Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

It's more difficult/complicated than that, though, I think. Sometimes there's a subtext here that really does go unoticed (though one that was hinted at by revol, above) which is that sometimes people can be blunt (which is what I think Blagsta was being) precisely because you respect the poster. From stuff I've observed, I think Edie is one of the genuinely warmest, most generous, decent human beings on here - but she also posts some fucking awful crap at times in the politics threads. And I think she does get genuinely upset (not just the prostitution stuff) with some of the disagreements - how to deal with that when it's just words on a message board and there aren't the other ways that the meaning of what is said gets modulated with face-to-face communication...
This is a point I think most of us forget sometimes. This is a message board. People get taken the wrong way for exactly this reason. It's the same reason why irony is such a dangerous thing on here, and all of us miss the irony half the time. Not only is it just words on a message board, but it's also just words on a message board that a lot of us are banging out very quickly when we should be doing something else.

That is a dramatic change! Why do you think that is?
I honestly don't know. It's too big a gap to put it down to child raising career breaks, in my opinion. I think it's down to whether or not female PhD students are encouraged to pursue an academic career - my supervisor didn't really encourage me, for example, as he said he wouldn't support any application for a post-doc at the same department, and when I started to investigate post-doc options elsewhere he wasn't supportive at all. Yet my brother who did a PhD in the same department was heavily supported and had a post-doc there for at least a year. I know I wasn't the only student that experienced this, there were at least two other female students at the same time who had similar experiences.

Also, whilst Phd funding has increased significantly, funding for post-docs hasn't increased at the same rate so there is even more competition for post-doc positions. I think many women are discoutaged by this point and choose other careers.

The choice of analogy. That choice carries with it a weight of past conversations, as well as the condemnation of social morality.

The thing is that I am super-sensitive to this stuff and I have to admit that I didn't notice it straight away either. I thought, "yeah, fair point, good demonstration that one man's 'normal' is another man's 'odd'". But once the weight of context had been pointed out, I had to admit that it was more complicated than it first appeared.

This is bollocks though. Edie is not offended, once she understood the intention. The only people being offended here are the frankly increasingly twisted ymu and stella.

As I said earlier - this brings up a more general point about working with "vulnerable" people. Stella (and others) seem to think that this involves patting them on the head and saying "poor you" while walking on eggshells. It doesn't. It involves establishing a good relationship and then maybe discussing difficult and challenging topics - its a judgement call as to when and how to do this. Sometimes your client will react angrily - that's not a bad thing. Anger is a normal and healthy emotion. Hopefully if the relationship is good enough, the anger will go and the actual substance of whatever it is can be thought about. Working with vulnerable people does not mean avoiding certain topics for fear of upset.

Now, obviously I'm not implying that was what I was doing here, 'cos I'm not in any kind of professional relationship with Edie (and I'm only referring to it cos of what stella said about me working with vulnerable people), but it sheds light on a general point about discussing stuff on here. I think I have a good enough relationship with Edie to say what I said - as has been pointed out, I was referring to an earlier discussion on the normality (or otherwise) of prostitution. Now, either referring to points made in previous threads is out of bounds or it isn't. It's really patronising to expect that certain things are not referred to because that person is perceived to be "vulnerable". If I'd made a direct comment about Edie sex working, that would have been out of order - but I didn't. I referred to a more general discussion about prostitution. The only people dragging up Edie's sex work is stella and ymu - the ones making out they are defending her. That's twisted and head fucky and borderline abusive.

It's more difficult/complicated than that, though, I think. Sometimes there's a subtext here that really does go unoticed (though one that was hinted at by revol, above) which is that sometimes people can be blunt (which is what I think Blagsta was being) precisely because you respect the poster. From stuff I've observed, I think Edie is one of the genuinely warmest, most generous, decent human beings on here - but she also posts some fucking awful crap at times in the politics threads. And I think she does get genuinely upset (not just the prostitution stuff) with some of the disagreements - how to deal with that when it's just words on a message board and there aren't the other ways that the meaning of what is said gets modulated with face-to-face communication...

I'm glad you get this - it's what I was getting at in my previous post.

If you had read the thread from the beginning, you'll notice a number of posts sarcatically congratulating men for reaching a conclusion that women had already posted several times but been ignored on.

It wasn't a personal dig at you, you over-sensitive little kitten.

Still, kind of me to make a point that you could take exaggerated offence at instead of engaging with the main issue. I'm nice like that. :rolleyes:

I'm not at all offended at the innuendo so much as the fact you think your shit isn't pathetically transparent.

I also take offense that instead of having the guts to actually outright say that Blagsta was being oppressive you danced around it and tried to make out you were only asking an innocent question about whether or not people could internalise oppressive behaviour as well as internalising their own oppression.

As it is I think Blagsta's comment was fair enough, I also understand why Edie might feel uncomfortable with it, that's life and both of them seemed quite capable of sorting out the misunderstanding between them without idiotic recourse to painting either of themselves as the poor oppressed and the mean oppressor.

So I'm lost as to why you feel the need to intervene with your not so subtle shit stirring.

Is maths a particularly fast moving discipline, in which you're left at a huge disadvantage should you take a couple of years out for childcare? I thought that most of it had already been invented.
To be fair, there are fellowships aimed at encouraging women back into academia, particularly in the sciences, but they are few and far between.

It's not that the maths or techniques aren't new, it's that if you take a couple of years out for childcare, you aren't publishing papers or doing research or any of the other things that you're required to have on your CV to even meet job selection criteria, let alone get the job.

To be fair, there are fellowships aimed at encouraging women back into academia, particularly in the sciences, but they are few and far between.

It's not that the maths or techniques aren't new, it's that if you take a couple of years out for childcare, you aren't publishing papers or doing research or any of the other things that you're required to have on your CV to even meet job selection criteria, let alone get the job.
Yeah, I get the impression that is a general problem across academia - that there is a somewhat 'macho' publishing culture. (It's often to the detriment of the subject too - slow development of an idea over many years in a way that doesn't allow interim papers simply can't be done.)

I know a couple of scientists who've quit due to not being able to compete because they've had kids and won't devote their life to their work, work part-time etc.

You really that slow?

The first line is me pointing out that Edie does not need to apologise for reading his post in that way.

The second line is acknowledging that she has every right to forgive him, but his failure to simply apologise on the thread instead of repeated self-justifying means that I think it's reasonable to ask him to provide an explanation for that post on the thread.

The final paragraph is pointing out the irony. This started because Edie objected to being told she was oppressed and this led to a discussion about internalisation of oppression. Yet when a bloke makes a comment that several posters interpreted as oppressive, they're simply wrong because he's not like that. Women internalise oppression but men don't internalise oppressiveness? I'd love to see a thread on that ...
you're talking shit, as revol's pointed out. there's the executive summary, more when i'm in front of a computer.

I know a couple of scientists who've quit due to not being able to compete because they've had kids and won't devote their life to their work, work part-time etc.
The expectations these days are unrealistic. I've known of cases where post-docs have been expected to work for free because the permanent academic they report to has not sorted out the contract paperwork with HR, not to mention the pressures to publish, to get funding of their own, to supervise project students, to teach, to manage large multi-institute research programs with no support or training. Given all the extra work and hours involved, I'm not surprised many opt out of the system

The expectations these days are unrealistic. I've known of cases where post-docs have been expected to work for free because the permanent academic they report to has not sorted out the contract paperwork with HR, not to mention the pressures to publish, to get funding of their own, to supervise project students, to teach, to manage large multi-institute research programs with no support or training. Given all the extra work and hours involved, I'm not surprised many opt out of the system
tbh, I can see how that particularly discriminates against women, but it's also a mad way to do things for everyone. It discriminates against a lot of sane men too. A good example of how changing a culture as a result of pressure to specifically make it not discriminate against women ends up benefiting everyone.

I honestly don't know. It's too big a gap to put it down to child raising career breaks, in my opinion. I think it's down to whether or not female PhD students are encouraged to pursue an academic career - my supervisor didn't really encourage me, for example, as he said he wouldn't support any application for a post-doc at the same department, and when I started to investigate post-doc options elsewhere he wasn't supportive at all. Yet my brother who did a PhD in the same department was heavily supported and had a post-doc there for at least a year. I know I wasn't the only student that experienced this, there were at least two other female students at the same time who had similar experiences.

Also, whilst Phd funding has increased significantly, funding for post-docs hasn't increased at the same rate so there is even more competition for post-doc positions. I think many women are discoutaged by this point and choose other careers.
Not in the same ballpark but when the kabbess mentioned to her maths teacher in the sixth form that she wanted to apply to Cambridge, he told her that girls didn't really do maths and certainly not at Cambridge. He followed that up by saying that only one person from her school had ever gone to Cambridge, and that was a boy. "I know," she said, "that was my brother." He shut up after that.

That was 1998. Hardly the dark days of the 60s. The attitudes persist. Sometimes blatantly, like that. But more usually at a more subtle level, manifesting itself in the way in which people interact, encourage or discourage, give opinions and do all that body language stuff.

The only person I know in rela life with a Phd in Maths is my cousin and she's a girl (funny enough being a she), I'm slightly in awe of people with Phd's in maths, it's not like the humanities.

Though I say I'm in awe of such people I don't want to hang out with them, weirdos. ;)

Not in the same ballpark but when the kabbess mentioned to her maths teacher in the sixth form that she wanted to apply to Cambridge, he told her that girls didn't really do maths and certainly not at Cambridge. He followed that up by saying that only one person from her school had ever gone to Cambridge, and that was a boy. "I know," she said, "that was my brother." He shut up after that.

That was 1998. Hardly the dark days of the 60s. The attitudes persist. Sometimes blatantly, like that. But more usually at a more subtle level, manifesting itself in the way in which people interact, encourage or discourage, give opinions and do all that body language stuff.
I was told not to bother applying to Oxford. By a male teacher, natch.

A bloke on my poker site asked me for advice recently and we exchanged some PMs. He ended one message with "Hope you don't mind me asking but I thought I'd ask a smart guy." In my response, I noted that I was a gal not a guy. He instantly switched from asking me for advice to giving me some incredibly patronising unasked for advice, despite already knowing that I play considerably higher stakes than he does. Quite remarkable.

They've had to introduce a women's issues forum there because of the unchecked misogyny on the site. Easier than moderating the whole site properly, I guess. Still, the sexist assumptions made about female poker players make it very easy for us to take their money, so I tolerate it. ;)

The only person I know in rela life with a Phd in Maths is my cousin and she's a girl (funny enough being a she), I'm slightly in awe of people with Phd's in maths, it's not like the humanities.

Though I say I'm in awe of such people I don't want to hang out with them, weirdos. ;)
It's so much fun at parties - people are interested in you when they find out you have a PhD, then when they find out it's in maths they walk away. Literally. :(

I am a weirdo.

Back
Top Bottom