Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

gerry adams you can't just quit as an mp

The tribalism will always be there, it's been there for hundreds of years and it's ingratiated into your psyche from a small age. Segregation is also institutionalised through housing, schools, even bus stops lol.

I certainly don't expect to see the Catholic community in West Belfast voting DUP but one day I hope they will vote Conservative, Liberal Democrat or Labour.

Why, exactly, would they want to vote for British political parties? Unless they move to Britain of course.

There is not even any advantage to Unionists voting for british parties really, is there. Then they would be a tiny little cog in a huge british machine.

I've no idea- you tell me.........

I'm suggesting that the voting patterns clearly show the 'poll' figures to be nonsensical. I suppose it all depends on how you frame the questions - and which catholics you ask. I wouldn't imagine they called to to my houses in west Belfast or south armagh

The tribalism will always be there, it's been there for hundreds of years and it's ingratiated into your psyche from a small age. Segregation is also institutionalised through housing, schools, even bus stops lol.

Tribalism is present across the UK. It may well be a different type of tribalism with different signifers and alternative symbols but it's there. I think that despairing of tribal politics in NI and hoping that one day they can vote for 'normal' parties like us 'normal' folk in Britain implies that politics here aren't tribal in some way. Which is ignorant, naive or maybe just downright dumb

Not sure if you are from NI, N_igma? It's an easy thing for me to say, but that does appear quite a defeatist attitude. At the risk of sounding trite, it's a good job Martin Luther King didn't have that attitude.

There is not even any advantage to Unionists voting for british parties really, is there. Then they would be a tiny little cog in a huge british machine.

That is actually a very fair point, although the DUP are not exactly a major force at Westminster!

Not sure if you are from NI, N_igma? It's an easy thing for me to say, but that does appear quite a defeatist attitude. At the risk of sounding trite, it's a good job Martin Luther King didn't have that attitude.

Yes I am from the north of Ireland. The MLK analogy is stupid. MLK didn't end racism he ended institutionalised racism. It's the same here, legally there may be no discrimination but the underlying mistrust and fear of the other side is always going to be there.

That is actually a very fair point, although the DUP are not exactly a major force at Westminster!

They are however in a position to make demands if they were to find their votes desired by the big British parties. If they were mere Tory MPs, their whipped votes would be much less flexible. They know very well how useful it is to be outside the 'mainstream' as you call it.

Gerry Adams should tell the Speaker to go and fuck himself.

Or better yet, show up in the Parliament without having sworn the oath. Lets see what they do then.

Fucking bullshit archaic British imperialist procedures.
Antiquated manouvers by pompous tory dickheads and royal ass-lickers in the name of tradition. Fuck the lot of it.

Yes I am from the north of Ireland. The MLK analogy is stupid. .

Yes, I'm aware it was a bit of an oversimplification. I was considering editing it out, but you;d already replied to it.

Can I give just one more stat though? (sorry :oops:) It's this. According to that survey, 80% of people would rather live in a mixed religion neighbourhood. Quite a high number. That implies people do not want to continue with this segregation. http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Community_Relations/MXRLGNGH.html

OK, no more stats I promise.. :oops:

And surely there must be something in UK employment legislation - that if you want to leave a job you are free to do so.
You dont have to apply to be a Baron of Somethingshire or whatever ridiculous nonsense they're harping on about.

Gerry Adams should tell the Speaker to go and fuck himself.

Or better yet, show up in the Parliament without having sworn the oath. Lets see what they do then.

307507_e7570ba6.jpg

it'd be a one-way trip to the tower of london for mr adams.

Yes, I'm aware it was a bit of an oversimplification. I was considering editing it out, but you;d already replied to it.

Can I give just one more stat though? (sorry :oops:) It's this. According to that survey, 80% of people would rather live in a mixed religion neighbourhood. Quite a high number. That implies people do not want to continue with this segregation. http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Community_Relations/MXRLGNGH.html

OK, no more stats I promise.. :oops:

That survey was conducted on the Malone Road.

That survey was conducted on the Malone Road.

No. I'm not having that.

I'm a human geography bod and a political anorak. That doesn't make me qualified to comment on NI. It does mean I know a fair bit about statistics and opinion polling and how it's done. The people who do these things take accuracy and impartiality very seriously...

at least i know how to make a point without incorporating some dead christian liberal from the united states who got the influence he did through the hard work of people like malcolm x.

I didn't incorporate him if you read the thread. I was replying to the initial comment. I know full well the history of the civil rights movement in the United States thank you very much.

No. I'm not having that.

I'm a human geography bod and a political anorak. That doesn't make me qualified to comment on NI. It does mean I know a fair bit about statistics and opinion polling and how it's done. The people who do these things take accuracy and impartiality very seriously...

I'd say 80% of people would have no preference where as 2% would prefer to live in a mixed neighbourhood not the other way round. Come to any working class estate and you'll not find many people saying they want to live with the other side.

No. I'm not having that.

Which people? Because if you mean pollsters in general, they'll usually get the answers their client wants. Just because we know how to do something well, does not mean it always is done well. Generally, it depends where the money is.

And surely there must be something in UK employment legislation - that if you want to leave a job you are free to do so.
You dont have to apply to be a Baron of Somethingshire or whatever ridiculous nonsense they're harping on about.

As I previously posted it has been dealt with... Cameron lied...

Which people? Because if you mean pollsters in general, they'll usually get the answers their client wants. Just because we know how to do something well, does not mean it always is done well. Generally, it depends where the money is.

Wrong. A pollster will ask the questions their client wants, and their client can spin the answers any way they like. But reputable pollsters don't fiddle answers to suit their clients wishes. If a client gets answers they don't want to hear, tough.

It's pure business. If there was any kind of suggestion a pollster was being anything other than impartial, their reputation would shoot down the pan

Wrong. A pollster will ask the questions their client wants, and their client can spin the answers any way they like. But reputable pollsters don't fiddle answers to suit their clients wishes. If a client gets answers they don't want to hear, tough.

It's pure business. If there was any kind of suggestion a pollster was being anything other than impartial, their reputation would shoot down the pan

Sorry Ossie but you seem to be incredibly naieve. How old are you? Are you a College student? Because this post seems to have been answered by a high school text book rather than a person with real life experience. Sorry if that seems a little harsh.

Do you have some background on the poll and pollsters? Who? Where? The questions they actually asked?

here's a good pollster question.... Do you think Capital punishment should be brought back for paedophiles, or do you have a soft spot for the dirty, perverted, noncing bastards?

How many percent d'you think we could find in favour?

Most pollsters make the bulk of their money out of market research not polling on political and social issues. That's where the money is. And companies paying for market research are not usually looking to be told just what they want to hear. Not if it's going to be any use to them. That is why big polling companies are unlikely to jeopardize their reputation just to please an individual client.

Back
Top Bottom