Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

I note in a report of the Billericay fans forum tonight Glenn T said he want to average more fans than Dulwich and win the league at Leatherhead on 31st March .....
Why is he so preoccupied with beating our attendances? And I hope Leatherhead stuff them again.

It was a fan's forum. A fan asked him about stadium capacity and attendances. Dulwich may have been mentioned in relation to that. He owns the club, so will talk as owner sometimes.

They’re not exactly doing badly on the pitch now are they?

They’re not exactly doing badly on the pitch now are they?
Indeed. They're doing incredibly well and their attendances have sky rocketed, hence my comment that I find it strange that he's so bothered about beating our crowds when the club is in such a strong position.

Depending how the current situation pans out he could quite easily have bigger crowds than us there....

And, as they march to the title their crowds will grow, like it or not.

It's obvious isn't it? He might care because it takes them towards financial sustainability (though I doubt it makes much of a dent), but it's principally about trying to establish an element of moral legitimacy? If they have the biggest crowds it can be spun that "the best-supported club won the League because" rather than "the best-bankrolled club won the league".

Funny how the Leatherhead comment, being straight from the Maureen playbook, undermines that a little.

And I think we can be less touchy about his name-check of us. Saying "I want our crowds to be bigger than Dulwich" is just shorthand for "I want our crowds to be the highest in the League". It saves a whole syllable!

Depending how the current situation pans out he could quite easily have bigger crowds than us there....

And, as they march to the title their crowds will grow, like it or not.
Oh, I'm sure they will, and they'll evaporate at an even faster rate when the bubble invariably bursts.

Oh, shame I've not got any spare time this afternoon, or I'd start up a detailed new thread on the subject... ;)

Christmas shopping at Lakeside. Sports Direct and Ann Summers reporting record sales.
Never shopped in Ann Summers in my life, but happy to shop in Sports Direct. Never been to Lakeside.
Your point is... or do all accept cliches and admit we're all hipsters?

It's a Tamplinastrophe as a crowd of just 545* watch the Billion Dollar 'Ricays scramble a 2-2 draw against lowly Merstham.

*By any normal measure, a midweek crowd of that size would be a noteworthy turn out to be applauded, but in the ever-boastful Tamplin World, it amounts to something of a whoopsie.

I presume the club will be running coaches to Billericay on Sat 30th Dec. No train service in that day from London....looks like a bus replacement from Newbury Park. Would have thought we could fill 3 coaches like Braintree earlier this year

I presume the club will be running coaches to Billericay on Sat 30th Dec. No train service in that day from London....looks like a bus replacement from Newbury Park. Would have thought we could fill 3 coaches like Braintree earlier this year

It's not the club that runs coaches... it's Shaun and usually at a lose due to most people preferring to travel under their own steam

Would have thought a rail replacement is more than doable considering it isn't that far & the size of the game

Although not tweeting for 3 months (announced last week) GT tweeted today that

" BTFC fans please try and get over yo the AGO arena tonight as we are only averaging 700 fans we can't continue like that..."

On his way in the New Year ?

Couldn't agree more...he's meeting abuse with abuse.
That would be fine if it were two laaaaads in the pub. But for a self-proclaimed deeply religious man on a spiritual mission and someone representing the club he owns, it's all rather undignified - especially after he escalates the abuse into the naughtiest swear word of the lot! And he is most definitely a bullshitter given that he announced that he was staying off Twitter recently.

He'll probably delete it once his testosterone levels have calmed down, so I thought it best to preserve his executive managerial style here:

2017-12-19_132352.jpg

Would you be happy if Gavin behaved like that on Twitter? I certainly wouldn't.
That kind of yobbish, gobby attitude is only likely to attract similar types and I'd hate to sat that happen at Hamlet.

I'm all for interesting characters in football, but having bragging millionaires hurling abuse on Twitter is just embarrassing .

Would you be happy if Gavin behaved like that on Twitter? I certainly wouldn't.
The difference is...if Gavin was the Club owner, or we had a manager that behaved like Tamplin did, I wouldn't be going to games until they left.

So the answer is...bit of a red herring as I know Gavin wouldn't act like that, and the only way we'd have an owner anything remotely like Tamplin is if I win the Euro Millions tonight...so I'd humbly suggest the odds are against it! ;)

Glenn Tamplin: Billericay Town boss banned from driving - Football club owner given driving ban

Some classic Tamplin quotes in that article:

"What people don't realise is that all times of the day, I go out and help people," he said.

"I help addicts, I sponsor people, I help people with issues. But there are people I won't be able to help at 2 or 3 in the morning now, because the driver will only be able to do a certain amount of hours.

"Some families will suffer because I can't be at their beck and call."

Back
Top Bottom