Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, not seen much mention of this, but it seems relatively hopeful, several thousand seems like a good turnout given the hostile political climate:

A pro-peace rally in central Tel Aviv on Saturday drew several thousand participants, calling for Jewish-Arab partnership and urging Israel to work toward resolving its decades-long conflict with the Palestinians, which flared up over the past two weeks with deadly fighting in the Gaza Strip.

Author David Grossman told the crowd at Habima Square: "We, Israelis, still refuse to realize the time is over in which our power can force a reality that's convenient for us and only for us, for our needs and interests."

Ayman Odeh, leader of the three-way Arab-majority Joint List, said in his speech that "War is only good for the warlords… for Benjamin Netanyahu, but it's bad for both peoples. There are civilians in Gaza and there are civilians in Israel, and we have to keep them out of the circle of terror."
Odeh called for "a joint future for us all," a sentiment seconded by another politician who spoke at the rally, Meretz's Tamar Zandberg.

Zandberg said at the rally: “It’s no coincidence that the violence broke out just when we began to feel that maybe Jews and Arabs can cooperate in politics too. Some people wanted to sabotage this vision, they wanted to continue sowing hatred and incitement and violence. But this evening and here, we are telling them – enough, no. Now too we can and must establish a different government in Israel that will not encourage hatred, will not incite, will not separate Jews and Arabs."

Members of the groups Standing Together and Breaking the Silence, which organized the rally, also spoke. Sally Abed, of Standing Together, said: “As a Palestinian citizen of Israel I refuse to go back to the routine of institutionalized discrimination, of police violence and political arrests, of limited citizenship. I refuse to go back to the routine in which on a train I’m afraid to answer a phone call from my mother in Arabic. Arabic is my language and it is one of the languages in this place, and I’m not willing to go back to a routine in which people are afraid to speak it.”

Ariel Bernstein, of Breaking the Silence, who served as a combat soldier in the reconnaissance unit of the Nahal Brigade, said: "For the past seven years since we lay in the sand dunes outside of Beit Hanun, and our leaders did nothing to move ahead a diplomatic solution. Seven years in which we’ve been offered nothing but despair, while we’ve been sold the illusion of normalcy. They demand that we bury our head in the sand and think that the current situation is fine and normal. But there is nothing normal about a military dictatorship, a suffocating blockade and apartheid in the territories."

Last Saturday night, a similar rally was held in Habima Square, which was part of the wave of demonstrations calling for coexistence and reconciliation held during the Gaza operation. Throughout the operation, rallies against violence and hatred were held in city squares, junctions and bridges all over the country.

Hundreds of people also gathered in protest against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu near the prime minister’s official residence in Jerusalem.
Dunno what any of the banners or placards say, but just the sight of bilingual banners feels like quite a powerful sight in the current context.

Didnt you know how the Palestinians were allied with the Nazis during World War II? Or how the western far right has supported the Palestinian cause for decades?
That strikes me as quite the generalisation. Not everyone in the 'Arab world' supported the Axis powers. Infact it was only a minority of Muslim Fundamentalists.

Sure, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Amin Al-Husseini, was a collaborator, but that doesn't mean that the majority of Palestinians were collaborators. And collaboration didn't mean that the Nazis didn't see Arabs and North Africans as 'inferior', with Hitler stating that he "wanted nothing from the Arabs".

Why is Tommy Robinson far right?
Yaxley-Lennon being a far-right racist really shouldn't have to be explained.

His whole career has been based on anti-muslim bigotry with him lumping all muslims together as bigots and proponents of terrorism. He has, for example, been caught stating that "All muslims want to kill and to maim you. That's what they want" and he has made other similar utterances, also stating that "all muslims are combatants".

But his bigotry is obvious.

And whether you like it or not, theres no other way of describing his politics than far-right and even fascist. He is an ex-member of the BNP and has aligned himself with far-right political figures, parties and movements. His whole agenda has always been far-right, one of stirring up division and hate and inciting violence.

Darren Osbourne, the Finsbury Park Mosque terrorist, regularly read material by Tommy Robinson (aswell as Britian First) and is said to have had Tommy Robinson tweets taped to the dashboard of his van when carrying out his murderous terrorism.

Last edited:
Read this yesterday. Nimer Sultany, a Palestinian who grew up in Israel, points out that the state State of Israel discriminates against its citizens of Palestinian background. Peaceful Co existence was always a myth for a Palestinian Israeli.

Palestinians get treated same way as Black people in US. Disprortionate number are in prison system, communities are deprived leading to increase in criminal activity. This is not an accident. Its part and parcel of how the Israeli state functions.

In this article he looks at how Israeli security and police are clamping down on protest inside Israel. Puts forward suggestion that part of reason for seeking a ceasefire by Israeli government was that violence inside Israel was in danger of becoming unmanageable.

Worth reading for a Palestinian Israeli view of how the Israeli State functions. Discrimination towards Palestinians is built into it.

Another Palestinian Israeli on how the State of Israel from its very inception to present day is racist.

She recounts what her father had to deal with and how she tries to shield her son from this racism.

She thinks its got worse over recent years. With overt racism against Palestinian Israelis being normalised.

A deal that would see the end of the Netanyahu government sounds close:

I don't think a change in government will make much difference to Palestinians.

If deal goes through next PM for two years will be to the right of Netanyahu on Palestinian issues.

Reminds me of comment by the Israeli historian Pappe. Israel functions as a "normal" democracy. Arguments about corruption, economics etc. The elephant in the room is Palestinians.

Netanyahu has been fixture in Israeli politics for years. Perhaps mainstream Israeli public want a change. Doesn't change much for Palestinians.

I don't think a change in government will make much difference to Palestinians.

Netanyahu has been fixture in Israeli politics for years. Perhaps mainstream Israeli public want a change. Doesn't change much for Palestinians.

Yeah I wouldnt want to claim otherwise. I resist predictions over the longer term because one change can always unlock others down the road, but the situation with Palestinians has not moved in a happy direction in my lifetime so hope is hard to come by. And reporting has narrowed and been pushed to the background so much this century.

Reasonable treatment of Palestinians wasn’t an election issue for anyone involved. The ‘centre left’ (which is a generous description) party just sees it as a vote losing issue so say nothing, and the far right one, led by someone whose name I can only ever read as Natalie Bennett, thinks Israel should claim all of the Palestinian lands. Things aren’t getting better any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom