Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

gerry adams you can't just quit as an mp

likesfish

You can't park here sir
from news night you can't apparently quit as an mp
gerry Adams, it seems, has made Parliamentary history - British Parliamentary history. It appears that the Sinn Fein leader managed to resign as a Westminster MP last Friday without going through the traditional procedures.

I wrote here a few weeks ago that if Adams planned to stand down as a Westminster MP, in order to stand for the Irish Parliament, he would have to go through the usual rigmarole whereby a resigning MP applies for an office of profit under the Crown - the British Crown.

All rather embarrassing for the world's leading Irish Republican.

A resolution of the House of Commons from almost 400 years ago - March 1624 - says an MP cannot directly resign their seat except by death, disqualification or expulsion.

A House of Commons factsheet states: "A Member wishing to resign has to go through the process of applying for a paid office of the Crown... There are two such offices - Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds, and of the Manor of Northstead."

And it's the Chancellor of the Exchequer who grants them the job.

The Treasury this afternoon were quite cagey. They confirmed that no application had been received and stressed that the Chancellor's role is entirely ceremonial.

A Sinn Fein spokesman told Newsnight that Adams "wrote to the Speaker's office on Friday and informed him of his resignation. It's a non-issue from our perspective. He submitted his resignation and that's it. He's stepped down from that position. He certainly didn't apply for the Stewardship of the Manor of Northstead."

It seems Mr Adams has found some way of resigning from Parliament without going through these ancient procedures.

And the British Constitution has been changed for ever.

Update at 18:50:

I've just asked a senior Parliamentary official whether Gerry Adams is still an MP.

"At the last count, yes he is," he told me.

It's all governed by the Parliamentary bible Erskine May, it seems, and the following section:

"It is a settled principle of parliamentary law that a Member, after he is duly chosen, cannot relinquish his seat; and, in order to evade this restriction, a Member who wishes to retire accepts office under the Crown, which legally vacates his seat and obliges the House to order a new writ."

So in British law, Gerry Adams is still an MP, whether he wants to be or not. Until he applies for one of the two stewardships.

I was also advised that one way Adams might get round this without expressing allegiance to the British Crown in any form would be to turn up at the House of Commons and try to sit in the Chamber.

He would then be automatically disqualified from the House on the grounds that he hasn't sworn the oath, and a writ would then be moved for a by-election in West Belfast.

"The seat is vacated as if they were dead," I'm told.

And what a drama it would be if Adams were to do that, and be ejected from the Commons.

If Adams was elected to the Irish Parliament it would be no problem in British law for him to serve as an MP for the Irish and British Parliaments simultaneously. That was allowed by the Disqualifications Act passed in 2000.

Well let tradition dictate and lets just keep paying him for doing fuck all.

Gerry Adams doing fuck all is one of the reasons that 2011 is far better than 1981. Long may it continue.

I know he was elected to the office, but at any point was he actually an MP given that he never took the oath?

I heard it on the radio yet, and the RTE bod was more interested in using it as a stick to bash Mary Lou with. So you may be right that it's not declared yet.

if he applies to be an irish mp he could be in the shit as technically still a britsh mp which is illegal if you want to be an irish mp.
intrsting court case.

i did put from newsnight

I heard it on the radio yet, and the RTE bod was more interested in using it as a stick to bash Mary Lou with. So you may be right that it's not declared yet.
If she does.. and with him being parachuted into the area (that has ruffled feathers) and his paedo brother... it may not be so simple for him...

if he applies to be an irish mp he could be in the shit as technically still a britsh mp which is illegal if you want to be an irish mp.
intrsting court case.

If you read your own OP, you will see it is now allowed, under the Disqualifications Act

What they gonna do, sue him?

They won't do anything. But they can't hold a by-election unless he applies to be steward and baliff of Northstead. That's the law.

So he's still an MP, and will remain so. There will be no by election unless and until he is made steward and baliff

Which begs the question, can he be made steward and baliff without his consent?

Certainly is. Think it's quite funny actually. And they wonder why people feel disengaged from the whole political process when even something as basic as resigning involves some whole rigmarole.

Danny Morrison.. i think (hope) half heartedly suggested gorgeous George Galloway to stand in West B...
though I hear from reliable sources its gonna be a local ex-hunger striker...

Danny Morrison.. i think (hope) half heartedly suggested gorgeous George Galloway to stand in West B...
though I hear from reliable sources its gonna be a local ex-hunger striker...

Aye seen that. Mad man.

My mate seen Gerry Adams in Dundalk the other day and asked him what economic policies he had to bring Ireland out of this situation, apparentally he just laughed at him lol.

The big draw back is that the people in his constituency are not represented, mind the way people think about polticians does it mater lol

"A Member wishing to resign has to go through the process of applying for a paid office of the Crown... There are two such offices - Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds, and of the Manor of Northstead."

oh fucking hell I could imagine Gerry Adams applying to the Queen to become the Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds. In fact, it has a nice ring about it - Gerry Adams, Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds. Would he receive a yard of ale and a Christmas card from Her Majesty for remuneration for holding such as prestigious title?

Well let tradition dictate and lets just keep paying him for doing fuck all.

What a silly post. just cos he doesn't go to Westminster doesn't mean he does fuck all. Say what you like about the bearded one but he is a hard worker - always has been.

I don't think it is illegal any more to be a member of both parliaments?

In both British and Irish law? I don't think he'd be bothered about resigning his seat at all unless it barred him from standing in Eire. It's not like it'd make any difference to his constituents in the North.

What a silly post. just cos he doesn't go to Westminster doesn't mean he does fuck all. Say what you like about the bearded one but he is a hard worker - always has been.
Plus in fairness to the shinners all full-timers... MPs, MLAs, Councilors, party activists et al all get the same wage....
And the constituency work they provide is second to none...

Plus in fairness to the shinners all full-timers... MPs, MLAs, Councilors, party activists et al all get the same wage....
And the constituency work they provide is second to none...

Absolutely. But the audience you are addressing on here don't know or encounter their elected representatives around their estates or towns - and let's be honest would probably punch them in the face if they did!

Back
Top Bottom