Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Give up Bingo and Booze if your Benefit is being cut!

so long has it been, and so long it'll be.

of course no one would want their kid doing that, but what teenager on the way to school, middle, working, or upper class thinks, i am going to stop off and buy a nice big fat pot of greek yogart with oats topped off by sliced melon and a gronola bar?

Unless you want a spectacular bout of the shits around midday, anyway, if your guts are unused to such delights!

It is this kind of patronising twaddle that has resulted in people choosing to disengage from politics.

Another unsubstantiable comment that accords to right-tabloidese, but not much else. There's a surprise.

Of course, people who are less likely to buy their opinions wholesale from the media will know, from actually examining the reason(s) (plural!) why people are turning away from party politics will know that it's all about investment and reward. Put simply (because if nothing else, you're a simpleton) a significant minority (sometimes even a bare majority) of people won't give alliegance to a party if there's no percentage in it for them. Even "tribal" voters don't always vote tribally.
Mind you, if you were as PFWC as you're attempting to imply, you'd actually know this because you'd have lived it.

Again, it wasn't my intention to preach about working class life. Can't help my history. And I'm certainly not up for punishing working class people.

Oh, why the fuck would I make up a story about pizzas?!! Seriously, I think some posters on here must be a bit out of touch

You say it is patronising to expect little of the working class, you sound equally patronising with your hero complex to be honest.

These people don't need saving. They may need support and advice so they understand what their options are, but they don't need somebody to swoop in and save them.

I am sure you don't do that in your work, but you're making it sound like you do and it is as equally fucking patronising as it is somebody saying 'the poor poor people are incapable of knowing that they might need to make use of budgeting skills'.

You can teach people life skills without being patronising. You can talk about teaching life skills without being patronising. You are utterly failing in the latter and it is hugely ironic seeing as you jumped in complaining posters were being patronising.

You say it is patronising to expect little of the working class, you sound equally patronising with your hero complex to be honest.

These people don't need saving. They may need support and advice so they understand what their options are, but they don't need somebody to swoop in and save them.

I am sure you don't do that in your work, but you're making it sound like you do and it is as equally fucking patronising as it is somebody saying 'the poor poor people are incapable of knowing that they might need to make use of budgeting skills'.

You can teach people life skills without being patronising. You can talk about teaching life skills without being patronising. You are utterly failing in the latter and it is hugely ironic seeing as you jumped in complaining posters were being patronising.

I share your view that people don't need saving, not sure how I conveyed that in my posts. Its about support and advice, and people making their own choices. I imagine that 'swooping in to save people' would be counter-productive, disempowering, and bullying, to name but a few. The people I work with do most of the work, I can't do it for them. There must be/have been workers out there out there who have done more for service users than is useful, cos I sometimes come across very unreal expectations of what professionals can/should be doing, comments along the lines of 'that worker didn't do anything, this one was no good, my kid is still doing this etc, etc. At that juncture, I'd be working with my client to explore what part THEY can play in helping to resolve the issues, with back-up, advice and guidance from myself and any other professionals that may or may not be involved. And I usually say to parents (this is in my family work), that its likely to be a difficult journey but if they stick with it, things will get a whole heap better. Been working with one really difficult case recently where one of the children has been abusive, verbally and sometimes physically, towards his mum. She's done an amazing job, I mean, really amazing, in taking back parental control and reducing the number of incidents. And the child himself is happier. It was team work, not me 'swooping in to save' them.

I might be "utterly failing in the latter" (teaching life skills without being patronising') on these boards, but I don't believe that's how I do it in practice. And what's a hero complex? I looked it up, but could only find hero syndrome, a feature of which is creating crises/situations where one can come out the hero:eek:

I will reflect on my posts, as there is a lot of negative feedback. That's not, in the main, what I get in feedback from the yp and families I work with, but I'm always ready to take criticism and reflect on things I say/delivery of what I say.

I share your view that people don't need saving, not sure how I conveyed that in my posts. Its about support and advice, and people making their own choices. I imagine that 'swooping in to save people' would be counter-productive, disempowering, and bullying, to name but a few. The people I work with do most of the work, I can't do it for them. There must be/have been workers out there out there who have done more for service users than is useful, cos I sometimes come across very unreal expectations of what professionals can/should be doing, comments along the lines of 'that worker didn't do anything, this one was no good, my kid is still doing this etc, etc. At that juncture, I'd be working with my client to explore what part THEY can play in helping to resolve the issues, with back-up, advice and guidance from myself and any other professionals that may or may not be involved. And I usually say to parents (this is in my family work), that its likely to be a difficult journey but if they stick with it, things will get a whole heap better. Been working with one really difficult case recently where one of the children has been abusive, verbally and sometimes physically, towards his mum. She's done an amazing job, I mean, really amazing, in taking back parental control and reducing the number of incidents. And the child himself is happier. It was team work, not me 'swooping in to save' them.

I might be "utterly failing in the latter" (teaching life skills without being patronising') on these boards, but I don't believe that's how I do it in practice. And what's a hero complex? I looked it up, but could only find hero syndrome, a feature of which is creating crises/situations where one can come out the hero:eek:

I will reflect on my posts, as there is a lot of negative feedback. That's not, in the main, what I get in feedback from the yp and families I work with, but I'm always ready to take criticism and reflect on things I say/delivery of what I say.

A hero complex is basically people who go into this line of work with the idea that they're going to save everybody; they're going to come into peoples lives and make them all amazing and it's down to them, the worker who did that. The sort who could probably do with help themselves; I'm sure you've met plenty in your time. ;)

Like I said, I'm sure you don't do it in practice, maybe just wires crossing. :)

<snip>

I think you're getting negative feedback because of the context of this argument, which is patronising liberals telling poor people to spend their money more wisely without acknowledging that the vast majority of people in poverty are there because the minimum wage leaves a full-time worker below the poverty level and benefits way below that.

I realise you were reacting to some people implying that there was no such thing as a poor family with addiction problems, which is silly, but the context was the assumption that this advice was in any way relevant to the majority of people living in poverty, along with the subtext that anyone without much money should be made to feel guilty for spending any of it on a bit of escapism.

I realise you were reacting to some people implying that there was no such thing as a poor family with addiction problems, which is silly, but the context was the assumption that this advice was in any way relevant to the majority of people living in poverty, along with the subtext that anyone without much money should be made to feel guilty for spending any of it on a bit of escapism.

I hope you don't get paid for writing drivel like the above.

At then end of the day it was silly. All the "contexts", "assumptions" and "subtexts" in the world won't change that.

At then end of the day it was silly. All the "contexts", "assumptions" and "subtexts" in the world won't change that.

Doh. It would be silly to imply that poor people never had addiction problems. Nobody was actually doing that. Hence the crossed wires.

Learn to read before telling other people how to write.

Some people were (possibly) veering in that direction. Not before kenny g got going, IIRC, but I think that's how shygirl got dragged in.

You don't understand what a context is, you ignorant cock.

Drivel to you, good sense for those who can understand it, which is most people except you. :)

You don't understand what a context is, you ignorant cock.

Learn to read before telling other people how to write.

The patronising sneering is nicely summed up by the above. The only time some contributors write in English is when they are rude. Must be a second-rate student thing.

Anyway, the thread speaks for itself. It's a pity that a few people have, yet again, managed to personalise and disrupt what could have been an interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom