Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Guilty displeasures

Re. Spacemen 3, I could just never get past the privileged son of a millionaire in his mansion telling the kids to take heroin doing an impression of Lou Reed and cringingly wittering about revolution shite. Doesn't matter how good (some of) the tunes were.

My problem with Chumbawamba was that I dismissed The Ex for years just by association. If I had a genre of music that I've loved all my life it would the whole post-Beefheart/post-Fall spikey, angular crowd - Bogshed, Minutemen, Stretcheads, Dog Faced Hermans, Big Flame, Paper Mice etc. - and The Ex are one of the seminal groups in that world, but because they came to my awareness touring with Chumbawamba I dismissed them for years as being of the same ilk, i.e. earnest agitprop panto merchants, which they are most definitely not, so that's my advice - check your guilty displeasures every now and then just in case.

Pretty much anything with no vocals. Post-rock, tasteful electronica, all that chin-stroking Quietus stuff. It's OK, but you could be listening to Shake It Off or that joke oi song Chumbawamba did instead.

Oh, and Why? (the shit whiny hip-hop band, not the perfect Discharge record). Why bother lol.

The Mekons were mint, though.

I loved The Fall as a live band, they were totally wonderful. I've never listened to their seminal albums though, and don't feel any real need to. I enjoy the albums of theirs I do have though, and will certainly pick any up that I see them in the chazzer for a reasonable price.

yes... I'm not paying to ship it from the US though... hopefully it all ends up on youtube. £40 from norman records too.

You might like this recording from Clitheroe Castle in '85 (it was broadcast live on Radio Lancashire, hence the quality being somewhat better than most bootlegs) - also recently released on vinyl.

I won't bother with the Beatles, they were before my time, so I can't judge.

David Bowie was pretty dull to me, I never got the hype. The Clash were generally shit, Radiohead, I've spoken of before. Lots of plodding stuff like the Manics just makes me want to leave the room, but I don't think that is too out there as most rational people must think they're proper shite.

Often for me it's how the singer or rapper sounds that determines if or how much I'll like them. Example - although I respect A Tribe Called Quest, I just can't get on with the way the vocals sound. I can appreciate the words, but I just don't like the voice. Whereas from a similar time and place, I love how Guru (rip) from Gang Starr sounded, he could rap his shopping list for all I cared.

You might like this recording from Clitheroe Castle in '85 (it was broadcast live on Radio Lancashire, hence the quality being somewhat better than most bootlegs) - also recently released on vinyl.

That is a nice sound too... particularly the bass. Would quite liked to have played bass for the fall, for a couple of years maybe.

Pretty much anything with no vocals. Post-rock, tasteful electronica, all that chin-stroking Quietus stuff. It's OK, but you could be listening to Shake It Off or that joke oi song Chumbawamba did instead.

Oh, and Why? (the shit whiny hip-hop band, not the perfect Discharge record). Why bother lol.

The Mekons were mint, though.
I'm the opposite. So many vocals seem to not add much, or are the same old tropes.

My guilty displeasures are indy, pop and rock. I appreciate excellent musicianship but I generally find guitar music just doesn't excite me.

I can still remember the feeling of discovery the first time I heard Doolittle. I'd never heard anything quite like it before.

Just goes to show. People are strange, and other people are just wrong. :p

The fall. Apart from their cover versions.
Can appreciate mes as an iconaclast and im glad they existed, especially through the 80s but...
Something about their sound and his voice feels uncomfortable and irritating. like a nylon shirt with a scratchy label.

I can still remember the feeling of discovery the first time I heard Doolittle. I'd never heard anything quite like it before.

Just goes to show. People are strange, and other people are just wrong. :p

Maybe because I'm not quite ancient enough ( ;) ) to be an original Pixies fan, when I did hear them as a sort of 'you should listen to this because the bands you like all love them' thing there wasn't anything new sounding about them by that point.

But on the other hand if I listed to something like Acid Tracks by Phuture I can imagine that would just blow your mind if it was totally new to you, in a way I can't with the Pixies.

The normal one that people are shocked (shocked!!) by is the Pixies. I don't hate them I just find them a bit dull tbh.

One that's apparently a classic that I really can't listen to at all is Neutral Milk Hotel.
Oh god yeah, or anything with supposedly wise or affecting lyrics. Goes in one ear and out the other

There's loads of canonical bands I either don't like or have no interest in. There's whole swathes of classic rock that I couldn't give a fuck about. There's bands that get big love from people whose tastes I respect that leave me cold or jumping to turn it off. And I'm fine with that. Not my thing. What we like to listen to is all subjective and that. The world would be boring if we all liked the same things.

The one I think that I should like and might be missing out on is jazz. Of course, jazz is a huge genre that's been around for over 100 years. There's plenty of jazz music I do like from Cab Calloway to Glenn Miller to Billie Holiday. There's loads of music I love that has been influenced by and probably wouldn't exist without jazz. But the stuff that really excites people, the stuff people get obsessive about - the Miles Davises and John Coltranes - nah.

I check it out every few years, people have recommended this album and that album as an introduction, I've watched YouTube videos explaining exactly why this tune or that tune is technically, objectively incredible, I've had people helpfully explain that I must be listening to it wrong. I've tried. But then I put an album on and I just don't like sound coming out of the speakers.

I came very late to the Pixies and perhaps I'm missing the historical context. The type of thing they were doing doesn't excite me greatly but I can appreciate it was new and different at the time. However it's their precise, polished playing that I dislike. They suck the energy out of the room.

Back
Top Bottom