Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Edinburgh - London: train vs plane (Scotsman challenge)

It's faster if you know all the restrictions and work around them.

What are they? A handy summary of all the restrictions would be useful for many people.

Dunno all the tricks but if you have to check luggage in it adds loads of time to your travel. I never check luggage in but I'm never away for more than 4 nights. I check in online, get to airport, go through security, check out shops, get on plane, get off, leave airport. Only queues are to get on/off plane :) If you have toiletries make sure they are less than 100ml(or up to) and in a sealed sandwich/freezer type bag.

You can fly Scotairways(or whatever it's called now) from Edinburgh to LCY btw, no idea what the prices are coz IF i can afford to fly with them I go from Dundee :)

Dunno all the tricks but if you have to check luggage in it adds loads of time to your travel. I never check luggage in but I'm never away for more than 4 nights. I check in online, get to airport, go through security, check out shops, get on plane, get off, leave airport. Only queues are to get on/off plane :) If you have toiletries make sure they are less than 100ml(or up to) and in a sealed sandwich/freezer type bag.

You can fly Scotairways(or whatever it's called now) from Edinburgh to LCY btw, no idea what the prices are coz IF i can afford to fly with them I go from Dundee :)

BA's document is a 130 point checklist, comprised of 26 categories, each of which with a set of five yes/no conditions.

Removing things like explosives and ammunition :) there's still a fair amount of ordinary household items. Spare laptop batteries have specific restrictions on where they can go, certain types of cigarette lighters are a no-no, gas hair straighteners/curlers have particular considerations etc etc.

You may obviously know how to travel for your particular needs. Many people don't, as the contents of the amnesty bins are a testament to. Others will blunder through on a happy mix of ignorance and not getting caught.

What underlines that this level of inconvenience is real, not imagined, is that the airlines themselves (some, at least) are actively lobbying against it. If it didn't exist, why would they do that?

The argument is completely mad though.

Whenever I travelled to Barcelona I took a flight. Whenever I travelled to Berlin I did the same. Whenever I travelled to Brussels it made more sense to take the train as there was a quicker and cheaper service doing it.

As for travellingto the norh, I take the train. Money aside, the trains are more widely available and as I'm passing through Peterborough I'd be just pulling in to Gatwick...

The argument is completely mad though.

Whenever I travelled to Barcelona I took a flight. Whenever I travelled to Berlin I did the same. Whenever I travelled to Brussels it made more sense to take the train as there was a quicker and cheaper service doing it.

As for travellingto the norh, I take the train. Money aside, the trains are more widely available and as I'm passing through Peterborough I'd be just pulling in to Gatwick...

Sure. I find the transatlantic train services very limited. ;)

And conversely, when you get below the 3 hour tipping point, most people take the train. (e.g. Eurostar 75% market share of London-Paris).

It's the boundary cases of 4-5 hours by train that make for an interesting debate. :)

Unlike the trains which stop at 18:00 in each direction - useless.

The point here is that with Cityjet, the earliest time you could start your business in the city is about 16:00. Realistically you've got two hours before having to turn tail.

For this reason, I suspect almost noone uses Cityjet for a one day EDI-LON business trip.

Sure. I find the transatlantic train services very limited. ;)

And conversely, when you get below the 3 hour tipping point, most people take the train. (e.g. Eurostar 75% market share of London-Paris).

It's the boundary cases of 4-5 hours by train that make for an interesting debate. :)

Fair dos. I have considered flying to the north in the past but it never made sense. If I was going north of the border it probably would.

This ^^. If he hadn't checked luggage in he would have beaten the train.
But that's the whole point: you don't need to check anything in when you travel by train and there's not some jobsworth weighing your luggage either, ready and willing to fine you if you go over your miniscule allowance.

But that's the whole point: you don't need to check anything in when you travel by train and there's not some jobsworth weighing your luggage either, ready and willing to fine you if you go over your miniscule allowance.
Come off it Ed, seriously. Yes, budget airlines sting you for overweight luggage (which you know well in advance of your journey, unless you've been living in a box for the last five years). But for most non 'budget' flights (which in the case of Edinburgh > London City would be with carriers like BA, Air France, CityJet) the baggage allowance is much more generous - 20 to 23kg checked baggage, iirc, and either 10 or 12kg hand baggage.

That's upwards of 30kg of baggage - most people travel with far far less, whatever their mode of transport.

/slight derail: and enough of the disparaging remarks about check-in staff: the vast majority do a darn good job and have to deal with more than their fair share of arrogant twats ime. And if someone turns up at the airport with a piece of baggage that weighs more than their allowance, whose fault is that? And no doubt we all have stories about arsey ticket conductors on trains and the like /end derail

How would you fancy living under the flight path of all those noisy, late night planes, Cobbles?

Houses under a flight path are cheap - just like houses that have a railway line at the bottom of the garden.

If you want somewhere quiet and secluded, then be prepared to pay the relevant premium.

The point here is that with Cityjet, the earliest time you could start your business in the city is about 16:00. Realistically you've got two hours before having to turn tail.

For this reason, I suspect almost noone uses Cityjet for a one day EDI-LON business trip.

You can also use BA and Air France - between the 3 of them, there's a flight to London City just about every hour, starting at about 6:30 and running through to just after 7PM - heading South, as far as I can recall, the last plane north is 8-ish.

Air travel pisses all over the train for flexibility as the last London bound flight is the Gatwick one around 9PM so depending on where you live (probably as many people live close to Gatwicka s live next door to Kings Cross) it'll still get you home before your colleague who had to duck out of a meeting, tail between their legs to catch the last train at 6PM...............

Houses under a flight path are cheap - just like houses that have a railway line at the bottom of the garden.

If you want somewhere quiet and secluded, then be prepared to pay the relevant premium.
Right. So poor people should just put up with the noise and pollution because you're just so damn important yes?

Right. So poor people should just put up with the noise and pollution because you're just so damn important yes?

Is that noise and pollution from railway lines that you're talking about? As the railways have been there since the 1850's there can't be anybody left who can remember "the days before the tracks were laid and this was a nice quiet house" - apart from folk about to be blighted by the mooted "high speed" rail link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/01/ladbroke-hs2-conservation-railway etc. etc. - bloody nimbies standing in the way of railway expansion - tsk tsk what's property values and a bit of extra noise compared with the convenience of hen and stag parties being able to get oop Nawth (as far as the Midlands, anyway) a wee bit quicker,

So, to summarise the findings so far from a business travel point of view.

(a) You can shave time off by going to City on BA or AF, but it's about 2 - 3 times the price of the other London Airports, based on the numbers I looked at. For short notice trips, this can mean as much as £200+ premium.

(b) CityJet isn't an option for day trips, so that's irrelevant in the scope of the Scotsman Challenge. [Retracted]

(c) The longest you can sit down to do some work during the journey is about an hour. About 40 minutes if this needs to be on a laptop. During this time, you can't use the internet or have a phone conversation.

Correct so far?

The noise issue possibly remains moot, when looking at High Speed Rail vs. Short Haul Air.

There are perhaps more recent studies, so far I've only found the 2001 government research, which concluded:

"Our conclusion is that without more detailed analysis, on a route by route basis, it is not possible to say categorically that one mode has a lower noise burden than the other."

http://cfit.independent.gov.uk/pubs/2001/racomp/racomp/04.htm

So, to summarise the findings so far from a business travel point of view.

(a) You can shave time off by going to City on BA or AF, but it's about 2 - 3 times the price of the other London Airports, based on the numbers I looked at. For short notice trips, this can mean as much as £200+ premium.

(b) CityJet isn't an option for day trips, so that's irrelevant in the scope of the Scotsman Challenge.

(c) The longest you can sit down to do some work during the journey is about an hour. About 40 minutes if this needs to be on a laptop. During this time, you can't use the internet or have a phone conversation.

Correct so far?

You can book a flight today for a flight Edinburgh to London City on friday for as little as £59 , I dont suppose you could get a train for that. Why is Cityjet not an option for day trips, its more of an option than rail!

Cityjet start at 625am, I dont understand your point!

You can book a flight today for a flight Edinburgh to London City on friday for as little as £59 , I dont suppose you could get a train for that.

Here's some more cherry picked numbers that have no context:

You can book a sleeper to the highlands for as little as £21.

My mate once gave me a lift for free.

etc etc

The only way to fairly compare is to pick an actual journey, on a given day, with whatever requirements (baggage, timing, end points etc) applied equally.

Cityjet start at 625am, I dont understand your point!

Ah, apologies, correction then: When I went to test the booking, the only available flight was 13:50. So maybe you can use CityJet if they've got seats left.

If you give a fuck about the environment, there's 87% less CO2 emissions per passenger by train on the London to Edinburgh route compared to the plane.

Incidentally, the environmental benefit of taking the train instead of a plane may be much greater than 90%.* Airliners emit their CO2 directly into the upper atmosphere, where it is likely to do over twice the damage of the same quantity of CO2 emitted at ground level (estimates vary between 2 & 3 times the damage, but 2.7 is the factor normally used).* This factor isn't included in the Eurostar findings.

http://www.seat61.com/CO2flights.htm

There is already a thread on this. :mad:

Regarding costs - these are all too often ignored in these comparisons (especially once people start talking about flying to city airport etc) and there is an entrenched myth that the plane is usually much cheaper.

Recently I wrote to Time Out because they had done a travel feature on Scotland and had only listed the options for flying, saying nothing about the train. The travel editor replied to me with various feeble excuses, and also said:

Also, many Londoners do book trips at short notice and the price of a train ticket can be 3-4 times that of an air ticket when bought a week or so before travel.

I know that's rubbish so I wrote back to him with some examples, as follows:

Below I've listed some prices available right now. I've looked for prices assuming a long weekend in Glasgow, leaving London on the Friday, and returning on the Monday. In one instance, about a week from now (Fri 12th-Mon 15th) and in the other about 3 weeks from now (Fri 26th-Mon 29th). I've looked at rail prices and Easyjet prices.

For the weekend one week from now, the cheapest return cost by Easyjet is £62. It's £76 if you don't want to have to get to the airport early in the morning. On top of those prices, you're going to have to add on travel to/from the airports which is going to be at least £20-30 and I note that with Easyjet it's an extra £18 for every bag you want to take on.
By train, if you're happy with an early morning start, the cheapest return price is £70. £95 leaving later in the day. Importantly, even if you buy for your ticket on the day, you can buy a return for £109, and you can use that on most trains throughout the day.

For the weekend 3 weeks from now, the cheapest by plane is £47 + extras (realistically about £75 minimum), by train £60 centre-centre.

Those are the facts... it's just simply not at all true to say that the train costs "3-4 times" the price of air travel. As I say above, even if you buy a ticket on the day, for nearly all leisure journeys, a return train to Glasgow need be no more than £109. A third of that is £37. I challenge you to find a way to get from London to Glasgow and back by plane for less than that, even several weeks in advance.

Easyjet
Fri 12th -
dep 0725, £35, Gatwick
dep 1415, £49, Luton

Mon 15th -
dep 1920, £27, Luton

Fri 26th -
dep 0715, £28, Luton
dep 1415, £59, Luton

Mon 29th -
dep 1745, £19, Stanstead

Train
Fri 12th -
dep 0539, £35
dep 0830, £60

Mon 15th -
dep 1600, £35
dep 1840, £70 (1st Class)

Fri 26th -
dep 0539, £35
dep 1757, £60

Mon 29th -
dep 1600, £35
dep 1840, £25

The prices are those retrieved on the 4th Nov. Yes, I know there are other airlines aside from Easyjet but I think it's fair to use them as a general indication.

Back
Top Bottom