Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Not at all.

Just look at the bailouts Lufthansa & Air France have had this year, and the many airlines that are still state owned. Flying is a vital public service, really don't know where you get the idea that it should be privately funded from.

I didn't say it should be privately funded or the industry doesn't spend their entire life with the begging bowl out. I merely mentioned that the industry does like to pretend its self supporting. I can't imagine where I got this idea from?

That's one method. Most common right now is steam reformation of methane.
Whilst the hydrogen product is the same.

Blue Hydrogen- extracted from natural gas, so if you aren't capturing and storing the C02 not a huge point...
Green Hydrogen - made by electrolysis of water - so only really green if your are using surplus renewable electricity (or maybe nukes)

Massive over simplification.

I didn't say it should be privately funded or the industry doesn't spend their entire life with the begging bowl out. I merely mentioned that the industry does like to pretend its self supporting. I can't imagine where I got this idea from?

Plucked it out of your arse, would be my guess.

Last edited:
It had amazing performance but they couldn't put any stores on it for weapons training so it was very limited. It did comprehensively outperform the aircraft that replaced it (the Hawk). See also Sabre/Hunter.

A few years back I saw a preserved Gnat fly with the Red Arrows at an air show. Despite its age/limitations, it held-up very well with them for most of the display.

Also been watching Hawks today, as part of multinational exercise and probably to help-out with the landing fees, the “bad guys” have been stationed at the airport here all week, so there are planes going out and back all day.

It was the final BA 747 farewell this morning, with the last two remaining birds departing from LHR for the last time. They were meant to have taken off simultaneously from the two parallel runways, but British weather...

Sorry for linking to the Daily Heil, but credit where it's due, they have about the most comprehensive write up of the outlets I've seen online today- an excellent article in fact, worth a look.

I have found the motherlode of flying fire engines. :thumbs:

As Hush-Kit’s Ted Ward noted:

“Whilst looking for fire-bomber stuff I have come to the conclusion that the US’s approach to fire control was insane. Essentially they just left the madly dangerous world of aerial firefighting to a bunch of cowboys who flew any old thing and gave the contract to the lowest bidder with inevitably fatal results. Have you checked out the death rate of firefighting pilots in the US? Anyway it all went tits up when that Hercules crashed in 2002, followed within two months by a Privateer operated by the same outfit. Incidentally, the Privateer’s wings apparently failed downwards due to metal fatigue causing the main spar to fail when the water was dropped.This led to possibly the only folk song I’m aware of about a civil plane crash, (below).

Massive maintenance oversights meant fixed-wing firefighting was stopped for a while until proper standards were put in place and that’s when most of the WWII stuff got sidelined, which is sort-of-good because otherwise those wankers would have crashed them all, but sort of bad because it was kind of exciting. Nonetheless 38(!) aircrew were killed between 2003 and 2012 (which is after standards were tightened), or 5% of active crews. Anyway, the upside of that is historically they converted anything they could get their hands on and there were some pretty ‘unconventional’ choices. I maintain that the sexiest of all the air tankers was the Tigercat. Pretty dangerous though – three crashed in 1973 alone, for example. ”

It was the final BA 747 farewell this morning, with the last two remaining birds departing from LHR for the last time. They were meant to have taken off simultaneously from the two parallel runways, but British weather...

Sorry for linking to the Daily Heil, but credit where it's due, they have about the most comprehensive write up of the outlets I've seen online today- an excellent article in fact, worth a look.

When would the 747s have been retired, had it not been for Covid?

When would the 747s have been retired, had it not been for Covid?
Yes, though Covid apparently brought the retirement forward of the last handful of them by a few months. 747s are very inefficient by today’s standards.

Yes, though Covid apparently brought the retirement forward of the last handful of them by a few months. 747s are very inefficient by today’s standards.
Twin engines for the self loading freight, but 747 freighter models will be around for a bit yet.

Thank fuck for that. Tegel and Schonefeld were truly fucking horrendous airports to find yourself in. Good to see the infamously late Brandenburg Airport open for business at last :D

I can’t remember which one of the two airports it was, but the terminal from which EasyJet flights departed back to London on our last trip to Berlin was a crime against Humanity.

Thank fuck for that. Tegel and Schonefeld were truly fucking horrendous airports to find yourself in. Good to see the infamously late Brandenburg Airport open for business at last :D

Tegel was one of my favourite airports - not least because of its proximity to central Berlin but also because it’s layout was so quick and easy to get in and out of. Although the waiting areas at the gates could be a bit hellish on a busy flight, esp if delayed but they were brilliant in the days before the wall came down and I understand connecting/transiting through the later cheap shed of a second terminal (which did not abide by the original masterplan) was a less than pleasant experience.

Plus it also has this:

Lilienthal-Skulptur_Flughafen_Tegel.jpg

The monument to Otto Lilienthal, crashing - sat right between the coffee and currywurst stall and the BVG bus stance. :D

And I take it you are aware that Berlin Brandenburg and Tegel were both designed by the same architect - but Tegel worked, at least within the parameters of the era it was designed for.

Last edited:

I didn’t know this was how it was done.

It's not - the bloke you see is the Coy Cdr, he's talking to the JTAC/FST (who is probably within a few hundred yards of the Coy Cdr) and the JTAC/FST will then talk to the aircraft using the standard format for bringing in CAS.

(JTAC/FST nerd).

And the new airport is really just a heavily revamped Schonefeld airport...

It wasn’t even the first choice — which was this place:

But some fairly murky politics and pressure from vested interests with an eye on opening up significant development/redevelopment sites around Schonefeld swung the decision away from it.

Last edited:
It's not - the bloke you see is the Coy Cdr, he's talking to the JTAC/FST (who is probably within a few hundred yards of the Coy Cdr) and the JTAC/FST will then talk to the aircraft using the standard format for bringing in CAS.

(JTAC/FST nerd).
Crush my dreams why don't you,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom