Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fred Whitton Challenge

More importantly, can anyone point me in the direction of a good site for training rides around London - no worries if it involves a short ride on a locomotive to the start point.

I calculate that I have four days (two weekends) to get in two proper training rides in this weekend and the next. I'm thinking 40, 50, 60 then 70 miles - or would that approach be counterproductive?

I like: http://www.cycle-route.com/ there'll be plenty on there from London to the Surrey hills

Also could try the London Classic route: http://www.thelondonclassic.org/route-2/

Canonbie Rd climb is brutal

Theres no recovery time in there, you'd be better doing a 50 and not riding on the Sunday, then the following weekend trying to ride a 70, its counter productive to push as hard as you're suggesting without adequate recovery.

Hmm... not sure what to prioritise then in terms of hills/distance/stamina/maximum power output/weight etc...

depends on how far you've ever ridden or are used to ride now, how old you are and how fast your body recovers, how much alcohol you drink, how much sugar you consume...

Generally people overcook training but one of the key phases of training is rest. Listen to the body innit.

Done around a hundred miles on maybe 6 occasions but not on a regular basis and not recently.

I am pretty fit in general and 31 years old.

Probably drink more than is healthy but tend to more or less cut that out in the next few weeks.

Don't consume much sugar and stick to a fairly good diet.

The thing I can't get my head around is that Canonbie Rd is supposed to be 18% but Hards Knott pass is supposed to be 30% - how does that work?

The thing I can't get my head around is that Canonbie Rd is supposed to be 18% but Hards Knott pass is supposed to be 30% - how does that work?

This is the offending part
maxresdefault.jpg

Only 30% for a section.Plenty will walk it.

here is a 25% section of the Koppenberg in flanders:
135-PIC269979611.jpg

and for balance, the 18% section of Canonbie road
1435559_eb41053e.jpg

Done around a hundred miles on maybe 6 occasions but not on a regular basis and not recently.

That got me thinking how many 100+ mile rides I've done. I'm pretty sure it's more than six.

Hmm... I wonder how many though.

Only two, for me. Castles 100 and a loop down to Rye via Ashford and Camber last summer.

I've done 70 miles in the Alps with 10k feet of climbing, mind, and that was harder.

I find that more than 30-40 miles it becomes mainly a mental thing.

If you've started it and you're committed you will get through it but you have to be smart about recognising when your blood sugar levels are getting too low, especially dangerous because as they get lower you make poorer and poorer decisions, in particular to press on to get it "over and done with", which is basically incredibly dumb.

The other point is about segmentation, which circuit training really drills into you more directly. The other day we had (this terminology may be wrong) a super sets session of 50 reps on each station, and some of the stations were ridiculous such as 50 pull-ups or 50 deadlifts or 50 bench presses. No way you can do that without breaking it down into sections and concentrating on the increments.

This is the offending part
maxresdefault.jpg

Only 30% for a section.Plenty will walk it.

here is a 25% section of the Koppenberg in flanders:
135-PIC269979611.jpg

and for balance, the 18% section of Canonbie road
1435559_eb41053e.jpg

The top picture is a bit scary.

Clearly you need a lot of core strength to drive through the pedals there.

Pretty sure I will be walking that one...

Canonbie Road I've found very challenging and I can see the extreme difficulty that the pave brings to the scenario at Koppenberg but the fact that you are on a 30% gradient at Hardknott and have to ride over a ford/stream on the way is probably a bridge too far...

Still, will have a go. Once you start a climb you never want to stop until it's done, purely for pride and that's a powerful motivator.

As a final point - if you measured the gradient of the whole of Swain's Lane, it would surely provide a different result from the extreme gradient that exists just after the cemetery/Waterlow park entrances and the top (as I think of it) shortly before Bisham Gardens.

I suppose I'm trying to reassure myself that I have at least dealt with these kind of gradients if only in very brief snatches before because after all the percentage will always depend on the horizontal that you use to divide the vertical, no?

But we're getting into mathematics here, which I am rubbish at so may be talking total nonsense...

Canonbie Road was pretty much my limit with my current fitness and my (much fitter) friend got off and walked, can't imagine 30%, what's Ditching Beacon? I found that harder but because it's much longer

Canonbie Road was pretty much my limit with my current fitness and my (much fitter) friend got off and walked, can't imagine 30%, what's Ditching Beacon? I found that harder but because it's much longer

The London Classic goes over the easy side, 18% is the short sharp bit on the south side - the rest is 12% or so apart from a hoik to 14% on the bend.

Ditching isn't that hard, its just the gradient shifts a lot. Try Chalk pit Lane and Yorks Hill (both near Westerham, Kent) if you want big gradients.

Ah, my local foils. Toys Hill is also a bit of a pig.

For Alpine levels of climbing we do Toys, Ide, Yorks, Bayley's, Hubbards, Carter's, Riverhill, Brasted, and Chalkpit Lane in a day. I also have a route planned that includes Kidds Hill for about 12k feet of climbing in just over 100 miles. Grim.

One of my 'before work' loops is up Bayley's, down Ide, then past Chiddingstone Castle before heading home. It's a fine part of the world to cycle in.

Im on this too! Hoping that Paris-Brest-Paris qualifiers will stand me in good stead.
In the little time left concentrate on hill repeats and get lots of rest.
On the day use spds just in case you do need to walk up steeper sections and be prepared for possibility of cold and wet weather. Take it easy on the downhill sections and enjoy :)

Hope you've already entered WCW as it's now full. I was going to do it as one of my 600s but missed out, so I volunteered to help out at the Hartlebury control instead.

Hope you've already entered WCW as it's now full. I was going to do it as one of my 600s but missed out, so I volunteered to help out at the Hartlebury control instead.
Yes, booked it back in Jan. At least by volenteering you'll get a guaranteed place on LEL.

Already have a guaranteed place on LEL 2017 as I was a volunteer on LEL 2013. Sucker for punishment, me.

Hopefully you'll be wearing a carnation buttonhole or something so I can recognise you at Hartlebury.

I have no idea what "being with da waffa" means. I assume you're a young person speaking gangsta or something.

>I ride a blue Rourke

Be sure to carry your bike into the control where I might be serving food or stamping cards so I can identify you.

:p

Back
Top Bottom