Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Don't follow him on twitter, don't post he's tweets and don't have a thread on him then if you don't want to see this clowns showboating. It's really rather simple.

Don't follow him on twitter, don't post he's tweets and don't have a thread on him then if you don't want to see this clowns showboating. It's really rather simple.
I can see that you don't like your hero's ludicrous comments being examined and rightly ridiculed here, but who the fuck are you to say what should and shouldn't discussed here?

This clown wants attention, so he's got it. Shame he's not big enough to actually continue the conversation with anyone and has to resort to the cowardly route of blocking people though.

PS I don't follow him on Twitter. I'm a bit choosy about the people I follow, you see. :D
PPS Why are you here, fan-pup?

Great dodging of my posts, you're his biggest fan!

Although I hope that from being here and seeing how it's seen outside the BTFC bubble you're seeing the error of your ways.

I can totally see how it is viewed from outside BTFC circle. I'm not that deluded. I'm just supporting my club and as fans we just have to go along with it and see what happens. The work he is doing off the pitch is phenomenal and the ground will be something special which will draw crowds. I honestly think BTFC will get 2000-3000 consistently and there is no reason not to think bigger than that number. 3000 tickets sold for a pre season game which is a month away. What you must realise is publicity good and bad is publicity, a lot of what Glenn does on social media is to grab attention which is putting BTFC further on the map. The more retweeted the more exposure...he's not as silly as you think.

Thanks for your kind words editor, it's ironic you slate Glenn for his language and abuse aimed at people but choose to do the same to me. Double standards?

I can totally see how it is viewed from outside BTFC circle. I'm not that deluded. I'm just supporting my club and as fans we just have to go along with it and see what happens. The work he is doing off the pitch is phenomenal and the ground will be something special which will draw crowds. I honestly think BTFC will get 2000-3000 consistently and there is no reason not to think bigger than that number. 3000 tickets sold for a pre season game which is a month away. What you must realise is publicity good and bad is publicity, a lot of what Glenn does on social media is to grab attention which is putting BTFC further on the map. The more retweeted the more exposure...he's not as silly as you think.

Thanks for your kind words editor, it's ironic you slate Glenn for his language and abuse aimed at people but choose to do the same to me. Double standards?

He's consistently breaching FA rules, I know we're not the only ones upset by his tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call sooner rather than later. If you can't see that as destabilising to your club I don't know what to tell you mate.

Maybe have a word with him and tell him to calm the fuck down.

I can totally see how it is viewed from outside BTFC circle. I'm not that deluded. I'm just supporting my club and as fans we just have to go along with it and see what happens. The work he is doing off the pitch is phenomenal and the ground will be something special which will draw crowds. I honestly think BTFC will get 2000-3000 consistently and there is no reason not to think bigger than that number. 3000 tickets sold for a pre season game which is a month away. What you must realise is publicity good and bad is publicity, a lot of what Glenn does on social media is to grab attention which is putting BTFC further on the map. The more retweeted the more exposure...he's not as silly as you think?
What he does is create an unpleasant atmosphere of bullying aggression where he tries to belittle anyone who criticises him. Suggesting that someone must have addiction or mental health issues is not a fucking joke.

I don't represent a club, you idiot.

Haha editor you crack me up. anymore abuse to come my way whilst your at it?

Are you OK with the fact that the owner of your club publicly challenges people to fights, calls people pricks and uses mental health/addiction issues as an insult aimed at anyone who disagrees with him? Not having a go here - just genuinely interested in what a fan of the club thinks of that sort of stuff. Are there no Billericay fans questioning any of this or expressing discomfort with it?

No chance of you addressing the real concerns that have been brought up by Tamplin's behaviour then? You think it's OK for an 'owner/manager' to openly abuse people in this manner? Is that the kind of conduct you think is appropriate for non league football managers?

Have a feeling that Billericay isn't going to be a very nice place for away fans to watch a game this season, serves us right for being "haters" I guess.
Tamplin's doing a grand job of making it a very hostile place for supporters to visit and I dare say they'll be a few knucklehead fans who get caught up in his unpleasant and reckless aggressive rhetoric.

The aforementioned image tweeted in the early hours of the morning has 'long jumped' over the mark for me...

FSF have some good guidance on how to make a complaint, albeit largely aimed at league clubs.

I couldn't find BTFC's customer charter on their website. I hate word customer in this context), but this is what FSF call it. I have emailed the club to ask for it. Will let you know if i receive it.

Guidance is here www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/how-to-complain

19873804_10158879006495024_1571025279_n.jpg

It depends what context it's in. If you were to post an update on social media which is just about the club (which 90% of Glenn's are) and someone calls you a cu*t and your wife ugly like I saw posted last night then I have no issues with that person being called out as the low life they are.

The circus comes to town once a year in most places but Ricay will be getting it every week from August to May.
It has been done before in Essex from the only football ground in the country below sea level where Jeff moneybags King took Canvey to the edge of the fooball league, walked away and now are in Div 1 North. Poor old Grays hit the dizzy heights and now ply their trade in the same Div 1 North with their ground sold for housing and now sharing with Aveley. AFC Hornchurch went from FA cup conquerers, National league straight down to the Essex Senior League when their money bags decided to say goodbye. All three teams had short term success with egotistical self made moneymen running the show.
All three teams grabbed the attention of the locals and flocked to watch their heroes but look where they are now. History does not bode well for Ricay but I am sure the locals will enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.

It depends what context it's in. If you were to post an update on social media which is just about the club (which 90% of Glenn's are) and someone calls you a cu*t and your wife ugly like I saw posted last night then I have no issues with that person being called out as the low life they are.
Wow you are one sad man! Your owner is a criminal with the taste of a dodgy doner kebab and I for one will enjoy your demise as it is already happening right before your eyes! Wake up sunshine and smell the spray tan! Or your could listen to R Kelly to soothe your soul!!!!

Sad for having an opinion?
Honestly what is your opinion, do you really think this will all end well for your club? Look at the big picture mate do you really think he's going to plough £20k a week into a business for no return for the next five years? Do the maths that's about £5m now he maybe loaded but it will come to a point when his accountant will say enough is enough!

There aren't any Billericay fans! We will find out when they go bust.

Unlike glory hunting dulwich fans powering their way from the Ryman to the Bostick.

If the team is successful and crowds go up and stay at that level as Is hoped and the club becomes self sufficient or close to then why not? The takeover has happened now so you can only go with it and believe in someone's vision...and support the club in what it's trying to achieve.

I remember Margate fans defending their previous owner from such criticism, quite frankly because there was little alternative because he was the owner. But this chap really takes things to the next ridiculous level. I genuinely hope this story doesn't go wrong. But it doesn't look good.

If the team is successful and crowds go up and stay at that level as Is hoped and the club becomes self sufficient or close to then why not? The takeover has happened now so you can only go with it and believe in someone's vision...and support the club in what it's trying to achieve.

Don't be a hater with an IF.

Wow you really are delusional! Even if you get 3000 every week, which I very much doubt, it won't scratch the surface of the kind of money he is pumping in for the players plus the overheads of your new stadium, dancing girls and all the other Tamplin inspired paraphernalia!

Clubs at this level and Conference level don't make money those that do well, break even because they have a sustainable model built around affordability.

Your situation is like giving the credit card to a crack addict!

A couple of things first - Billericay should by rights win the league this year. They're paying a fortune to players who would attract interest at National League level and above, and over the course of the season, that quality should show through. It doesn't thrill me that they're buying the league, especially with one guaranteed promotion place, but in deciding to spend the wages they are, they're not breaking any rules. Of course there's scope for it to go wrong - with that much money being spent there's huge expectation, and the egos involved are massively disproportionate to the situation. But if they can keep their house in order internally, as is they are going to be very difficult for any team to compete with over 46 games.

The investment that's being put into their stadium and facilities, in isolation, is admirable. We know the pressures that come from facilities that don't best meet a sudden increase in numbers attending match days, and the financial pressures that a less than ideally designed stadium can impose. And that's without mentioning the threat to a club's existence should the destiny of their stadium not sit within their own hands. Whilst not all of the changes and initiatives they're introducing are up my street, I haven't seen any of their supporters complaining, and I for one am envious of the security a redeveloped stadium provides them.

But then we get to the manner in which the money is being spent. If the club, and specifically the owner, had gone about all of this quietly, and with the kind of class that the majority of other clubs across non-league conduct themselves with, I very much doubt that the confrontational atmosphere that's grown up around the club would have developed. I can't help but feel that the starting point of all of this is the very public, and very confrontational way in which the owner has conducted himself. If that doesn't start and take root, then they don't get a response (well, not to the extent that has happened, anyway). And then it doesn't escalate, and reciprocate, until you get to the point where violence is threatened, both toward and from representatives of the club. And it doesn't get to the point where one of their players and other representatives of the club get into a physical altercation with opposition supporters. And you don't get a series of flashpoints on social media, that eventually get us to the stage where the owner issues a statement in the early hours of this morning on Twitter that is simply repugnant. It would be bad enough if a supporter of the club, or any individual had posted that - but coming from the owner and manager, for me it's taken the situation to a wholly different level.

In saying that, I don't want to suggest that the type of escalation described above is acceptable - it's not. People shouldn't have a pop at them, and they shouldn't have a pop back. But it could have been defused at any point by the club. And I'm not dismissing the individual threats of violence made, either way. No-one's in the right in any of these situations, but you could argue there's a greater degree of responsibility with the club and representatives of the club, than random individuals.

But as I say, the statement issued this morning takes it to another level. To show such disdain towards the ill and the unemployed shows that it's not just 'banter' (I fucking hate that phrase and everything it's used to excuse), and it's not just pushing back against the 'haters', or however else they're phrasing it. It was a clear statement of the owner's hateful attitude towards those less fortunate than him, those that are unwell, and those that are suffering. It was quite simply disgusting, and it was disgraceful.

Up to this point, I've not felt moved to make comment against the club or the owner - it hasn't felt like a genuine problem, and that's been my personal take on it. But this has changed that. An individual operating with such influence and with such attitudes is massively damaging to the League, to non-league football more generally, and to the incredible work hosts of clubs put in to engage with their local communities and to help the very people that the statement targets. And it's once again inflamed the confrontational stance of the club. You can't help but feel that this will predicate incidents at matches this season. Abuse is the acceptable norm, threats of violence are the acceptable norm, imposition of power is the acceptable norm. If this continues, it won't end well.

The Isthmian League have a 'Commitment Message' on their website. I realise it's applicable to the League itself, but surely the expectation is the member clubs should abide by it. It says:

The Ryman [Bostik] Football League is committed to eliminate discrimination whether by reason of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex and sexual orientation.

The League is also committed to promoting equality by treating people fairly and with respect, by recognising that inequalities may exist, by taking steps to address them and providing access and opportunities for all members of the community.

You can find that here: The Bostik Football League

Billericay Town Football Club, via the actions of their owner and manager, are in flagrant breach of that commitment. Tomorrow morning, I will email Nick Robinson, the Chairman of the Isthmian League, to ask for his and the League's comments on the matter, and what they propose to do about it. Mr. Robinson's email address is chairman@isthmian.co.uk - you can find contact details for other members of the League's administration here: Contacts - The Bostik Football League.

I'm not sure if that's the most appropriate or effective course of action - I'll happily be redirected if so. And my fear is that the League is not geared up to deal with circumstances such as this, at least not in a way which materially meets the level of misconduct that's been displayed. And it feels weird to even have to do it. But the actions of this one individual, on behalf of the club he owns, run the risk of seriously damaging the League and the wider non-league in general, and I feel that's something that can't be allowed to happen unchallenged.

Last edited:
He is obviously an arse but this takes it to another level. I hope it is punished by the league although I doubt they'll do anything about it sadly....

Back
Top Bottom