Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel announced it will be launching operation “Guardian of the Walls” against the Gaza Strip. While it is unclear how long the operation will last for, it will likely kill hundreds of innocent Gazan civilians and injure thousands in the coming days. However, what is clear is that Netanyahu will attempt to leverage the Israeli public’s fear in order to assert himself as the leader the country needs in this time of “crisis” and that he is the only candidate strong enough to face such a “threat.”

Things are spiralling and problem is with the rockets now, are a lot more advanced than in previous years, there's already been a few deaths on the Israeli side and they're hitting places like Tel Aviv where my mate is,(and which iirc has never happened before) people are already pretty terrified. Add to that a leader who was extremely unpopular before this and facing a probable prison term and so is desperate to hold onto power and is beyond giving a fuck, and doesn't have full control of (and doesn't care) what his more fanatical nationalist allies are up to anyway. There's a lot more opposition in Israel than there has been so I don't know if this will work in his bid to stay the leader, but the worry is that someone even worse in Likud or one of the far right parties might end up struggling for power if he goes. The police in Jerusalem are pretty much doing what they want at the moment anyway :(

Last edited:
Some people I know from the Jewish community ( dont want to say what synagogue) are having a protest against Netanyahu's policies and the occupation tonight and I think more demos are planned next week. The head of the UK's third (I think) biggest Jewish denomination has condemned what they are doing. It feels very different to when Israel last did something like this

although I'm not sure how much more public support helps the Palestinians given Netanyahu is quite happy to pal around with Orban, Putin, Saudi Arabia and various evangelical end times nutters
Twitter thread of today's Na'amod stuff here:

Yeah I have heard about a few commemorations of it and in some cases (not an excuse) I think some people outside Israel think, or want to believe, they are celebrating jerusalem or it is another version of israeli Independence day or something and don't know what it is actually a much more violent version of 'the glorious twelfth'. If sacks went there he probably knew what he was doing tho.

One of the things that was said in that podcast was that by and large the speaker thought it was settlers coming from the west bank outside Jerusalem to start violence rather than locals. Might not be entirely true of course

Biden is saying that Israel has the right to defend itself but the Palestinian people also have the right to safety and security. Which is crap but Obama never said the latter part iirc. The Americans might put a stop to this before it goes full protective edge.

Biden will organize a "mercy dash" airlift if stocks run low, dinnae fret.

The US doesn't have stocks of Tamir missiles because it doesn't use them. Iron Dome has some US components, but not any that you could throw in on a plane and launch into the sky. the US could deploy its own systems, but they aren't ones the Israelis use, so would need either US military, or contractor operators, which would be something of a risk.

When Israel does run out of Tamir missiles, I think we can safely say that what it won't do is cower under its desks, saying 'oh god we're sorry, please make it stop..'. it will instead go fully offensive, making its current efforts look like small, weak beers.

If you value Palestinian lives, pray that Iron Dome doesn't run out of missiles. Of course, if your only interest is in dead Israelis, with Palestinians being a convenient, and entirely disposable method to achieve that, then pray they run out...

e-mail from MAP

“I find it difficult to find the words to describe what the two million people in Gaza have witnessed over the last few days. Last night was one of the most terrible nights and brings back devastating memories of Israel’s deadly offensive on Gaza in 2014.” – Fikr Shalltoot – Director of Programmes, Gaza.
I wanted to update you on the developing situation in Gaza and East Jerusalem. At the time of writing, there are over 1,000 casualties in East Jerusalem. With further bombardment in Gaza happening throughout the past week – we have seen the deaths of at least 50 people, including 14 children, with multiple residential tower blocks destroyed. All of this has put additional strain on a healthcare system already on the verge of collapse as it struggles to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. I have attached links to MAP’s latest articles describing the situation below.

We are working rapidly to provide immediate aid to hospitals in Gaza and East Jerusalem to respond to this growing emergency. Some of the items we will be procuring can be found below. Across our areas of work, we expect these items to cost around $200,000. Please note that this is a small overview of the items that are required. If you would like a complete outline, then please do not hesitate to ask.

Plus a list of what they don't have. :(

The post I deleted above was from a disturbing video I saw on Reddit of Israelis dancing joyously with a fire in the Al-Aqsa compound in the background. This article gives the background, although they're hardly an impartial source themselves so I'm not altogether sure what was going on.

Of course, if your only interest is in dead Israelis, with Palestinians being a convenient, and entirely disposable method to achieve that, then pray they run out...

Yes mate, I think of little else, and my every waking moment is devoted to the tallying of Israeli casualties. I've got a spreadsheet and everything.

Hamas seems to have upped the ante with its own missiles, which are not the Heath Robinson-ish held together with sticky backed plastic jobs of yore. Which raises the question, how did they get hold of them?

Which raises the question, how did they get hold of them?
Hamas have been claiming since last year that in can produce its own M75 missiles (sometimes by cannibalising unexploded Israeli missiles), or from Iran via discreet sea drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom