Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it was hans joachim klein who kept a picture of an emaciated, dead holger meins in his wallet to keep his hatred strong. i wouldn't be surprised if pictures like those in yr link were being kept for the same purpose in parts of the middle east.
I'm a little uncomfortable with the dead children being described as "martyrs" on Twitter and the like. This reinforces the view that this on an ongoing war in which they are willing participants, rather than slaughtered innocents

And when the Palestinians are blamed and castigated for supporting militant organisations like HAMAS, this is conveniently forgotten. Can we really expect a population whose last three generations' experience has been of dispossession and being on the receiving end of often arbitrary and always extreme violence to have any faith in or desire for a peaceful approach to resolving the issue?

I struggle to imagine what kind of hope, if any at all those people can salvage from this current situation

http://t.co/e37vWvVOTA

Jerusalem post editorial calls for 'dismantling' gaza and expelling the Palestinians
That piece represents a split between the the state/capital and the reaction they have whipped up. We all know that that the fomers rhetoric was supposed to shift the ground to the right significantly. I'm not sure that we or they expected it to spiral beyond their control in this way.

... and yet their spokespeople - and at least one Tory MP - would have us all believe that this is just like us bombing the Germans. I am sure the 27% of Bomber Command airmen that didnt die, get wounded, or get shot down and captured or have to escape from Occupied Europe, and who were ignored for years afterwards, can see the clear similarities between that war and this.

The other signal difference being the heavy concentrations of anti-aircraft guns ringing German cities, and the barrage balloons, neither of which are present in Gaza.

That piece represents a split between the the state/capital and the reaction they have whipped up. We all know that that the fomers rhetoric was supposed to shift the ground to the right significantly. I'm not sue that we or they expected it to spiral beyond their control in this way.

Do you think its really beyond their control? Presumably most of the massacres etc are ordered from above? Or is the atmosphere that bad they don't need to, as someone else on here implied?

Do you think its really beyond their control? Presumably most of the massacres etc are ordered from above? Or is the atmosphere that bad they don't need to, as someone else on here implied?
They're in control of what their state does. They are now not in control of public opinion. They thought that they were.

The only durable solution requires dismantling Gaza, humanitarian relocation of the non-belligerent Arab population, and extension of Israeli sovereignty over the region.

Where do they want to relocate 1.8 million Palestinians to? Madagascar certainly couldn't cope.

The underlying reason for the inadequate responses to clearly apparent dangers is that Israel’s leaders have been cowered into this moralistic masochism by an aggressive and intolerant triad of left-wing civil society elites (in the legal establishment, the mainstream media and academe), who, through their unelected position of privilege and power, have taken control of the political discourse in the country.

:eek:

They're in control of what their state does. They are now not in control of public opinion. They thought that they were.

Not sure that article represents that, to be honest - its arguing what Lieberman, Bennett and a lot of the rest of them have been arguing (or at least heavily implying), and supporting what the state under Bibi has been quietly working towards.

The sign that they have lost control of public opinion will be when someone prominent feels safe enough to ask why it is really necessary to go that far into Gaza, to take quite heavy (for previous operations of this kind) IDF casualties, and why it is they expanded the war so massively when last week they were quite ready to stop the war on a "Hamas are back in their box" basis.

The underlying reason for the inadequate responses to clearly apparent dangers is that Israel’s leaders have been cowered into this moralistic masochism by an aggressive and intolerant triad of left-wing civil society elites (in the legal establishment, the mainstream media and academe), who, through their unelected position of privilege and power, have taken control of the political discourse in the country.

:eek:

The same cabal that corrupted scientists into supporting global warming!

The only durable solution requires dismantling Gaza, humanitarian relocation of the non-belligerent Arab population,
and extension of Israeli sovereignty over the region.

Now who would have guessed?

Wouldn't be surprised if the zionists didn't suggest a chunk of Kenya (British East Africa).
BY quoting Churchill at the start he would have been aware of that (rejected) suggestion
BTW That Churchill quote was when Britain well pretty much the last non occupied country in Europe facing the Nazis alone
Twat that wrote this is a bit of a hysterical drama queen arse seepage of a thing

BY quoting Churchill at the start he would have been aware of that (rejected) suggestion
BTW That Churchill quote was when Britain well pretty much the last non occupied country in Europe facing the Nazis alone
Twat that wrote this is a bit of a hysterical drama queen arse seepage of a thing
Yeah, but the BEA 'solution' was Chamberlain's turn of the century idea.

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/Candidly-Speaking-Obama-is-abandoning-Israel-369100

Look at this one!

Demented.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s leadership has been exemplary. Despite extraordinary pressure from all sides of the political spectrum, he succeeded in charting a responsible policy. The initial restraint, his acceptance of the Egyptian terms of cease-fire and his avoidance of demagoguery, united the nation and even scored points among open-minded circles in the international community.

:facepalm:

I'm a little uncomfortable with the dead children being described as "martyrs" on Twitter and the like. This reinforces the view that this on an ongoing war in which they are willing participants, rather than slaughtered innocents
I wouldn't be surprised if they were seen as martyrs - and it may be that the Islamic concept of "martyrdom" differs from ours, even?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom