Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

weltweit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19646748
France in embassy alert over Prophet Muhammad cartoons

Security is being increased at France's interests abroad after a French satirical magazine published obscene cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

French embassies, consulates, cultural centres and international French schools in some 20 countries will be closed on Friday as a precaution.

And so it goes on.

french265__994799608.jpg

84691434.6C6u7UDD.LHRFeb07013.jpg

The medieval Christians didn't have a problem with the naked body..

Saint Sebastian, cast 1482-1484
Matteo Civitali

Mahmoud Ghozlan, a spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood, said that French law should deal with insults against Islam in the same way as it deals with Holocaust denial.

lol. coz theyre the same thing eh? cunt.

charlie-hebdo-cover.jpeg

Not exactly that offensive.

I am liking all this winding up of islamists though, I have to say.
My French is fairly shit but seems to be equating mocking of Muhammad as in a a representative of his religion and its dogmas with mocking of Jews in general, which is just racist bollocks.

If Allah or God for that matter is all powerful, surely he will 'punish' the unbelievers/heretics, etc, why have a middle man...

My French is fairly shit but seems to be equating mocking of Muhammad as in a a representative of his religion and its dogmas with mocking of Jews in general, which is just racist bollocks.

'Untouchables [who] you mustn't make fun of.'

From the front cover, seems to be saying you can't take the piss out off Jews or Muslims (assume that's meant to be a 'generic' Muslim rather than Muhammed?). Haven't seen the inside cartoons though.

'Untouchables [who] you mustn't make fun of.'

From the front cover, seems to be saying you can't take the piss out off Jews or Muslims (assume that's meant to be a 'generic' Muslim rather than Muhammed?). Haven't seen the inside cartoons though.
Cheers Sue. Think you're right about them both being generic having thought on.
So that would make it not exactly the same bold ground for free speech as going for specific religious figures/dogmas. One of those liberal arguments that is correct in its basics (you can say what you like) but you sort of know that the major problem with the bourgeois press in France won't be its lack of chances to have a pop at religious minorities.

Shame we can't see the cartoons which are inside the mag. I had a nose earlier but it seems no one online wants to be tarred with the same brush "for republishing them".

If the portrayal of Mo is banned, how do we or the protesters know if he looks anything like this, or indeed the Danish one? He might have been clean-shaven and ginger for all we know.

Reactions: Mab
It's the Islamists, the salafists who're doing the winding up. They depend on this stuff as part of their political strategy.

I thought it was a stunt by publishers and editors to raise awareness about a periodical in order to gain more advertising revenue.

Back
Top Bottom