the stuff people get obsessive about - the Miles Davises and John Coltranes - nah.

I check it out every few years, people have recommended this album and that album as an introduction, I've watched YouTube videos explaining exactly why this tune or that tune is technically, objectively incredible, I've had people helpfully explain that I must be listening to it wrong. I've tried. But then I put an album on and I just don't like sound coming out of the speakers.
Oh yeah, same.

Another blasphemous opinion of mine, although I'm not sure this is the right place for it to be controversial: I strongly feel that Tyler the Creator and Lana Del Rey were both at their best with their earlier, more morally reprehensible work, and the more "mature" and critically lauded they got the duller they became.

The first LDR album is perfect, the later stuff is dull, so you're right.
Are you counting the first album as Born to Die or the Lizzy Grant self-titled? The latter's worth a listen if you've not tried it. Although saying "the album she did as Lizzy Grant is better than anything she's done since Born to Die" feels like a ridiculously self-parodic hipster opinion to have.

Are there any bands you feel you should like but just don't? Do you feel you're missing out on something and just don't get it? I don't really have any guilty pleasures, but I have some real needling guilty displeasures.

I'm listening to MC5's High Time right now and it's doing everything I like - manic chaotic guitar driven but solid rock and roll songs. But I'm just not enjoying it, it sounds like a monotone racket to me. And it's not that I'm averse to that American hard rock/garage style - I like The Stooges and The Flaming Groovies and I've come round to the New York Dolls but ... just but.

I like Talking Heads hits Psycho Killer and Once in a Lifetime and Road to Nowhere. I can't get into their albums though.

I'm going through a 70's English folk phase, I like the Albion Band, Dando Shaft, Tudor Lodge, Pentangle, (early) Steeleye Span, Fresh Maggots, Anne Briggs. You know, all this twee nonsense - don't judge me! But for reasons I can't articulate, I just don't enjoy Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson or Sandy Denny who kickstarted all this. It's like they are too sophisticated and not twee enough for me. I feel like a right numbskull pixie, but that's the way it is.

I feel that there is something wrong with me, like I need a therapist or something. Have a go at talking me round on any of these or give me the good hard slap that I'm deserving. Because I know I'm wrong.

What's wrong with you? Or are guilty displeasures as silly as guilty pleasures?

Steely Dan
Frank Zappa
Earth Wind and Fire
Genesis

Not very good at that. When I was young I used to be able to just sit and listen to music actively. I hope this ability returns soon (perhaps with ADHD meds)

Best way in is to see it performed live IMO. Free improvisation can have a lot of tension in the air and a lot of dynamic range (loud to soft). It might be able to stun you into attention. If you ever get to see eg. the Sun Ra Arkestra, it's like a religious experience - ecstatic free improve and chants and ditties and audience participation and the group marching round the room. You won't be bored.

Best way in is to see it performed live IMO. Free improvisation can have a lot of tension in the air and a lot of dynamic range (loud to soft). It might be able to stun you into attention. If you ever get to see eg. the Sun Ra Arkestra, it's like a religious experience - ecstatic free improve and chants and ditties and audience participation and the group marching round the room. You won't be bored.
Aye do get into it more as there’s nothing you can do but pay attention to it when you’re in a venue with a loud sound system.
I say that but now I’m remembering the times when I’ve read a book at the odd rave

A rock and roll ambition that up to last year was actually within your reach
yeah i reckon if I had put a lot of effort in and had a bit of luck I may just have pulled it off. I still can't believe I "live jammed" with Igor Cavalera from Sepultura, at the windmill... I assumed the poster was an in joke, but it was not, he is a cool guy Igor.

Back
Top Bottom