Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Go on... rape her... she won't report it... [UniLad magazine article]

if we're talking about trivialisation of things like rape being the reason for an increase in rape jokes, then i gotta say i think it's actually the complete opposite. rape isn't being trivialised, it's vilified now more than it ever has been in history. to take a different slant on frogwoman's thesis (i.e. 'that there are times where because something is so unimaginable the only way to imagine it is through jokes') i think that the appeal of rape jokes does come partly through a morbid fascination with the taboo, but the taboo itself isn't created because people can't emotionally 'take' the subject matter. it's because now more than ever, in most modern Western societies, people are aware of how inappropriate and base such behaviours are. i don't have statistics to hand on this (and i think that all statistics on the issue are probably misleading) but tbh i wouldn't be surprised if rates of actual sexual assaults had been pretty steadily on the decrease since post-war. certainly the issue is no longer 'swept under the carpet' in the public debate anymore, nor is it shielded from view by communal and family hierarchies and structures in the same way.

so yeah i think that especially with some of the more detailed and vulgar of these jokes it's about breaching the rules of an indisputably 'serious' topic, on which sobriety is the socially expected norm. it's the natural reaction of 'youngsters' who, as some have noted, usually haven't known of such serious events in their own lives to want to break the rule. it's like the laughter-trap in the two minutes' silence.

it's more distasteful with the lot in question here mainly because they're at an age by which most people have actually had some life experience to tell them that some topics are no-go areas - FOR GOOD REASON... but there is a segment of cossetted middle-England suburbian type kids who never drank or had a girlfriend before university whose closest experience to anything 'dangerous' or 'real' in life is grotesque violence in gangland thriller films.

but that said i also think that there's a culture of indulgent frankness amongst would-be moral crusaders which is also to blame. people have already noted some of urban's ultra-violent diatribes and i think they're often a good representation of the morally righteous pyscho-sexual revenge fantasies which essentially 'up the ante'. to be frank, in some ways it has been the left which has encouraged a more gritty, detailed, brutal and honest account of sexual violence in public discourse - with good reason (thinking about social realist films from the 70s, feminist campaigns against being 'ashamed', etc). however, one of the side-effects of such traumatic personal experiences openly entering the mainstream discourse is that they have taken on a moralistic and pious tone. that's to say, it's Ok to account rape or general sexual violence as vividly and as sickeningly as you like, so long as you're condemning it, and you make a repeated and constant point about condemning it. obviously this attitude emerged to discourage exactly the kind of profusion of 'jokes' which we see today, but the whole process let the genie out of the bottle. once images and descriptions are out there they're in the public imagination - but then there's also the added factor that people are expected not to even think about them unless it's in a kosher political context - but the cultural images themselves are still everywhere, sometimes impossible to miss. when that's backed up by the likes of some posters on here, aggressively indulging themselves in violent fantasies about what they'd do to transgressors of these rules 'if only they were within arms reach' explains in part, i think, the contempt of the likes of those facebook defenders of 'Unilad' towards 'censorship'. tbh i can think of one poster one here whose recent obsession with violent castration of transgressors and pretty much everyone he violently disagrees with concerns me more in terms of underlying sexual aggression than unilad stuff. not that i'm actually concerned or anything, i'm not a fucking sissy or anything.

personally, as a 'youth' or whatever, i don't think a single one of the people on that board actually think that rape is Ok, and without getting into too much simplistic pyscho-babble analysis i do think that in the context of such 'banter' actually the really risky sorts are more likely, in most circumstances, to opt for exaggerated offence around the issue. that's not to say that there isn't a complete absence of personal responsibility present amongst that crowd which could lead towards serious sexual assault, because there is and freshers weeks across the country and every year are choc-a-bloc with stories about dubious and questionable encounters. but often those involved probably wouldn't consider what they'd done to be 'rape', as they understand in linear terms that rape is 'bad' - which is why i think the 'don't be that guy' campaign is probably a good idea.

i also think that from what i know of the 1970s, in real terms there is no way in hell that things aren't better for women in pretty much every way now in attitudes towards pretty much everything (domestic violence, sexual violence, etc). i also think that the kids are, in their own way far more aware of the fact that such things are bad, even if they lack the emotional experience for them to want to avoid the topic in the realms of 'jokes'.

my two cents anyway

if we're talking about trivialisation of things like rape being the reason for an increase in rape jokes, then i gotta say i think it's actually the complete opposite. rape isn't being trivialised, it's vilified now more than it ever has been in history. to take a different slant on frogwoman's thesis (i.e. 'that there are times where because something is so unimaginable the only way to imagine it is through jokes') i think that the appeal of rape jokes does come partly through a morbid fascination with the taboo, but the taboo itself isn't created because people can't emotionally 'take' the subject matter. it's because now more than ever, in most modern Western societies, people are aware of how inappropriate and base such behaviours are. i don't have statistics to hand on this (and i think that all statistics on the issue are probably misleading) but tbh i wouldn't be surprised if rates of actual sexual assaults had been pretty steadily on the decrease since post-war. certainly the issue is no longer 'swept under the carpet' in the public debate anymore, nor is it shielded from view by communal and family hierarchies and structures in the same way. <snip>
Rape is one of the most underreported crimes there is, even today, so to make the statement above that you have made is staggering. How will you ever know this? You are aware that until 1991 a married woman couldn't legally be raped by her husband because the marital exemption was still in force?

err well that would go somewhat further to give evidence to what i'm saying wouldn't it

ETA and for your info, i was aware about marital exemption though i didn't have the precise date, and it was exactly the kind of thing i was getting at.

err well that would go somewhat further to give evidence to what i'm saying wouldn't it

ETA and for your info, i was aware about marital exemption though i didn't have the precise date, and it was exactly the kind of thing i was getting at.
But the only way to prove what you're saying is to look at the the statistics, which you've already said you don't trust.

Furthermore, removing the marital rape exemption would have lead to a potential increase in the number of rape cases being reported, not a decrease as you stated.

So no, I don't think it gives evidence to what you've said at all.

Reactions: ymu
i very specifically said 'i wouldn't be surprised', and i wouldn't. attitudes towards all these topics are becoming far more sensitive year on year, amongst all sections of society. the marital exemption laws are a case in point. up until the early 90s rape wasn't even legally recognised within marriage - now, 20 years on, it most certainly is. not only that but there's an increasing awareness of all forms of behaviour which are threatening and intimidatory.

an in the context of that movement there's also an increase in 'jokes' about it.

ETA and i wasn't talking about an increase or decrease in 'reporting', i was talking about actual happenings (which are incredibly difficult to catalogue, hence the statistics being misleading)

I think the 'joke' culture is responsible for a huge increase in the number of rapes. There is a huge amount of confusion about what rape actually is and that a lot of men rape women without thinking they're raping them. Certainly the bloke that raped me really didn't think he had.

Yes, I think that it's talked about a lot more but I think there is a widening gap in the public consciousness between 'bad' rape and 'really not that bad' rape - which was pretty much what Ken Clarke was saying. A lot of people think that women who go out and get pissed or wear short skirts are asking for it or that they are at least accessories to their own rapes.

i still think that attitude (i.e. 'she was asking for it') is demonstrably less prevalent now than in the past. and also, as others have pointed out, for whatever the stats are worth it's not normally after a night on the piss that it happens to people.. it's usually in the context of controlled family/social circle environments.

when you look back at 70s and 80s TV (some episodes of Topof the Pops are fucking appalling (check out the intro to The Strawbs here from Jimmy Saville, leching over teenage 'girlies' - eeeuurgh)... i just can't see the 'good rape'/'bad rape' being anywhere near as prominent today as the past

ETA and i wasn't talking about an increase or decrease in 'reporting', i was talking about actual happenings (which are incredibly difficult to catalogue, hence the statistics being misleading)

I know you weren't talking about reporting and I am aware of the difficulties but I don't think you can make such a sweeping statement about rape occurrences decreasing since the 1940s/1950s without providing some kind of substantiation - which will inevitably involving statistics.

well ok i'll clarify, i said 'i wouldn't be surprised' and i wouldn't be surprised, from what i know about cultural progression, reading biographies and keeping an eye on popular culture throughout all the 20th C, you can really see massive changes in general attitudes which are still undergoing development and it would surprise me if that hadn't had an impact upon attacks

i said it wouldn't surprise me if there were fewer assaults today, based upon the fact that today's culture is far more aware of what constitutes sexual assault and behaviours which are predatory and intimidatory are also less prevalent and acceptable.

i only said it because there seems to be some kind of assumption that things are getting worse, which is the basis of this whole thread, and which i just don't think bares any correlation with reality

I really don't understand your logic. If 'today's culture' is far more aware of what constitutes sexual assault and predatory behaviours are less prevalent, then why are there 'joke rape' t-shirts and websites like this? I don't see any evidence whatsoever to back up your assertion

I think the 'joke' culture is responsible for a huge increase in the number of rapes. There is a huge amount of confusion about what rape actually is and that a lot of men rape women without thinking they're raping them. Certainly the bloke that raped me really didn't think he had.

Yes, I think that it's talked about a lot more but I think there is a widening gap in the public consciousness between 'bad' rape and 'really not that bad' rape - which was pretty much what Ken Clarke was saying. A lot of people think that women who go out and get pissed or wear short skirts are asking for it or that they are at least accessories to their own rapes.
'Like' does not seem appropriate here - but I certainly agree with what you are saying.

I think what has changed over the last 20 years is that the notion that 'stranger rape' is the only type of rape has been shown to be wrong.

well that's the whole point, the jokes emerge because it's less acceptable, because there's a huge social awareness of it hanging over people's heads and it makes people nervous... hence it being something which can summon an easy laugh. as i say, it's not completely unlike the laughter-trap you can caught in during a minutes' silence, or any situation where you're running the risk of getting a serious bollocking.

edit, to trashpony

i said it wouldn't surprise me if there were fewer assaults today, based upon the fact that today's culture is far more aware of what constitutes sexual assault and behaviours which are predatory and intimidatory are also less prevalent and acceptable.

i only said it because there seems to be some kind of assumption that things are getting worse, which is the basis of this whole thread, and which i just don't think bares any correlation with reality

Today's culture may be far more aware of what constitutes rape but that doesn't mean that it happens less.

No, the thread assumes that some people's attitudes may be getting worse and that the increase in 'joking' about it may lead to a reversal of current attitudes towards rape - a sort of cultural rebound where some young men take the jokes as carte blanche to do reclaim the act itself, or summat like that.

i think it's the nature of 'joking' and humour generally which runs opposite to social logic about acceptability

Really don't think that is the case at all, as sadly this thread seems to bear out.
http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/murder-and-rape-on-moorlands-estate-somerleyton-road.289700/

There was a thread somewhere where female posters were discussing incidents of men shouting at them or behaving inappropriately on the street that plenty of male posters were amazed at just how common it was.
You probably won't see it though, as much.

Today's culture may be far more aware of what constitutes rape but that doesn't mean that it happens less.

no it doesn't necessarily, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did. for starters, even discounting cultural factors and awareness, it's probably a lot harder to get away with today than in the past where there was the whole issue of stifling communal morality operating against victims

well that's the whole point, the jokes emerge because it's less acceptable, because there's a huge social awareness of it hanging over people's heads and it makes people nervous... hence it being something which can summon an easy laugh. as i say, it's not completely unlike the laughter-trap you can caught in during a minutes' silence, or any situation where you're running the risk of getting a serious bollocking.

edit, to trashpony
That doesn't really seem to follow. There is more of a "public" expectation that sexual assault is bad - and that certain things really _are_ sexual assault - than a few decades ago I'd say, but one could quite easily say that rape jokes etc are explicitly rejecting this, i.e. that it's still just as acceptable as it was for the people concerned and they are saying so.

From the NUS 'Hidden Marks Report:

• 1 in 7 survey respondents have experienced some kind of verbal or non-verbal harassment in and around their institution. This includes groping, flashing, unwanted sexual comments.
  • 12% of respondents had been subject to stalking.
  • Over 1 in 10 had been a victim of serious physical violence.
  • 7% have been subject to serious sexual assault.
  • In the majority of cases in all incident categories the perpetrator was known to the victim.
  • 81% of victims of serious sexual assault knew their attacker.
  • 89% of stalkers were men.
  • 73% of the perpetrators of physical violence were men.
  • Students were the majority of perpetrators in most categories, except for 'physical violence' where just under half were students (48%).
The report also revealed that of the students who were seriously sexually assaulted only 4%reported to their University and only 10% reported to the police. They gave the following reasons for not reporting it:
- ‘I didn’t think it was serious enough to report’: 45%
- ‘I didn’t think that what happended was a crime: 42%
- 'I thought I could handle it myself': 46%
- 'I felt ashamed or embarrassed': 50%
- 'I thought I would be blamed for what happened': 43%
- 'I didn’t think I would feel comfortable talking to the police about it': 33%
- 'I didn’t want my parents/family to find out': 33%
- 'I didn’t think I would be believed': 33%
- 'I didn't want my friends to find out': 25%

I don't know about previous years, and I don't know about you, but I find that all pretty appalling. That doesn't really suggest we've come along very far, does it.

no it doesn't necessarily, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did. for starters, even discounting cultural factors and awareness, it's probably a lot harder to get away with today than in the past where there was the whole issue of stifling communal morality operating against victims
Not really, as not many get reported and the police are often worse than useless when it is.

You realise that rape has the lowest prosecution rate of all crimes? That a conviction rate of less than 10% is common? Do you still stand by your statement that 'it's probably a lot harder to get away with'?

I don't want to excuse this website at all - what they said was bang out of order - but it is possible that they were being stupid, ignorant young fools but not anything particularly more sinister, and even that they don't represent anything new, except that it's now possible to instantly publish stuff like this.

If could just as well be the case that rape was less common pre WW2. Women were more closely shaporaned, less likely to be in vunerbale situations. Those that did go to college were strictly segregated from males. A women alone in private space with a man who was not her husband or son would be seriously frowned upon.

In addition we have a far more sexualised culture, an idea that sex is not such a big deal and that men - especially young men - may believe that women are more 'up for it' then was the case 50 years ago - and that if they're not then there's something wrong with them.
Put all that together with the attitudes displayed by the twats at Uni-Lad and you have a situation where young men can quite easily convince themselves that rape is ok - and thats its only really rape if its a stranger dragging a women into the bushes at knifepoint etc.

From the NUS 'Hidden Marks Report:

• 1 in 7 survey respondents have experienced some kind of verbal or non-verbal harassment in and around their institution. This includes groping, flashing, unwanted sexual comments.
  • 12% of respondents had been subject to stalking.
  • Over 1 in 10 had been a victim of serious physical violence.
  • 7% have been subject to serious sexual assault.
  • In the majority of cases in all incident categories the perpetrator was known to the victim.
  • 81% of victims of serious sexual assault knew their attacker.
  • 89% of stalkers were men.
  • 73% of the perpetrators of physical violence were men.
  • Students were the majority of perpetrators in most categories, except for 'physical violence' where just under half were students (48%).
The report also revealed that of the students who were seriously sexually assaulted only 4%reported to their University and only 10% reported to the police. They gave the following reasons for not reporting it:
- ‘I didn’t think it was serious enough to report’: 45%
- ‘I didn’t think that what happended was a crime: 42%
- 'I thought I could handle it myself': 46%
- 'I felt ashamed or embarrassed': 50%
- 'I thought I would be blamed for what happened': 43%
- 'I didn’t think I would feel comfortable talking to the police about it': 33%
- 'I didn’t want my parents/family to find out': 33%
- 'I didn’t think I would be believed': 33%
- 'I didn't want my friends to find out': 25%

I don't know about previous years, and I don't know about you, but I find that all pretty appalling. That doesn't really suggest we've come along very far, does it.
I find those figures horrifying. Thanks for the research and posting them.

You're assuming that women report it. They don't. See purenarcotic's post.

I find those figures horrifying. Thanks for the research and posting them.
They are horrifying. Sadly not surprising though. I would be surprised if it were anything new, although Kaka Tim may have a point about society in the past. Problem is that we can't really know. If reporting is a massive problem now, it was a far worse problem half a century ago.

Thinking about societal change, something I haven't heard for a while, but which I could never get my head around when I did hear it in the past, was men out on the pull referring to women as 'it'. There certainly used to be a particular kind of man who did that.

Back
Top Bottom