Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fucking Football

What you said - in context - is this:

I'm a person on this thread with a problem with football. Therefore, according to the quoted post, I'm apparently really, really stupid, ignorant and bigoted.
*bangs head. I wasn't responding to you or your post. I was responding to this SPECIFIC post: "
Originally Posted by fogbat
From this thread, it looks like football fans get really angry really easily.
But just so there's no confusion, The comment wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the poster I quoted. And that wasn't you. I don't think you hold his bigoted opinions.

but I nonetheless have some good friends who fall into that category and I would not describe them as bigoted. .

Fair enough. I can say the same - However I'm often disturbed at how folk who are fine in most other circumstances can turn into the most appaling bigots/racists/thugs or apologists for them where football is concerned. Don't like it & never have.

[QUOTEWhat when the very language around that team/opponent is steeped in racism & bigotry? Rangers/Celtic for one.

BTW, people do die or injure themselves & others over football round here.][/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's something to do with history/religion, but hey, I feel for you, missing your favourite radio show, probably two episodes as well if it was cancelled due to a football tournament

Could you not listen again on the internet?

I'm starting to go off football now, it's ruining stuff

:)

Sometimes other people's hobbies can get in the way of stuff I'd like to do.

I usually read a book or something

*bangs head. I wasn't responding to you or your post. I was responding to this SPECIFIC post: "
But just so there's no confusion, The comment wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the poster I quoted. And that wasn't you. I don't think you hold his bigoted opinions.

I'm honoured you've singled me out, as well as taking my comments far more seriously than they were meant.

Any chance you could answer my question now? :)

e2a: Also, could you please quote where I posted bigoted opinions on the thread? Even when you're not selectively quoting, I can't see it.

you said i
t looks like people who have a problem with football are really, really stupid, ignorant and bigoted people.

not
it looks like fogbat is really, really stupid, ignorant and bigoted people.

Sorry, but I can only respond to what you post, not what you meant

Are you seriously trying to tell us that Old Firm bigotry is a product of football rather than hundreds of years of British and Irish history?

They seem to have got that bound-up with the football in a way that is now indivisible.

I also note that for what, the last two seasons? The anti-bigotry laws are read out before every match & every time they get broken, but just how many matches have been called-off so far?

missing your favourite radio show, probably two episodes as well if it was cancelled due to a football tournament

It was cancelled for the fucking duration - replaced by several hours of rehash/discussion of that day's play. :p

There are the odd times when I'm happy not to be connected as well. :)

You like music don't you El_Jefe? Going to a football match is very much like going to a festival, lots of good craic and watching a football team play on T.V. is like watching a band play, some are good to watch, others are not. The BBC has to cater for the whole of society, I'm sure whatever it was that you missed will be on again at some stage.

celtic%20fans.jpg

You like music don't you El_Jefe? Going to a football match is very much like going to a festival, lots of good craic and watching a football team play on T.V. is like watching a band play, some are good to watch, others are not. The BBC has to cater for the whole of society, I'm sure whatever it was that you missed will be on again at some stage.

I'm not debating whether football is good or not - I think it's shit, but that's me. The BBC already caters for football fans - on TV, on Five Live etc etc etc.

Rubbish, there are loads of BBC stations full of music and that speaking stuff. And not a single dedicated football channel - this temporary beachhead is the best millions can hope for <sniff>

;)

I'm not debating whether football is good or not - I think it's shit, but that's me. The BBC already caters for football fans - on TV, on Five Live etc etc etc.

Yeh and that's less than 1% of programming on BBC. I don't particularly like Strickly Come Dancing but I don't barge into the T.V. forum and make a thread about it cos I know you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to BBC. Don't you think it's a little childish coming into the Sports forum making a thread titled "Fucking Football"? It's bound to get a negative reaction.

However, posting a thread on the Sports forum titled 'Fucking Football' does seem like a not-too-subtle attempt at trolling, or at the very least a wind up exercise, and likely to cause the very responses we have seen..

Perhaps you should vent your fury at the controller of BBC radio, seeing as they'd be to blame, not football itself. And perhaps this thread should have been better placed in the books/TV forum- though that would not have been nearly as much fun would it.

However, posting a thread on the Sports forum titled 'Fucking Football' does seem like a not-too-subtle attempt a trolling, or at the very least a wind up exercise, and likely to cause the very responses we have seen..

No, it was a a genuine, although fairly lighthearted, spontaneous expression of annoyance.

Back
Top Bottom