whos going through then ?

• France to Win

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Spain to Win

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Why do we have draw as an option? One team has to go through.

As I've got France in a sweepstake and Spain didn't look that great against Croatia, I'm going to go for France to go through. Probably on penalties. So a draw and France to "win" in the poll.

I think there's a few teams this season sussed out how to stop Spain/Barcelona playing their tick-tack football. It needs a lot of defensive discipline and it's not pretty to watch but the old '2 X lines of four' and a lot of concentration on closing down the angles seems effective because Spain (and Barcelona) don't seem to have a plan B -if they keep running into dead ends around the penalty area they seem incapable of changing.

It could be an interesting game for the football fans who enjoy the tactical battle but if you like free flowing football it ain't gonna be pretty. Spain/Barcelona's pretty pretty football was good but nothing lasts for ever - people wise up and work out how to stop it.

France by the odd goal or on penalties - I fancy them on penalties because if you're Spain and had 65% of the ball and not won there must be a doubt in your mind whether this is your night and if you've any doubts penalties are not for you. At this level you've gotta be ultra-confident in a penalty situation.

I
Why do we have draw as an option? One team has to go through.

As I've got France in a sweepstake and Spain didn't look that great against Croatia, I'm going to go for France to go through. Probably on penalties. So a draw and France to "win" in the poll.

It was an obvseration test , well done ;)

But also I wasn't very awake when I created it :)

I didn't see the France v Sweden game, but didn't expect that result. I am expecting Spain to win this easily.

If France were just incredibly unlucky against Sweden, then it might be closer, but Spain will still win.

images

In Xabi we trust.

Some interesting facts for tonight's game....
Head-to-head
  • Spain have never won against France in a major tournament (one World Cup and three European Championship encounters). It is six competitive matches in total.
  • Vicente del Bosque's men have won three of their last four games against France, all of them friendlies (the other match being the 3-1 World Cup defeat in 2006).
  • France are the only side to have beaten Spain twice at the Euros - excluding penalty shootouts (beating them in 1984 and in 2000).
  • Spain have never won a European Championship quarter-final in regulation time.
  • They will equal the European Championship record for of 10 matches unbeaten if they avoid defeat.
  • Spain were the only team to keep more than one clean sheet in the group stages of Euro 2012.
  • If selected, Xabi Alonso will win his 100th cap for his country.
  • France have reached the quarter-finals for the fourth time in the last five editions of the Euros. Greece (lost 1-0 at Euro 2004) were the last country to knock them out at this stage.
  • France are one of only two countries whose strikers haven't scored at Euro 2012 - the other being the Republic of Ireland.
  • Karim Benzema has had 15 shots so far at Euro 2012 - but no goals to show for his efforts.

Well I put 'draw' - thinking it meant 'penalties'.

I also predict a tight, cautious game that will end 0-0 or 1-1.

Winners face portugal in the semis.

Ribery* to play a blinder and secure the win.

*Only French player I know. Let that tell you what me prediction's worth.

Set their stall out well early doors the French, not going to get pressed back by tippy tappy.

I've had a strange feeling too that France are going to win. Lot of pressure on Spain - no pressure on France

Me and me delay again. Lucky cos the French back slipped. 4-1 France, never lost to Spain in a competitive match think the commentator said here :D
I asked my mate to put £10 on him scoring first for me. I hope the odds were good :D

Unlucky the French - didn't look that bothered despite Spain having the usual lion's share of possession.

Back
Top Bottom