Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freedom Press, firebombed - donations being accepted

Despite being dead and buried years before it happened? I think you mean the text the End of Music which was attributed to the wise brothers by Stuart Home in one of his collections (at that time i think they were doing BM BIS i think) but which they say was nothing to do with them.

Benefit download compilation for Freedom Books, badly damaged in a fascist arson attack in Feb, now available from Iron Column Records. 71 bands and tunes from around the world (some recorded exclusively for this comp), in a plethora of styles, for a minimum donation of £1 (although please feel free to give more if you can).

There's also a link to a free high-quality mp3 version of the comp via the Bandcamp page (scroll to the bottom). We'd rather people have the music to help them through tough times than have to go without because they're skint.

Please share and spread the word.

http://ironcolumnrecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-new-world-in-our-hearts

Benefit download compilation for Freedom Books, badly damaged in a fascist arson attack in Feb, now available from Iron Column Records. 71 bands and tunes from around the world (some recorded exclusively for this comp), in a plethora of styles, for a minimum donation of £1 (although please feel free to give more if you can).

There's also a link to a free high-quality mp3 version of the comp via the Bandcamp page (scroll to the bottom). We'd rather people have the music to help them through tough times than have to go without because they're skint.

I have already bought the tshirt...

*rimshot*

Some damn good music there. Have shared widely.

Sabcat must have had a lot of orders because it took two or three weeks to arrive instead of a few days like it usually does. By the time it arrived I forgot I had ordered it :oops:
lol, same here, got it as a Valentine's present for my gf, surprised her with it 3 weeks later.

Freedom no longer to be published in hard copy.

We have come to realise that a sold hardcopy newspaper is no longer a viable means of promoting the anarchist message. Despite a huge publicity boost to Freedom following the firebomb attack last year (shop sales rose 50%) there has not been a corresponding increase in distribution of the paper. Only 29 shops, social centres and individuals now sell it and the number of paying subscribers has fallen to 225.As a result annual losses now amount to £3,500, an unsustainable level for our shoestring budget.

I confidently predict that it will be restarted with another group (possibly with a large donation or inheritance).

butchersapron said:
I confidently predict that it will be restarted with another group (possibly with a large donation or inheritance).

Putting to bed the myth that anarchists have wealthy backgrounds.

It's hard to see how they are going to stop making a loss with a web publication and free sheet. Free sheets by their very nature have to be subsidised.

Last edited:
because a sheet costs pennies and can be done in house where as a newspaper needs sending off, printing, stitching and delivering by an outside org

It's hard to see how they are going to stop making a loss with a web publication and free sheet. Free sheets by their very nature have to be subsidised.

Have you read the statement? A lot of their costs - so hence their losses - was shouldered by the goodwill of Aldgate Press who presumably will shift that goodwill to the cheaper-to-print free sheet.

because a sheet costs pennies and can be done in house where as a newspaper needs sending off, printing, stitching and delivering by an outside org

That rather depends on how professional looking the free sheet is going to be. They can range from looking like a paid for paper to a double sided photocopy. I was presuming they were talking about something more towards the fancy end of the spectrum rather than a glorified leaflet.

That rather depends on how professional looking the free sheet is going to be. They can range from looking like a paid for paper to a double sided photocopy. I was presuming they were talking about something more towards the fancy end of the spectrum rather than a glorified leaflet.
It sounds like the free sheet will not be a regular thing though and rightly so, good for Freedom taking the plunge

It is sad, but the key thing is effectiveness in reaching readers, and im sure they'll immediately get 10 times the readers they had by publishing online.
You are possibly right, but I would ask what is the depth of those readers attachment to the ideas therein? Will it be any more than the attachment felt when watching a dancing cat? This might sound flippant but the internet encourages fragmentation, dissipation, indeed distraction. I am influenced here by books such as Nicholas Carr's The Shallows on how the internet changes the way we think read & remember. Not the type of debate suited to the virtual format, but there you have it. The continued existence of multiple high production value magazines on the high street/in supermarkets tells me that the printed word is not dead, yet.

Back
Top Bottom