Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Adl'A C-130H 100' above the Sahara in Mali. Full marks for the Sea Shepherd helmet.

Ewv_v0_WYAQup6d
My brain did not compute that image correctly the first time, and I thought I was looking at a C-130 in level flight that had just flowin into a swarm of locusts and made a mess of the windshield...

Forgive my ignorance, but why would they send those birds to shadow the Bears instead of fighter jets as they usually do?

Sorry, the fighters went up in the first post - Typhoons from UK, Belgian F-16's (responding to a Dutch request). The number of tankers and AWACS that went up, two AWACS and four tankers, made it more interesting (to me) than a normal QRA job.

There's a funny story that the old VC-10 tankers could keep up with the Bears, but the Tornados doing QRA had to stick an afterburner on every now and again to keep up...

The Super VC-10 variants (ie K3/K4) were fast... They could do M0.95.

That amazing performance was the reason for the complete commercial failure of the aircraft. Very few airlines wanted that performance or were prepared to pay to get it.

That amazing performance was the reason for the complete commercial failure of the aircraft. Very few airlines wanted that performance or were prepared to pay to get it.
Ironic that 20-odd years later Boeing spent some time and money on preliminary studies for just such a plane.

Nicer to ride in as well than those stinking tristars

The high cruising speed of the VC10 was largely a by-product of it’s initial design specification to have plenty of power in order to take off from the smaller runways of that era and especially the “hot and high” airports of the routes down through Africa to The Cape. This was outflanked by the offers of new low-cost airports that could take Boeing 707s and which could be named after the current presidents of the various countries.

I always thought the VC-10 was a beautiful looking aircraft. Sadly I never got to fly in one.
The VC-10 formerly of the Sultan of Oman is on permanent display at Brooklands. As well as the elegant exterior, you can walk in and admire the lavish flying palace cabin that was fitted for him. Even though it is very 1970s it still looks properly flush. Amazing how luxurious and spacious even a narrowbody can be made to feel with no budgetary constraints :D

The VC-10 formerly of the Sultan of Oman is on permanent display at Brooklands. As well as the elegant exterior, you can walk in and admire the lavish flying palace cabin that was fitted for him. Even though it is very 1970s it still looks properly flush. Amazing how luxurious and spacious even a narrowbody can be made to feel with no budgetary constraints :D

Brooklands is on my list for when the plague finishes.

My mate worked for BAC at Weybridge and he said it was amazing to see all the history. He started there on his Millwright apprenticeship in 1964 so was involved then and later as a craftsman around the VC-10. As a bonus when he finished his apprenticeship he was presented with his papers by Barnes Wallis. When the redundancy season started he went to work for Dowty Hydraulics near Cheltenham in what was called ‘The Big Leg Department’. He always says I should visit Brooklands if I got chance.

Yeah, Brooklands is ace. The Concorde experience is just a fiver extra and well worth doing. And aside from its massive aviation heritage, it has an equally significant car racing history and boasts an impressive collection of racing cars, as well as vintage buses, motorcycles and bicycles. Three museums in one, really.

I have a Virgin experience voucher (originally for something else which I got in Christmas 2019) which has been extended through to September 2021, I am planning to use it for Brookland with the Concorde tour. I've done the Bristol and Seattle Concorde's and would like to do the rest of them over the next decade or so.

Back
Top Bottom