Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Guilty displeasures

I now love this High Time album and I can't even imagine not liking it now. After all that fuss. It's weird how the brain latches (or fails to) onto to music, especially if it's a bit out there. I guess I was trying to listen to it while working and its just not that sort of thing (I'd had similar problems with MC5 before though).

Sorry this has been a bit of crazy thread. Please don't worry about me, I'm A OK.

Kind of agree about nick cave - really like stuff up henry's dream but gone further up his own arse with every year since. Always comes across as someone who takes himself waaay too seriously in interviews as well.

Listening to a lot of crust this week, which reminds me of how I've never seen the point of Amebix, and yet some people go on about them as if they were comparable to Discharge? Arguably one of the most over-rated bands ever, right up there with Belle & Sebastian.

Are there any bands you feel you should like but just don't? Do you feel you're missing out on something and just don't get it? I don't really have any guilty pleasures, but I have some real needling guilty displeasures.

I'm listening to MC5's High Time right now and it's doing everything I like - manic chaotic guitar driven but solid rock and roll songs. But I'm just not enjoying it, it sounds like a monotone racket to me. And it's not that I'm averse to that American hard rock/garage style - I like The Stooges and The Flaming Groovies and I've come round to the New York Dolls but ... just but.

I like Talking Heads hits Psycho Killer and Once in a Lifetime and Road to Nowhere. I can't get into their albums though.

I'm going through a 70's English folk phase, I like the Albion Band, Dando Shaft, Tudor Lodge, Pentangle, (early) Steeleye Span, Fresh Maggots, Anne Briggs. You know, all this twee nonsense - don't judge me! But for reasons I can't articulate, I just don't enjoy Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson or Sandy Denny who kickstarted all this. It's like they are too sophisticated and not twee enough for me. I feel like a right numbskull pixie, but that's the way it is.

I feel that there is something wrong with me, like I need a therapist or something. Have a go at talking me round on any of these or give me the good hard slap that I'm deserving. Because I know I'm wrong.

What's wrong with you? Or are guilty displeasures as silly as guilty pleasures?

I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."

A high profile follower on that one...

Last edited:
I've loved them since their first album. :)

My mate Gary calls their last album 'bumsex'. 'In Through the Out Door' :)
My better half loves them, my brothers loved them and the house was filled with them.....just can't connect with them.

Kind of agree about nick cave - really like stuff up henry's dream but gone further up his own arse with every year since. Always comes across as someone who takes himself waaay too seriously in interviews as well.
He should do a drill album. Just endless lists of old timey characters and how he's gonna shank them.

He should do a drill album. Just endless lists of old timey characters and how he's gonna shank them.

Nick Cave is one of those people where I could make one album of decent stuff from his whole output.

'Murder Ballads' wasn't a bad album.

This is a clip from his Glastonbury set. Quite extraordinary, a huge display of faith that he won't get pulled down into the crowd.

Nah, contemporary black music's vulgar, it's only music made by black people at least 50-odd years ago that's Cultured enough for Cave to rip off.

I see Angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,
Swoopin' down from Heaven to carry me home."

A high profile follower on that one...

It's something about the vocals that drains my interest. It's not so much I dislike his voice as much as the delivery. And now that you've made the connection with Dylan, I can hear the Dylan influence. That sort of panoramic nonchalance. If I had it on in the background I would get into to it slowly, but it doesn't excite me.

The guitar on Thompson's version of 1952 Black Vincent is excellent and the instrumental break is very interesting. I'd be happier with him just picking away.

Jesus and Marychain= 80's confrontational noise, wear black, Scottish (home-team advantage)

Just can't. Except sidewalking.

Same with MBV

Jesus and Marychain= 80's confrontational noise, wear black, Scottish (home-team advantage)

Just can't. Except sidewalking.

Same with MBV
MBV are alright but I feel like I can never properly get into them the way people who love MBV seem to be into them. Can't agree with you on Jesus and Mary Chain though, although in my head I might describe them as "lovely pop" before I'd describe them as confrontational noise? Maybe if you listen to them with pop ears on instead of noise ears they might sound better?

i saw jesus and mary chain once, ear-splitting and tuneless. my students were very impressed that their teacher knew about them though.

jesus and mary chain + roky erickson =

probably the best thing they ever did.

that said, zz top's version of the same song is better.

I'm not that familiar with JAMC, but I think of them as goth rather than pop. Not tuneless but melodically downbeat, which is a perfectly normal goth thing to be.

It's something about the vocals that drains my interest. It's not so much I dislike his voice as much as the delivery. And now that you've made the connection with Dylan, I can hear the Dylan influence. That sort of panoramic nonchalance. If I had it on in the background I would get into to it slowly, but it doesn't excite me.

The guitar on Thompson's version of 1952 Black Vincent is excellent and the instrumental break is very interesting. I'd be happier with him just picking away.
Mrs K saw Richard Thompson at Oxford Poly (as it was then) back in the 1970's. It was the session that formed part of the 'Guitar/Vocal' album. 'Night Comes In' and 'Calvary Cross' in particular were brilliant. Mrs K says she had an out-of-body experience at that gig. Interestingly we played the album one night decades later and our cat, who never before or since took any notice of the speakers, spent all her time during those two tracks miaowing at them. A feline display of approval or approbation? Alas we shall never know. Our cat died a couple of years ago and she never let on.

MBV are alright but I feel like I can never properly get into them the way people who love MBV seem to be into them. Can't agree with you on Jesus and Mary Chain though, although in my head I might describe them as "lovely pop" before I'd describe them as confrontational noise? Maybe if you listen to them with pop ears on instead of noise ears they might sound better?
Yeh the whole JAMC 'switch off urge' has maybe got me on the wrong end of the stick. But I mean that's what the tread is about. I SHOULD know this band, they tick all the boxes for me. It's right up my alley. If you asked people who know me- they'd say 'oh yeh he's a biiiig fan'
JAMC are the beach boys with feedback

(this is a good thing)
SEE, that does sound good! ! :facepalm:««--at self

Back
Top Bottom