Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fred Whitton Challenge

Well, I finished in 11 hrs 35 mins, which is apparently respectable for a rookie sportive rider.

It was insanely difficult though - especially the wind - and how an earth anyone has the guts and determination to make it up Hard Knott and then tackle Wrynose without walking is beyond me although I saw some succeed.

Great challenge and we managed to raise 3k+ for the charity that focuses on my bro's subset of cancer, which made it all worthwhile.

Well done! It was epic, will deffo go for this again. Had a few well deserved beers afterwards before what I hoped would be a 3 hour sleep in my tent before the long drive home. Dreamt that I was in a washing machine and woke to find that the wind was blowing a Hooley and rolling me and the tent along the campsite!
Final score was 1 broken oz tent, 11hrs driving for 8 1/2 hrs cycling.

The descent down the other side of the Honister Pass was like some wide-action shot from a fantasy film - huge winds, driving horizontal rain, precipitious descent, occasional glimpses of an enormous, largely barren valley with a lake at the bottom - if I hadn't been concentrating so hard on getting my braking right, it might actually have been enjoyable in the moment. :)

Didn't notice a lake! I was concentrating solely on my brakes. I went down Chimney Bank a fortnight ago which is supposed to be the steepest road in England but Honister/ Hard Knott seemed more extreme.

Back
Top Bottom