Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

gerry adams you can't just quit as an mp

My mate seen Gerry Adams in Dundalk the other day and asked him what economic policies he had to bring Ireland out of this situation, apparentally he just laughed at him lol.

I wonder what it was your mate thought he'd say.

Well yes and no.

The people of West Belfast knew he was abstentionist when they chose to vote for him, and he got 75% of the vote so in that sense they *are* being represented.

Precisely. His parliamentary salary gets ploughed back in too - he doesn't keep it, AFAIK.

Precisely. His parliamentary salary gets ploughed back in too - he doesn't keep it, AFAIK.

Who do you are? Think yer bloody everyself. Think you know nuffin'. well you know fuckall.

Which is a long-winded way of agreeing with your post, whilst highlighting that your bringing rationality, considered judgement and (pesky) facts to the debate, will not be appreciated by some.:)

Cheers, Should have checked my increasingly dodgy memory before posting!

I was just wondering if a really strong independent candidate could take this. On the face of it, no chance, cos Adams got 71% of the vote. But turnout last time was very low, and some of that may have been a personal vote for Gerry.

Still very unlikely though, but wouldn't it be great to see NI finally move beyond sectarian politics?

I was just wondering if a really strong independent candidate could take this. On the face of it, no chance, cos Adams got 71% of the vote. But turnout last time was very low, and some of that may have been a personal vote for Gerry.

More chance of a tory winning it.

BTW do you know any british MPs who got 71% of the vote? and I'm assuming Gerry didn't get too many votes up the Shankill, so his local % was way higher than 71%.

His replacement is a local republican ex-prisoner. Continuity (pardon the pun) is assured.

BTW do you know any british MPs who got 71% of the vote?

In 2010? Four people got over 70%, three of them Labour.

Stephen Timms 70.4 in East Ham
George Howarth 70.9 in knowsley
(Gerry 71.0)
Steven Rotherham 72.0 in Liverpool Walton was the highest

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge10/wvote.htm

His replacement is a local republican ex-prisoner. Continuity (pardon the pun) is assured.

Of course the people of West Belfast can vote for whom they bloomin well like, but at some stage they need to move on and I'm not convinced this is the right way to do that.

As a matter of interest I wonder if the Tories will choose to contest this election- and if so under what banner?

That's assuming there is an election of course- and unless Gerry agrees to take Northstead there won't be- can't be.

a surprisingly low 67th in terms of proportion of the electorate voting for him, tho that's the low turnout mainly.

And there will be an election with him taking Northstead, or the other one. If it comes to it, he'll turn up in the chamber, and be thrown out and expelled, as happened to some bloke in 1927

A message from Gerry earlier ( I posted this on the other thread having not noticed this one :facepalm:)

Last week I sent a letter of resignation to the Speaker of the British Parliament. I had no other contact with the British system until today when David Cameron said I had accepted a paid post 'under the crown'. Not true. I simply resigned. I was not consulted nor was I asked to accept such an office. I am an Irish republican. and have had no truck with these antiquated aspects of the British system.
So Cameron is stirring the shit regarding Gerry accepting a 'crown position......

Downing Street apology for Gerry Adams

Downing Street has apologised to Gerry Adams after the prime minister said he had accepted a Crown title.
David Cameron told the House of Commons Mr Adams had accepted the title in order to resign his Westminster seat.
This was disputed by the Sinn Fein President who said he had not applied and had received an apology from the PM's office.
A treasury spokesman said that the Chancellor had appointed Mr Adams to the title.
:D
bbc

A message from Gerry earlier ( I posted this on the other thread having not noticed this one :facepalm:)

So Cameron is stirring the shit regarding Gerry accepting a 'crown position......

Looks like his letter of resignation has been interpreted as a request for Northstead and he has been given it without the need to formally accept. Anyway there you have it- one by election coming right up.

I'm certainly no expert on Northern Ireland (although I would like to learn more) . From what little I do know it is clear the people of West Belfast and other Catholic areas had some really strong grivences in the past, and I can quite understand the mentality of someone 20 or 30 years ago voting SF. But I think it would be good if a really strong independent came along, perhaps with SDLP support and cut SFs majority at least. It would give some sort of prospect of mainstream politics coming to Northern Ireland eventually.

At some stage in the next 20 or 30 years NI will have to move on, and 'politics as usual' will be an important part of that.

Looks like his letter of resignation has been interpreted as a request for Northstead and he has been given it without the need to formally accept. Anyway there you have it- one by election coming right up.

I'm certainly no expert on Northern Ireland (although I would like to learn more) . From what little I do know it is clear the people of West Belfast and other Catholic areas had some really strong grivences in the past, and I can quite understand the mentality of someone 20 or 30 years ago voting SF. But I think it would be good if a really strong independent came along, perhaps with SDLP support and cut SFs majority at least. It would give some sort of prospect of mainstream politics coming to Northern Ireland eventually.

At some stage in the next 20 or 30 years NI will have to move on, and 'politics as usual' will be an important part of that.

You seem to be under the impression that SF, SDLP etc etc aren't 'mainstream politics' in NI. They are.

You seem to be under the impression that SF, SDLP etc etc aren't 'mainstream politics' in NI. They are.

Well of course they are. But I find it depressing that voting still takes place along those lines, when the constitutional issue is effectively settled.

More Catholics now support the union than support a united Ireland http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html, yet almost all Catholics vote along nationalist lines http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/POLPART2.html

I certainly don't expect to see the Catholic community in West Belfast voting DUP but one day I hope they will vote Conservative, Liberal Democrat or Labour.

Fair play to you embree. That's an excellent post. I was gonna reply to Oswald but I wasn't sure if he was having a laugh. Then I was struggling to see how the 'knowledge gap' could be overcome with brevity - and without sarcasm. Your post did just that. Simply and politely.

Well of course they are. But I find it depressing that voting still takes place along those lines, when the constitutional issue is effectively settled.

More Catholics now support the union than support a united Ireland http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html, yet almost all Catholics vote along nationalist lines http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/POLPART2.html

I certainly don't expect to see the Catholic community in West Belfast voting DUP but one day I hope they will vote Conservative, Liberal Democrat or Labour.

l
Lies, damned lies & statistics, eh?

So all these Unionist Catholics are voting Sinn Féin?

I hope that one day they'll find better solutions than Tory, Lib Dem or Labour. I think they'd be entitled to look across the water at us and wonder what the fuck we're thinking of voting for parties as useless as them.

Back
Top Bottom