Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

It depends what context it's in. If you were to post an update on social media which is just about the club (which 90% of Glenn's are) and someone calls you a cu*t and your wife ugly like I saw posted last night then I have no issues with that person being called out as the low life they are.
So you think threats of physical violence are OK because of a tweet, yes?

But as I say, the statement issued this morning takes it to another level. To show such disdain towards the ill and the unemployed shows that it's not just 'banter' (I fucking hate that phrase and everything it's used to excuse), and it's not just pushing back against the 'haters', or however else they're phrasing it. It was a clear statement of the owner's hateful attitude towards those less fortunate than him, those that are unwell, and those that are suffering. It was quite simply disgusting, and it was disgraceful.
Absolutely spot on. It is indefensible conduct and a dreadful reflection on the credibility and dignity of the league.

Please post up any responses you get from the Chairman and any other officials. I honestly fear that Tamplin's actions may lead to ugly scenes off the pitch.

It depends what context it's in. If you were to post an update on social media which is just about the club (which 90% of Glenn's are) and someone calls you a cu*t and your wife ugly like I saw posted last night then I have no issues with that person being called out as the low life they are.

How about the context of using the club's badge/branding to launch a sweeping attack on people with mental health and/or addiction issues? Or the context of jumping into bed with a newspaper that is banned by several clubs for its coverage of Hillsborough?

Seriously, are there no Billericay fans who are actually questioning this guy? Are people genuinely lapping this all up? Or is everyone scared to voice any dissent in case he throws his toys out of the pram and pulls his money out (he seems volatile enough to do just that if someone rubs him up the wrong way, which must surely be a concern in itself?).

I get that the money is exciting for fans but there's a good reason that financial fairplay rules are increasingly a part of football. Bored, rich men should not be allowed to treat football clubs as their plaything. Fans should be asking what happens to the club if Tamplin pulls out or his money dries up.

Is there any example of this sort of thing actually working out well for a small club? Not that I can think of. My references are mainly Scottish as that's where I'm from, but Gretna, Livingston and Dundee all come to mind for me - all were small clubs who had rich owners who thought they could buy success and mocked anyone who dared criticise them. All ended up in administration or worse. And the worst thing is that fans (and the media) fall for it every single time it happens.

If the team is successful and crowds go up and stay at that level as Is hoped and the club becomes self sufficient or close to then why not? The takeover has happened now so you can only go with it and believe in someone's vision...and support the club in what it's trying to achieve.

Setting aside the twitter behavior I'm not as opposed to someone injecting a bit of money as some on here. Generate a bit of hype, increase crowds, maybe gradually build the supporter base a bit, great. And building facilities - fine, there's something there for the future.

The idea that the club can become self sustaining at the level being talked about is a hubristic fantasy though. Plenty of clubs with long established fanbases in much bigger places than Billericay struggle with that and for good reason. There just aren't that many people who want to go to non-league football that regularly. Being able to get the odd big gate with a bit of hype and cheap tickets does not translate into similar numbers paying National League prices to watch a bog standard NL side in January.

Tamplin - Nobody does it better than me!

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-5_9-7-18.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-5_9-7-18.jpeg
    5.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I thought the obsession with Tamplin was getting a little unhealthy until his ludicrous tweet about the 'haters'. Interestingly, he's now replied to a critic of that tweet by mentioning a suicide attempt 10 years ago and a period in a 'mental institution'. That bizarre attempt at mitigation just makes it even more absurd.

Boy's done well though. That house, those cars etc from owning a firm that only has a claimed £6m annual turnover. He's obviously invested extremely well because investment must be where all the wealth has come from, right?

I thought the obsession with Tamplin was getting a little unhealthy until his ludicrous tweet about the 'haters'. Interestingly, he's now replied to a critic of that tweet by mentioning a suicide attempt 10 years ago and a period in a 'mental institution'. That bizarre attempt at mitigation just makes it even more absurd.

Boy's done well though. That house, those cars etc from owning a firm that only has a claimed £6m annual turnover. He's obviously invested extremely well because investment must be where all the wealth has come from, right?

Those girders coming from Holland, right?

Well that's shifted him along the 'character adding some colour / rich twat with vile worldview' continuum hasn't it. Managed to insult pretty much everyone I've ever liked, in some cases on six counts, so I guess there's at least a certain impressiveness to it.

P.S. Where can I get one of these Dulwich Hamlet wanking socks?

Also that game is against West Ham, and while 3000 tickets is good, it is in West Ham heartland.

Altona's game with West Ham sold 10,000 in 5 days, in Hamburg. Make of that what you will.

Isn't that a tad above capacity, or is it not at the Adolf-Jager?

Well it must all be legit - nobody would be stupid enough to try and draw so much attention to themselves if they were up to no good.

9yed5.jpg

Well it must all be legit - nobody would be stupid enough to try and draw so much attention to themselves if they were up to no good.
He has a seriously tainted reputation. I'd be very concerned if a shortcut-taking crook like this took over Hamlet.

A football club owner has been convicted of dumping 6,000 tonnes of rubbish with a firm linked to a crime boss.

Steel tycoon Glenn Tamplin, 45, who became a web hit singing R Kelly’s The World’s Greatest with his Billericay Town squad, was fined £45,000 and must pay £30,000 costs.

He was tried with Ricky Mann, 38, and his firm Manns Waste Management, which ran a site in East London. Waste was left at Tamplin’s estate on the River Roding in Essex.

The Dagenham waste site was leased from a firm owned by David Hunt, 56, who a judge said led “an organised crime network”. Neither he nor his firm were involved in the dump.

Football club owner convicted of dumping rubbish with firm linked to crime boss

What a selfish twat:
The area in which the waste was deposited is adjacent to the River Roding and is designated as an area liable to flood, an area designed to safely hold water in times of high water to prevent flooding. By dumping waste in this area it could have caused flood water to be diverted elsewhere.

The premises did not have an environmental permit or an exemption for the waste to be deposited and no infrastructure was in place protecting the environment from pollution.

Read more: Football club owner Glenn Tamplin fined after waste dump | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He's taken to retweeting his own braying and boasting tweets now. Just in case anyone missed how amazing he is the first time around.

"What other non league does this for fans" he asks? Of course, no one. No one is amazing as Glen.

you're right, it's 8K isn't it? Point remains valid, as does your commitment to nit-picking.
Um, how is pointing out that a capacity of a ground is wrong 'nit-picking'. If you carry on like that I'll have a view of you as coming across as a bit of a cunt online, and we wouldn't want that would we...

Not sure of the figure, but I think a lot less tickets than that went on sale, but not sure, off the top of my head...

Some classy artwork going up on the walls...we are going to need a lot of stickers!
View attachment 110807

At what point in Billericay Town's history were they in a boat? specifically, an out of proportion galleon?

Also why do they have a boat on their crest? Hamlet are 3x closer to a navigable body of water than 'ricay. Unless of course they're keen on sailing on the Hanningfield reservoir?

At what point in Billericay Town's history were they in a boat? specifically, an out of proportion galleon?

Also why do they have a boat on their crest? Hamlet are 3x closer to a navigable body of water than 'ricay. Unless of course they're keen on sailing on the Hanningfield reservoir?
Apparently it relates to 1620 when 4 or 5 Billericans fucked of to America on the Mayfair to learn the art of arrogance, that and taking over things.

Back
Top Bottom