Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Give up Bingo and Booze if your Benefit is being cut!

shygirl said:
Oh, about the kids drinking red bull in the morning. Kenny g came under a lot of attack and vitriol for his postings earlier, but he isn't wrong about kids eating/drinking absolute shite in the mornings. Kids often go to school without breakfast, or they get given some money to buy some on their way to school. Usually ending up with crisps/sweets/fizzy drinks. And like someone said, a bag of porridge oats costs next to nothing.

All of you posters who protest about these kinds of things being said, would you allow your OWN children to eat crap before going to school? If not, why is it acceptable for anyone else to allow it. Stop patronising working class people. The way I have always worked is, how would I want my child to be treated? If its not acceptable for my own, then why should I think it ok for others.

If kids are clocked turning up to school hungry social services are usually informed.

If kids are clocked turning up to school hungry social services are usually informed.
Not always, there's too many. Having worked in 15 schools in Lambeth, and 4 in Tower Hamlets, I saw enough of it to make me really sad. And you try getting a referral about neglect taken on by hard-pressed inner-city boroughs.

Because they are wearing a school uniform for a school which is two bus stops away from the tube station. I travel the opposite direction and see the hoards fighting to get on a bus to carry them two bus stops to school. Hardly detective work.
But do you follow them home so you can establish that their parents are living below the poverty line and giving them cans of Red Bull in the morning?

Most teenagers suffer from delayed sleep phase syndrome, something I have a lifelong version of. They're being forced to keep normal school hours on not enough sleep. I used to drink two cans of Red Bull on the way to work every day and two more at lunchtime because it delivers caffeine and energy quickly enough. Getting up even earlier to have a proper breakfast isn't an option.

Some schools have been sensible enough to establish later hours for older pupils. :cool:

I'm not saying it's a good idea. It landed me in hospital. But this is so obviously a decision the teenagers are making for themselves, it's fucking obscene that someone sees a kid with a can of energy drink and immediately thinks "feckless parents in financial poverty did this :mad:".

Oh, about the kids drinking red bull in the morning. Kenny g came under a lot of attack and vitriol for his postings earlier, but he isn't wrong about kids eating/drinking absolute shite in the mornings. Kids often go to school without breakfast, or they get given some money to buy some on their way to school. Usually ending up with crisps/sweets/fizzy drinks. And like someone said, a bag of porridge oats costs next to nothing.

All of you posters who protest about these kinds of things being said, would you allow your OWN children to eat crap before going to school? If not, why is it acceptable for anyone else to allow it. Stop patronising working class people. The way I have always worked is, how would I want my child to be treated? If its not acceptable for my own, then why should I think it ok for others.

Kenny g was (rightly) subjected to such levels of vitriol because, when it was explained to him (in a perfectly reasonable manner) why tenants of Eastlands Homes were pissed off about their landlords portrayal of them, he chose to respond by spouting some knee jerk irrelevent rubbish about kids drinking red bull on the way to school. TBH this whole debate about kids eating unhealthy food on the way to school is a massive derail.

And that crap about a bag of porridge oats costing next to nothing? I've only been on urban for a relatively short time, but even I'm sick of the smug & self satisfied "I lived off a sack of lentils a week when I was poor, why can't they?" bullshit that crops up with all the regularity of the bowels of someone who's been eating those lentils more or less every time any aspect of poverty is discussed on here.

I think you might have misunderstood. Nobody has said that red bull is an acceptable breakfast, just that it's not all poor people, and also that it's cheaper than he thought. You're arguing against a point nobody made.

Your last post was great, but it's starting to sound like you're the only working-class person having to educate a bunch of naive poshos about the realities of being poor. Maybe that's what it's like for you at work or something, but I'm fairly sure you already know that lots of people on this thread do not need such education. I certainly don't.

I think you might have misunderstood..... it's starting to sound like you're the only working-class person having to educate a bunch of naive poshos about the realities of being poor. Maybe that's what it's like for you ....

It is this kind of patronising twaddle that has resulted in people choosing to disengage from politics.

Er, no, not always. And certainly not where there's substance abuse (not talking about the occasional drink/spliff here). And what's really sad is that there are very often kids caught up in these scenarios who have no choice.

Everyone is going to put water, food, heating and a trying to secure a roof over their head first. Even those few in hostels I came across with a smack habit did that.
'No I don't want water and food my habit comes first.'
'Don't need a roof and I'm alright freezing to death thanks.'
Get real.

Everyone is going to put water, food, heating and a trying to secure a roof over their head first. Even those few in hostels I came across with a smack habit did that.

So she made up the story about someone saying they would use the electricity to watch TV rather than heat a pizza?

Back
Top Bottom