Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

A "simple flaw" caused by a language difference led to a "serious incident" for a flight from Birmingham last year.
All female passengers whose title was "Miss" were classified as children - not adults - on the Tui flight after a software upgrade, a report said.
That meant that their average weight used for take-off calculations was lower than it should have been.
The difference could have had an impact on take-off thrust, but the report said flight operation was not compromised.
Take-off prep documents told the pilot that his Boeing 737 jet was 1,244kg lighter than it actually was after using 35kg as the average weight of the females involved rather than 69kg.

The Air Accidents Aviation Branch (AAIB) said that in this case, the difference in the calculation of take-off thrust was out by only 0.1% - so "the safe operation of the aircraft was not compromised"

69 kg? Average American female 77.4kg

Whose responsibility would have been to check & remove that tie? The jumper, the officer in charge of the jump, or the bloke who folds and prepares the chutes for the next jump?

Don't think it was a tie that was the problem T & P it was the rigging lines caught in a clip on the container iirc. There aren't any ties to remove from putting on the kit to jumping out of the plane.

The thing they attached is called a HUPRA. Every plane dropping military parachutists carries one. The delay between the hang-up and release of the jumper would have seen a flurry of panic while the aircrew ransacked the plane looking for it, probably eventually finding it covered in dust and oil under a pile of coats or something.

Last edited:
Don't think it was a tie that was the problem T & P it was the rigging lines caught in a clip on the container iirc. There aren't any ties to remove from putting on the kit to jumping out of the plane.

The thing they attached is called a HUPRA. Every plane dropping military parachutists carries one. The delay between the hang-up and release of the jumper would have seen a flurry of panic while the aircrew ransacked the plane looking for it, probably eventually finding it covered in dust and oil under a pile of coats or something.

I didn’t know about these. Ta.

Reactions: LDC
I didn’t know about these. Ta.

The drill is if you jump out and find yourself hung up you put your hands on your head to signal you're conscious (if somewhat dismayed at the way your day is going) and wait while they attach it and cut your original static line and you then fall under the HUPRA parachute. Hopefully.

There's a slightly worse one here...

What is it that they were attached to, that was also attached to the plane, and why was it attached to the plane?

There's two broad types of parachuting; static line and freefall (aka skydiving and a few other terms). The thing that divides them is how the parachute is deployed. In static line you don't have to pull anything, a line attached to the plane and then your 'chute does it. In freefall etc. you jump from much higher and then after a while pull the cord yourself. Basic military parachuting is static line from a quite low height (<800 feet) as the point is just to get you on the ground quickly.

The drill is if you jump out and find yourself hung up you put your hands on your head to signal you're conscious (if somewhat dismayed at the way your day is going) and wait while they attach it and cut your original static line and you then fall under the HUPRA parachute. Hopefully.

There's a slightly worse one here...

That would spoil your day...

teuchter has been so busy fighting cars today that he's apparently missed this piece of good news for the environment

I think it's a good thing, on the whole. But then I get the feeling (could be wrong though), that you would usually have a fair chance of scooping reasonably cheap rail fares in France. Domestic flights (other than flight transfers) should be completely avoidable in the UK also where the two city pairs are well linked by rail, but only if one does not have to remortgage the house to turn out at a train station at peak time without having previously bought a ticket.

teuchter has been so busy fighting cars today that he's apparently missed this piece of good news for the environment

I think it's a good thing, on the whole. But then I get the feeling (could be wrong though), that you would usually have a fair chance of scooping reasonably cheap rail fares in France. Domestic flights (other than flight transfers) should be completely avoidable in the UK also where the two city pairs are well linked by rail, but only if one does not have to remortgage the house to turn out at a train station at peak time without having previously bought a ticket.
I thought they'd already done that last year.

Looks like this is a watered down version of the originally proposed 4 hour limit though.

Good to hear you're in favour of aggressive road pricing in the UK, to shift some funding towards public transport instead of subsidising private motorists - and bring rail fares down a bit.

It’s all those great nuclear powered TGVs they have in France. 66% nuke as I type. French National Grid status

I quite like nukes and their propensity to bring excitement to the energy mix. I’m surprised teuchter is so keen though, obviously he must also support the French bombing Greenpeace anti nuclear testing ships as well, as that’s the only logically consistent position to take.

Back
Top Bottom