Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Dear oh dear, Mr. Waldren.

I assume the last time he played at 'Ricay was for us in that "oh dear is our season really f****d?" encounter towards the end of last season. We managed to go from 0-1 up to 4-1 down and the great Waldo got sent off early in the second half for a prolonged, foul-mouthed assault on the ref. It didn't help us really.

Not sure he ever recovered from that. Daft.

Aye, no one was happy about that, but may have helped keep him here (with meadows situation...?)

But announcing signings through it makes it like a weird club mouthpiece. Shocker.
Really? Are you saying that no Dulwich Hamlet fans buy The Sun? I have no time for that paper, but if people want to buy it then it is their choice...and quite a few of our fans do read it. I had no problem with Gavin having a feature about him in it...despite my personal dislike of that particular rag. If it had been in the print edition, and I had heard about it on the day, I would have bought a copy.

No one should say no one unless they mean no one.

Literalism is the enemy of poetry after all.

As for football people, they are hardly moral arbiters. Look at the blind eyes turned to sex abuse for so long.

Of course they buy the sun if its suits their purpose #weak

I should rephrase 'no one who went out of their way on play off final day to tell me about it was happy', but the number of people who did that *was* quite high.

Quite a character himself is Ant Smith, one of the youngest chairman in non league football. Given Concords position as then as Canvey Island's "second" team two and a half grand was a pretty impressive budget then. However given he's happy to retweet the likes of Tommy Robinson not sure I'd be joining him in a beer sometime soon

Given Concords position as then as Canvey Island's "second" team two and a half grand was a pretty impressive budget then.
They also had a proper manager in Danny Cowley, who led Braintree to 3rd place in last year's Conference National and won it this year with Lincoln.

I can't see Billericay winning the league unless Tamplin appoints a serious manager and let's him get on with the job without interfering. If he leaves himself in charge they'll still wallop plenty of teams due to strength and quality of individual players, but managers with coaching pedigree and half-decent players will often outwit him and they'll come unstuck. They won't be consistent enough to win it and will be more likely to go up in the play-offs like Margate did.

Billericay's team is far better on paper than Margate's. They had Ryan Moss for example.

For Billericay lose, their players will have to completely not care.

And someone will have to get over 100 points. Is anyone of that level in our division. The teams that came down are rubbish and we are the big dawgs.

Billericay's team is far better on paper than Margate's. They had Ryan Moss for example.

And someone will have to get over 100 points. Is anyone of that level in our division. The teams that came down are rubbish and we are the big dawgs.
I dispute that Billericay's team is "far better" than Margate's was. Furthermore Margate had a manager in Terry Brown who had won this league with three other clubs as well as managing successfully at a higher level. Billericay will have the weakest manager in the league.

There comes a point, when you're the biggest spenders in the league, beyond which there's no real value in spending even more. If Billericay are spending "24K a week on wages I doubt anyone else will even be spending a third of that. They'll end up wasting money on players who aren't worth it, acquiring extra players they don't really need, or they'll have players selling themselves short by playing well below their natural level.

Totally agree with PP. I think having a manager with a degree of tactical nous is far more effective than assembling 18 or so individuals who are playing well below their levels for hideous sums of money. Unfortunately for Billericay they have a moronic ego-merchant picking their teams every week.

I'm not saying a bit of experience and know-how will be enough to beat them every time - alas sometimes I think you'll catch them on a day in red hot form and they'll steamroller you much as they did to us at home last season - but having that lack of tactical and managerial intelligence will definitely be an achilles heel. People like Jim Cooper, Mick Sullivan, Neil Cugley, Craig Edwards have been in this game for far longer than Tamplin has and they'll have a few cards up their sleeves, I'm sure.

The pre-match singing and deranged speeches are all very amusing when they're playing Tonbridge in the league cup final in April, but I'd like to see how effective that actually is when they're away to Lowestoft on a Tuesday night needing 3 points.

Bizarrely, I think the league is up for grabs this season. I can see the entire league uniting against this loathsome individual and doing everything they can to piss on his party. Every game v Billericay will be a bit of a cup final, I think - teams will raise their games just to show them up to be the bunch of arrogant mercenaries that they are.

Well you are both wrong. Not that we can't mount a serious title challenge if we are consistent.

But we will need to beat 100 points. Billericay have an assistant manager that will do tactics. They will be on a massive win / title bonus.

Billericay have already piled on the fans unlike clubs before due to their media profile and celebrity players.

They aren't going to play such route one football and they have players that are too good for this level even at 90 percent.

We will see.

Also Terry Brown had completely lost it at Margate and barely went up via the playoffs. He is now officially rubbish.

They also had a proper manager in Danny Cowley, who led Braintree to 3rd place in last year's Conference National and won it this year with Lincoln.

I can't see Billericay winning the league unless Tamplin appoints a serious manager and let's him get on with the job without interfering. If he leaves himself in charge they'll still wallop plenty of teams due to strength and quality of individual players, but managers with coaching pedigree and half-decent players will often outwit him and they'll come unstuck. They won't be consistent enough to win it and will be more likely to go up in the play-offs like Margate did.
Yeah, he's appointed Harry Wheeler from Welling as "joint first team manager" so I'm assuming he'll handle the tactical side of things and stuff like that. It would be nice to see him just bring someone experienced in who he trusts and for him to take a step back but it seems incredibly unlikely - he says anything above the Conference South is where he'd do that but it's hard to believe that would actually happen either to be honest.

Yeah, he's appointed Harry Wheeler from Welling as "joint first team manager" so I'm assuming he'll handle the tactical side of things and stuff like that. It would be nice to see him just bring someone experienced in who he trusts and for him to take a step back but it seems incredibly unlikely - he says anything above the Conference South is where he'd do that but it's hard to believe that would actually happen either to be honest.
He basically wants a low-profile "yes man", not someone who will be talked about more than himself.

Ironically he had a manager in Craig Edwards who had won this league with Billericay five years earlier with (presumably) a fraction of the new budget, but his meddling in playing affairs prompted Edwards to walk away.

Last edited:
Been a bit quiet on the Tamplin front but here he is showing his thin skin in response to a twitter grammar bot:

TBF he does have an impressive car collection!

Been a bit quiet on the Tamplin front but here he is showing his thin skin in response to a twitter grammar bot:

TBF he does have an impressive car collection!

I'd be disappointed if the Grammar Police didn't let him know he should have written "it would HAVE helped me", thought he was an eloquent chap

Back
Top Bottom