Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Train v hire car in uk, challenge

I'm a 47 year old mature student and needed a Railcard last year because I got sent on a work placement twenty miles away. They don't actually have a 'mature students railcard' or anything so they gave me a 16-25 one. The first couple of times I got inspected I blurted out the whole story but none of the inspectors were phased by it in the slightest.
This is what the job centres rail card is for

Why on earth would I want to do that? At least travelling by train means I can have a sleep - although I know plenty of car drivers seem to do likewise.

You sleep on teh train? Let us know which one you are on and I’ll save you the angst of being robbed by an outright stranger…

Most students aren't entitled to unemployment benefits
Just to complicate things we do have a family UC claim and I could probably get one; but the job centre is completely unable to get their heads round our family's unusual situation and it doesn't apply to many other people, if any.

However my next placement is not nearly as far away and I don't need a railcard anymore.

Just to complicate things we do have a family UC claim and I could probably get one; but the job centre is completely unable to get their heads round our family's unusual situation and it doesn't apply to many other people, if any.

However my next placement is not nearly as far away and I don't need a railcard anymore.

Yeah, you're a good example of an exception. Didn't think you were getting it as an unemployment benefit though?

Yeah, you're a good example of an exception. Didn't think you were getting it as an unemployment benefit though?
My wife does because she's a full time carer and the full amount with various allowances is slightly more than my bursary. However, they leave her alone because she's a carer and keep dragging me in for job search stuff even though I haven't claimed a penny. They always let me go after five minutes explanation but they still keep booking me appointments. I think each time they just think it sounds too complicated to make a ruling on and kick the can down to the next job coach.

My wife does because she's a full time carer and the full amount with various allowances is slightly more than my bursary. However, they leave her alone because she's a carer and keep dragging me in for job search stuff even though I haven't claimed a penny. They always let me go after five minutes explanation but they still keep booking me appointments. I think each time they just think it sounds too complicated to make a ruling on and kick the can down to the next job coach.
And long may that continue. :D

How incredibly stupid of them. :(

Back
Top Bottom