Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

G20: Getting to the truth- the death of Ian Tomlinson RIP

I'm looking at these terror attacks, reading stuff on here that is not widely known elsewhere and wondering whether the media is going to pull all this together and not leave information out of the equation....

I'll set one up if others thinking its a worthwhile idea want to help with info gathering etc..

sounds good to me.. dont give it a wanky name I hope.. something simple.. 'Justice for Ian' or something?

maybe peeps who want to get involved leave a quick message n we take it to PMs so as not to derail this great thread?
im wondering also if we should start a thread in the community forum to get the basic organising done, who's willing to give a hand etc? ( any mods about?)

I have set up a blog using blogger. I have removed it from listings in order to make sure it is not visited before information is known to be as accurate as it can be before being made fully public.

Now, without being overly paranoid - anyone suggest how we go about letting people edit this in a group format without letting certain 'unwanted' types in?

sounds good to me.. dont give it a wanky name I hope.. something simple.. 'Justice for Ian' or something?
I think it should avoid focusing on Ian, whilst acknowledging that his death was the catalyst. It's not about one "bad apple".

cheers ^^

I have created another thread to avoid clogging this one up.

Im happy to give the blog details to other people, preferably ones that i and/or others know are trustworthy.

I'm not going to be about all night and ive no intention of doing the bulk of work on my own, if it fails, we fail as a group!

I think it should avoid focusing on Ian, whilst acknowledging that his death was the catalyst. It's not about one "bad apple".

agreed..
I'm presuming you is gonna be part of the 'blog' so hows about peeps interested PM Barking Mad (if thats ok?) n get a crew together..

It would be very useful if we can gather a referral point thru the 'blog' for info etc..

I have set up a blog using blogger. I have removed it from listings in order to make sure it is not visited before information is known to be as accurate as it can be before being made fully public.

Now, without being overly paranoid - anyone suggest how we go about letting people edit this in a group format without letting certain 'unwanted' types in?

nice one, was about to offer to help, but just realised I'm away now til monday, then away again from wednesday... so may not actually be that much help.:hmm:

G20 death: Police gave Ian Tomlinson a 'good beating', says his father
The father of Ian Tomlinson, the man who died during the G20 protests in London, has accused the police of giving his soon "a good beating" and demanded an explanation for their actions.
"I need to know why the police felt the need to set upon Ian like this," he said. "He was never a troublemaker. That's why I wonder why the police felt they needed to be so forceful. All I can do now is grieve and hope that I get some answers."

Telegraph

The dead man's stepson, Paul King, 26, a security guard, said:
"As the footage shows, it's clear Ian was not a threat, there was no need for such a violent attack on him, especially as he had his back to them.

"He was just walking home to watch the football. He was just minding his own business. We want this officer identified and punished the way any normal person would be. We just want justice for Ian.

"That's not correct policing. There was no need for that. You see how violently he was pushed to the floor. It's not right."

He added: "He has never had any heart trouble is the past, there's no way he just collapsed and that's obvious now from the footage. We plan to take things further."

Telegraph

I hope that his large family get truth and justice from this. I also hope that they get the representation that they deserve, i read that the legal team from the JCDM case are on board, hopefully their skills and relevant experience will be of use.

Oh my:

Pathologist in Ian Tomlinson G20 death case was reprimanded over conduct

The initial post mortem examination of the man who died at the G20 protests after being attacked by a police officer, which found he had died of a heart attack, was conducted by a forensic pathologist once reprimanded about his professional conduct by the General Medical Council.

... In a separate case in January 2002, Dr Patel found that Sally White, 38, died of a natural causes resulting from heart disease. Her body was found locked in a bedroom in the Camden flat of Anthony Hardy, a 52-year-old psychiatrically-disturbed alcoholic.

White's death was treated as suspicious until Dr Patel detailed the cause of her death as a heart attack. Hardy went on to kill two women, Elizabeth Valad, 29, and Brigette MacClennan, 34, and place their body parts in bin bags.

... An IPCC spokesperson said: "Again, we are not willing to give a running commentary of an ongoing criminal investigation as we wish to maintain the integrity of the investigation."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/11/g20-pathologist-ian-tomlinson

Oh my:

The initial post mortem examination of the man who died at the G20 protests after being attacked by a police officer, which found he had died of a heart attack, was conducted by a forensic pathologist once reprimanded about his professional conduct by the General Medical Council.

... In a separate case in January 2002, Dr Patel found that Sally White, 38, died of a natural causes resulting from heart disease. Her body was found locked in a bedroom in the Camden flat of Anthony Hardy, a 52-year-old psychiatrically-disturbed alcoholic.

White's death was treated as suspicious until Dr Patel detailed the cause of her death as a heart attack. Hardy went on to kill two women, Elizabeth Valad, 29, and Brigette MacClennan, 34, and place their body parts in bin bags.

... An IPCC spokesperson said: "Again, we are not willing to give a running commentary of an ongoing criminal investigation as we wish to maintain the integrity of the investigation."

As i have been told throughout this last 9 days, i should wait. However most of my deepest concerns appear to become reality.

What about the official footage

I was not at this demo but have been at many before including the RTS ones of a few years ago; there has always been Police brutality; just that no-one has died until now. However, in recent years the OB have had teams of trained cameramen and photographers recording everything, especially to identify "troublemakers" and "gather evidence". I wonder whether the IPC will scrutinise this footage (which I'm sure would be very revealing) as well as any cctv footage there may be before it is erased or kept back; fat chance of that happening I bet.

I fear another whitewash coming on here.

Don't see that that video clip was pointing too...
2pt7152.jpg

Originally Posted by Times (via Laptop) said:
Metropolitan police chiefs ordered to justify tactics at G20 protests

Senior Scotland Yard officers who led Operation Glencoe, designed to prevent disorder in the capital during the summit, have been summoned to explain their tactics to members of the force’s watchdog body, The Times has learnt.
Mr Broadhurst, who gave stark warnings of violence ahead of the protests, will face questions about whether the language he and fellow commanders used increased the possibility of confrontation with demonstrators.

The meeting will take place on April 23 amid mounting public concern and complaints about an aggressive police approach to the demonstrations.

The officers will also have to appear at a public session of the authority the following week.

Ok. I think we need to be clear here. The 'warnings of violence' were Mr. Broadhurst predicting the METs violent confrontational attitude, not that of the demonstrators.

The actual bodily harm (violence) towards the demonstrators from the Police, using asps, round-shields and which drew blood in some instances, escalated the probability of retaliation from the demonstrators, but the overwhelming majority bore the violence that the Police meted out and the biggest mass-retaliative action from the demonstrators was verbal - chastising the Police for their violence and chanting 'Shame on You'.

No wonder that violent copper collapsed. Shame on him. And the others too, who pushed, shoved and drew blood that day. Could it be possible that he had behaved violently/hit so many protestors that day that they all began to look the same to him?

Barry Smith, 55, an Evening Standard vendor who had known Mr Tomlinson for 26 years, said he helped out on the stall every day, starting at 7am.

Speaking through tears, Mr Smith told the newspaper: "Ian was always there with me, from the minute I started work until the end of the day. He had a drink problem but that day he was completely sober and was looking forward to starting work again the next day.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6058186.ece

that day means during work, not after.

i watched an interview on sky where a friend of his said they'd had a few drinks

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...edOnBodyOfIanTomlinson&lpos=searchresults

Along with a female friend they went to help. The woman, a third-year medical student, said: "It was almost as if he was clowning around.

"He smelt of alcohol and seemed happy, not distressed, but as we were talking he just stopped responding." She immediately started giving him first aid.

Oh my:

Thats a somewhat odd article from the Guardian - Anthony Hardy was actually charged and pled guilty to the murder of Sally White (along with the other two girls), so one would have expected this comment:

Last night, Dr Patel said: "As far as I know, my findings [in the Sally White case] stand as they were, and I wasn't criticised."

to have been questioned. As for the IPCC, they are probably correct in the quote that has been emboldened.

Fuck's sake, the IPCC haven't even made it a fully independent investigation yet. And they let CoLP interview the thug who hit Tomlinson. They're not just a joke, they seem absolutely determined to make sure that we get the joke before they completely implode.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/08/g20-police-assault-ian-tomlinson-ipcc

The Independent Police Complaints Commission was until today proposing to look into Tomlinson's death at its second most serious level, a "managed" investigation, in which local police carry out the work, but "under the direction and control of the IPCC". The problem is that a 'managed' investigation does not have the same credibility of the most serious form of investigation, the 'independent' investigation, in which IPCC staff conduct the investigation themselves. The IPCC is now thinking about moving to the higher level. It should do so immediately.

Doh! I hate the way the Guardian does that to me! I thought it was related to the news that they had allowed the CoLP to conduct the interview. I'm all confused now. :(

Fuck's sake, the IPCC haven't even made it a fully independent investigation yet.

Grauniad said:
Wednesday 8 April 2009 15.15 BST

Grauniad said:
Wednesday 8 April 2009 18.31 BST

Ian Tomlinson death: IPCC takes over inquiry from G20 protests police force

• IPCC reverses decision to hand case to City of London force
• Second postmortem to form part of independent investigation
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/08/ian-tomlinson-video-inquiry-ipcc

:cool:

can anyone confirm:
24 Hour vigil for Ian Tomlinson starts 2pm today at Bank

not starting a discussion, just thinking it should be posted as 'event' in announcements asap in case any peeps are near to drop down for a while?

Back
Top Bottom