Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little uncomfortable with the dead children being described as "martyrs" on Twitter and the like. This reinforces the view that this on an ongoing war in which they are willing participants, rather than slaughtered innocents

"slaughtered innocents" are most definitely martyrs according to Islam. What on earth made you think otherwise?

I'm a little uncomfortable with the dead children being described as "martyrs" on Twitter and the like. This reinforces the view that this on an ongoing war in which they are willing participants, rather than slaughtered innocents
they're being killed for what they are. this makes them by definition martyrs. at least the early xian martyrs often had the opportunity of recanting their beliefs - these children didn't stand a chance.

He's not muslim and in christian tradition martyr means to make a choice in defence of the church. How on earth did you not know that?

How dare you assume that what muslims hold to be true should be known by all.
martyrs are people who are killed for their beliefs. in this case they're being killed because of the beliefs they'd have held if they'd grown up. which in my view makes them martyrs nonetheless, even if i don't believe they're guaranteed 72 virgins etc.

martyrs are people who are killed for their beliefs. in this case they're being killed because of the beliefs they'd have held if they'd grown up. which in my view makes them martyrs nonetheless, even if i don't believe they're guaranteed 72 virgins etc.

Were they really killed for their beliefs? Or for the land they lay a claim too?

Christian martyrs are those who had an opp to abjure their beliefs and didn't. Not just people who were killed for holding a belief.

The key pointy is here though is the arrogance of QQQ in assuming that what s/he understands as islamic marytership must be know by all and not to is some sort of failing.

The U.S. govt are absolutely complicit in this war on Palestinian civilians...
yes indeed, i am personally aghast at the new lows reached by this mockery of a just society my country is. not that i am a sole proprietor of sound minded judgment on matters, but, how it is that there is barely any turn out of protesters to stand in solidarity with the cruelly entreated peoples of Gaza, except for people primarily immigrated from the middle east, mortifies me. i copped a listening on one of the pooblicke radio programs today, which leading on from one point of discussion to another, i managed to catch a reference to a gallup poll without giving myself whiplash, which readers might find interesting:

(gathered from http://www.gallup.com/poll/174110/americans-reaction-middle-east-situation-similar-past.aspx)

bfqtv1eidusbmbrxcsrjea.png

nevermind the point that it would be equally abhorrent if the palestinians were the one's with the jacked-up military advantage vaunting themselves over israel: these lackies have an agenda that has no interest in a coexistence with anything less than subjugated masses.

and how there's not been much by the way of repercussions from other nations that don't sear their consciences with a hot iron by bowing the knee to enemies stronger than themselves, i think, is just a temporary blip.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/174110/americans-reaction-middle-east-situation-similar-past.aspx

no link but posters on Guardian CIF are quoting an Indie article that states UK have been selling weapons to Israel that have quite likely been used in these assaults, searched indie, can't find anything, non story or just business as usual?

they're being killed for what they are. this makes them by definition martyrs. at least the early xian martyrs often had the opportunity of recanting their beliefs - these children didn't stand a chance.

The children of Gaza killed by the Israeli state are, like the 'civilian' adults, victims of genocide and don't need or deserve any supernatural epithet.

yes indeed, i am personally aghast at the new lows reached by this mockery of a just society my country is. not that i am a sole proprietor of sound minded judgment on matters, but, how it is that there is barely any turn out of protesters to stand in solidarity with the cruelly entreated peoples of Gaza, except for people primarily immigrated from the middle east, mortifies me. i copped a listening on one of the pooblicke radio programs today, which leading on from one point of discussion to another, i managed to catch a reference to a gallup poll without giving myself whiplash, which readers might find interesting:

(gathered from http://www.gallup.com/poll/174110/americans-reaction-middle-east-situation-similar-past.aspx)

bfqtv1eidusbmbrxcsrjea.png

nevermind the point that it would be equally abhorrent if the palestinians were the one's with the jacked-up military advantage vaunting themselves over israel: these lackies have an agenda that has no interest in a coexistence with anything less than subjugated masses.

and how there's not been much by the way of repercussions from other nations that don't sear their consciences with a hot iron by bowing the knee to enemies stronger than themselves, i think, is just a temporary blip.

Unsurprising but still interesting that the more educated a person is the more they agree with the state line.

ffs :rolleyes:

the manchester martyrs
the metric martyr
the tolpuddle martyrs
the haymarket martyrs

it's not a fucking supernatural epithet.

If someone is regarded as a Martyr "according to Islam" or is described as a Muslim/Christian martyr then, in that context, the word is being using as a supernatural epithet.

Anyhows, the 'non-supernatural' uses all imply death/penalty imposed upon the basis of beliefs held. It is clearly arrant nonsense to ascribe beliefs to infants; there is no such thing as a Muslim infant.

It makes me think of Chomsky and that whole natural filtering system that's in place.
i suppose a lot of the people who have postgraduate education will have studied sciences or law or economics or business etc which aren't subjects which really encourage a great deal of critical analysis of society. people who have studied eg history or philosophy or literature might have a different stance on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom