Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foundry to be turned into Luxury Flats and Art'otel...

GarfieldLeChat

fucking awesome but wrong
6689_124002702256_597532256_2669418_8119237_n.jpg

6689_124002717256_597532256_2669420_3567591_n.jpg

So as of next year the Foundry will be knocked down and then it becomes a 5* Art'oltel for artists... at around £300 a night ... not really the usual wage for artists then unless they exhibit in the white cube round the courner...

save the Foundry FB group... with more info

Of fishwits how do you add tags to these things... :confused::confused::confused:

There's an Urban Lodge very close to the Foundry already; I assume somebody's seen that doing business. Fuck knows who actually books in there - I assume clients and maybe the odd contractor.

what a pathetic contribution
the foundry's long been a good example of what's wrong with shoreditch and hoxton. it's a place which has posed as a sort of countercultural venue while attracting a clientele generally composed of the type of people who are the advance guard of gentrification. having been there more times than i care to recall over the past 10 or so years because some groups have thought it a good place to hold meetings or drinks, i certainly won't mourn its closure. it's never been somewhere i would have gone by choice.

There's an Urban Lodge very close to the Foundry already; I assume somebody's seen that doing business. Fuck knows who actually books in there - I assume clients and maybe the odd contractor.

an urban lodge a hotel isbis a travel lodge and a hilton express what that area needs tho is an art'otel to truely give artists a place to stay and feel BoHo but still get the Crystal on tap from the working class iroic waiters and their so quaint accents...

the foundry's long been a good example of what's wrong with shoreditch and hoxton. it's a place which has posed as a sort of countercultural venue while attracting a clientele generally composed of the type of people who are the advance guard of gentrification. having been there more times than i care to recall over the past 10 or so years because some groups have thought it a good place to hold meetings or drinks, i certainly won't mourn its closure. it's never been somewhere i would have gone by choice.

no it's not it welcomes one and all is one of the most relaxed atmospheres in the area has no dress code or pretentions and is/was a good replacement from what ashes it was set up from the 150 bar ... but you know don't let your mao like hatred of artists sway your judgement eh...

they've wanted to do this for ages... there's no way this proposal is being turned down... balls :(:mad:

no it's not it welcomes one and all is one of the most relaxed atmospheres in the area has no dress code or pretentions and is/was a good replacement from what ashes it was set up from the 150 bar ... but you know don't let your mao like hatred of artists sway your judgement eh...
i've always thought the nelson retreat a finer establishment, or the george and vulture. as for no pretensions, that's a bloody laugh.

the same thing happened up the angel and in barnsbury - it's happening in whitechapel - it'll be brixton's turn at some point to enjoy this late stage of gentrification.

it attracts a far far more mixed crowd than any other bar in the locality and has provided free space for unknown and unfunded artists to show their work for years.

Pickman's is right in a way but far too extreme. The foundry is an example of the sort of place that sets up when places are cheap and unfashionable and attract "chic" to a place. The only way to prevent this sort of thing is to force everyone to stay in the area they were born, ban fashion, abolish art, and shoot anyone with a haircut on sight.

I'll miss the Foundry, it was a great place to sit when it was quiet, and the art and music policy were always a surprise... not always a welcome one mind!

pickman's model- can we get this straight, you'd prefer an 18 storey corporate hotel to one of the few independent bars in that area?

I'll miss the Foundry, it was a great place to sit when it was quiet, and the art and music policy were always a surprise... not always a welcome one mind!

is! it's still there! :p

very true about the art and music, seen some wicked stuff in there, also plenty of sub pre-school dodgy water colours. the music policy is somewhat off the wall too...

Garf talking his usual incoherent, semi-literate bollocks.

The Foundary may have no dress code but it had more pretentions than any of the wankiest bars. It has that oh so Hoxton / Shoreditch inverse pretension. Oh, look we're so cool. We understand art so much we have to have pub that looks like shit becuase cool art looks like that.

In order to enter the Foundary you will need a standard issue Hoxton asymetrical haircut, tight jeans and chip on your shoulder.. A dog on a string will get you to the VIP lounge. (Even though Mummy and Daddy paid for your Arts course at Uni.)

Its currently a complete eye-sore. Its the only thing that makes the Hen and Stag nights on Old St look good...

I welcome the incoherent, Garfield swear-world filled, posting-faq busting reply with a complete lack of interest.

In order to enter the Foundary you will need a standard issue Hoxton asymetrical haircut, tight jeans and chip on your shoulder who don't. A dog on a string will get you to the VIP lounge. (Even though Mummy and Daddy paid for your Arts course at Uni.)

333/mother bar are further up the road :rolleyes:

It would only have turned into a theme park version of itself over time anyway. places like this never last, by their nature

It would only have turned into a theme park version of itself over time anyway. places like this never last, by their nature

To be honest I think the Foundry is a wanker's paradise and has been for years, but I'd rather have it there than a bloody hotel for wankers, hired and paid for by rich wankers.

pickman's model- can we get this straight, you'd prefer an 18 storey corporate hotel to one of the few independent bars in that area?
as i've said above i think it's the replacement of a small shithole with a bigger shithole. it fits in quite nicely with the way the area's tending. while i'd prefer a traditional public house to either a bar of any description or a corporate hotel, that doesn't really appear to be on the cards. if it has to be a choice, i'd jump the way fm's gone.

fwiw- i drink there most fridays with 50-100 of my courierenger cohorts, the staff have been nice enough not to tell us to fuck off (as has happened elsewhere) and have put up with a lot of shit on our part. lots of friends have had art shown in there, some even making some money, albeit from the easily despisable side of the clientele in the area but fuck it if it's £s going from a despicable cunt to someone i actually like then it's a good thing. the sunday night wormworld spoken word session isn't something i can see working anywhere else and is fucking awesome...

the assymetrical haircut crowd issue has been grossly exaggerated on this thread unless you only go there on a saturday...

there is no legal establishment in london that does what they do there. if you're just baiting the OP then fairplay if you have that axe to grind but it will be a loss to great number of people who don't come anywhere close to the hoxton twat descriptions here...

I like the Foundry over the majority of the bars around there. It's a shame it's going but everything around there has been taken over by big business.

The Foundary may have no dress code but it had more pretentions than any of the wankiest bars. It has that oh so Hoxton / Shoreditch inverse pretension. Oh, look we're so cool. We understand art so much we have to have pub that looks like shit becuase cool art looks like that.

In order to enter the Foundary you will need a standard issue Hoxton asymetrical haircut, tight jeans and chip on your shoulder.. A dog on a string will get you to the VIP lounge. (Even though Mummy and Daddy paid for your Arts course at Uni.)

Its currently a complete eye-sore. Its the only thing that makes the Hen and Stag nights on Old St look good...

yawn , troll bollox, the foundry will always be a unique place despite it's faults, worth saving for sure. It's a surprise it's still there tbh given the seismic changes going on in the area. That corner was always going to be done over some day.

that said, whose opening the new bar ?

There's no agenda at the foundry other than let the people speak.....the cross section of events there is unparalleled in London. No other venue has that range e.g. banner making workshop to Galician separatist night to promenade theatre to full blown sweaty rave.

PS i never got the people who mocked those that were supposedly cool.......it was never cool , it was a bit shit in '98 as a opposed to cool?

is there any danger of a fuller exposition of your view on the foundry closure?

not really needed - among others, Boycey and Wrongspeed have it covered.

And to be fair, your initial post to which I responded wasn't really a comprehensive account of your thoughts on the matter, so I don't see why you felt it warranted one in reply.

Back
Top Bottom