Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Sounds nice. And yeah, if this shit is still going on in December we'll have more to worry about than a fucked holiday! If the unthinkable were to happen your money would be a voucher to use against any other BA tickets for the following 12 months, so not a massive risk. Some of the prices around right now are insanely cheap, we're risking Virgin upper Class on a two centre (double the chance of fucking up) with USA and St Vincent & Grenadines. In July/August. I think your trip is more certain than ours.

Sounds nice. And yeah, if this shit is still going on in December we'll have more to worry about than a fucked holiday! If the unthinkable were to happen your money would be a voucher to use against any other BA tickets for the following 12 months, so not a massive risk. Some of the prices around right now are insanely cheap, we're risking Virgin upper Class on a two centre (double the chance of fucking up) with USA and St Vincent & Grenadines. In July/August. I think your trip is more certain than ours.

Yeah I'd be pretty nervous about anything international this summer depending on the type of holiday. A I think a resort thing in the Caribbean will be fine, my mate had one booked for right now but the tier 4 ban on travel scuppered that.

Just seems like there are opportunities too good to be missed at the moment. I am aware I will regret this comment in 6 months time.

Maximum STOL

What are the disadvantages of such planes that have not made them be far more common in the small prop plane market? I guess poor range and/or fuel consumption?

Because in places like the US, with so many non-commercial small plane users, a plane that you could operate out of any large garden/ nearby field by your house would obviously be so much more convenient than one dependant on airstrips or airports. And cheaper.

What are the disadvantages of such planes that have not made them be far more common in the small prop plane market? I guess poor range and/or fuel consumption?

Because in places like the US, with so many non-commercial small plane users, a plane that you could operate out of any large garden/ nearby field by your house would obviously be so much more convenient than one dependant on airstrips or airports. And cheaper.

Yeah, I guess that would be a couple of things also looks like it might even be a single seater though I'm not sure. They don't look like they'd be much fun in anything other than a slight breeze and you could probably walk faster. :D

Look forward to a more expert opinion than my plane spotter ramblings. (A380)

(IANAPilot.)

Basically. Those high lift surfaces will be very draggy so the whole aircraft is horridly inefficient at everything but STOL. And it probably goes down like an anvil in a stall. And it probably has zero cross wind limits. etc., etc.

Private airstrips in your garden are now very highly regulated and quite difficult to do unless you're in Florida where they don't give a fuck about anything. I looked at putting one in my paddock when I lived in the bush (my Cessna 172 has a ADSR/TODR of about 500m) but it was such a fanny on with approvals and permits I gave up.

As Dowwardog says , this is going to have huge amounts of drag because of the high lift aerofoil so will be really slow and or burn loads of fuel to go anywhere. These displays, in high winds probably, are the kind of extreme end of Alaska bush flying where a cub with oversized tyres can get into 50/60M gaps or gravel banks, which is useful there, but probably no where else with a GA aviation tradition or system. Cool to watch though.

Basically. Those high lift surfaces will be very draggy so the whole aircraft is horridly inefficient at everything but STOL. And it probably goes down like an anvil in a stall. And it probably has zero cross wind limits. etc., etc.

Private airstrips in your garden are now very highly regulated and quite difficult to do unless you're in Florida where they don't give a fuck about anything. I looked at putting one in my paddock when I lived in the bush (my Cessna 172 has a ADSR/TODR of about 500m) but it was such a fanny on with approvals and permits I gave up.

John Travolta's house, in Florida...

aaa.JPG

aaa1.JPG

Do parked-up planes ever accidentally take off from standing in very high winds? :hmm:
I'm sure I've seen passenger jets that have had their engines removed for replacement/ maintenance fit with massive weights where the engines had hung, presumably to prevent them from taking off in high winds.

I'm sure I've seen passenger jets that have had their engines removed for replacement/ maintenance fit with massive weights where the engines had hung, presumably to prevent them from taking off in high winds.
or maybe the wings need to be kept under stress? No idea - just speculation

That's for CoG reasons so you don't end up with a tail sitter.

I think it would be very unlikely you'd get a wind that was both strong enough (100knots +) and consistent enough to get an aircraft to take off.

Aircraft often have the engine intakes blanked off in high winds to stop the turbines windmilling and fucking the bearings when there's no oil pressure. The Harrier was particularly susceptible to this due to the intake design and size of the turbine. We once had a squadron exchange with a USMC AV-8B squadron and when they arrived they had custom intake covers emblazoned with their logo and nickname 'Ace of Spades'. Then the poor relations of the RAF trooped out and immobilised our turbines by sticking a selection of ratty brooms and mops down the intakes handle first. The shame...

tell us more about your exotic holidays mate, we've only had a 20% recession, leading to this happening;

I'm sure your tales of travel will distract from the hunger pains people are experiencing.

btw - you not get my apology via PM ?

84670144-88AF-41C6-A5FC-3C9BC9C03E8B.png
Do parked-up planes ever accidentally take off from standing in very high winds? :hmm:

Light aircraft can get blown over in high winds. I would say they wouldn’t take off but they can flip over. If not in a hanger you normally tie them down with ropes or cargo straps to an eyelet under each wing to either anchor points in he ground, fixed cables on the apron or heavy weights like concrete blocks or couple of old drums filled with water. You can also get things like enormous corkscrews for grass for temporary overnight use.

ED8E7AE7-E8D5-4A98-8628-74F31C255F52.jpeg

Just noticed using Flightradar24 three KLM flights within 15 minutes heading for Atlanta, Los Angeles and San Francisco. It makes me smile that our house on the flight paths is only thirty minutes flight time from Amsterdam and twenty three minutes from Manchester.

not really news, but today I found out that the Vickers Vulcan existed:

1434654827208.jpg

800px-Vickers_Vulcan_Type_61_G-EBET_side_view_%28tight_crop%29.jpg

You tube find. ‘Flying Down to Rio’ by Pathe. A five part- although each is only about 4 or 5 minutes long series about a 30s trip on the Graff Zeppelin from Germany to Brazil. 20 passengers, three days 2000 ft 80 miles an hour down the African Coast, across the Atlantic via the islands and down the South American coast. Amazing, probably cost the equivalent of a decent house but what a stunning journey it must have been.

The writer seems to be a big fan of baggage handlers and how they operate. So the baggage handlers know they should keep on doing what they always do.

The writer seems to be a big fan of baggage handlers and how they operate. So the baggage handlers know they should keep on doing what they always do.

Yes, its a clear statement that robbing the bag of anything valuable and smashing up the rest is all OK as far as that passenger is concerned.

Yes, its a clear statement that robbing the bag of anything valuable and smashing up the rest is all OK as far as that passenger is concerned.
I would say it's reasonable to assume it's positively what the passenger wants, and the bag contains a gift for the baggage handlers which they hope will impress them.

Back
Top Bottom