Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Are Billericay looking for an actual manager then? Tamplin being the boss at least counterbalanced the massive spending power.
He went on record recently saying he intends to stay in charge until they reach Conference South. (Which should mean indefinitely then.)

Regardless of how he spends his wealth, I'm literally bamboozled as to how these people become so affluent in the first place. Surely you must be either really clever or amazingly talented to afford a house worth £18m? (Not to mention all the other sums he lavishes on BTFC, his wedding etc.) Yet everything he says and does regarding BTFC makes him sound like a fictional television buffoon, with traits of Alan Partridge, David Brent and many more. They well and truly hammered us in the game at our place, but depite all the accomplished individuals in their team they played the most rudimentary kick and rush route one football I saw all season.

Tamplin got into the scrap metal business at just the right time. Demand for stuff like copper for example went through the roof in recent years thanks to demand for China in particular. The British scrap metal industry employs around 10,000 people and has an annual turnover of £5.6bn! Pretty lucrative . I make that half a million turnover per employee most of whom would be regarded as low skilled workers on minimum wages. The price of such metals is the reason people kept breaking into signal boxes to pinch the copper wiring and why that Barbara Hepworth sculpture disappeared from Dulwich Park. Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of this stuff has passed through the yards of Mr Tamplin in the intervening years after scrap is still very much a cash-in-hand no-questions-asked business.
Barbara Hepworth sculpture stolen from Dulwich Park - BBC News
Tracking down London's 'metal theft dealers' - BBC News

Tamplin got into the scrap metal business at just the right time. Demand for stuff like copper for example went through the roof in recent years thanks to demand for China in particular. The British scrap metal industry employs around 10,000 people and has an annual turnover of £5.6bn! Pretty lucrative . I make that half a million turnover per employee most of whom would be regarded as low skilled workers on minimum wages. The price of such metals is the reason people kept breaking into signal boxes to pinch the copper wiring and why that Barbara Hepworth sculpture disappeared from Dulwich Park. Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of this stuff has passed through the yards of Mr Tamplin in the intervening years after scrap is still very much a cash-in-hand no-questions-asked business.
Barbara Hepworth sculpture stolen from Dulwich Park - BBC News
Tracking down London's 'metal theft dealers' - BBC News

Is he in scrap metal though? I thought he was in steel structures - that's a very different business.

He went on record recently saying he intends to stay in charge until they reach Conference South. (Which should mean indefinitely then.)

Regardless of how he spends his wealth, I'm literally bamboozled as to how these people become so affluent in the first place. Surely you must be either really clever or amazingly talented to afford a house worth £18m? (Not to mention all the other sums he lavishes on BTFC, his wedding etc.) Yet everything he says and does regarding BTFC makes him sound like a fictional television buffoon, with traits of Alan Partridge, David Brent and many more. They well and truly hammered us in the game at our place, but depite all the accomplished individuals in their team they played the most rudimentary kick and rush route one football I saw all season.
No one here is suggesting any illegal business dealings, tax evasion or connections with organised crime! Are we a bit jealous? Have Dulwich been viewed by some other Ryman Prem teams as having resources they could only dream of?

No one here is suggesting any illegal business dealings, tax evasion or connections with organised crime! Are we a bit jealous? Have Dulwich been viewed by some other Ryman Prem teams as having resources they could only dream of?
There is a subtle difference in that any extra 'resources' have come off the back of Hamlet and their fans doing things to attract a wider audience, rather than waving an enormous wad of cash and promising to buy the league title by creating a wildly unfair competition.

To take your last point, we may have been viewed that way - erroneously - so far as I'm aware.

What other clubs may, and probably should, be envious of is the increase in attendances and the way the club has developed over the last seven or so years to become one of the most important community organisations in the area.

This has been hard worked for and hard won and, until the club is free to run itself as it, rather than any 'owner', sees fit, it must still be viewed as fragile progress and in need of nurture. In fact, it surely always will?

I'm sure that a significant part of any of the recent progress made is owed to Gavin and his team - by investing time and effort in young and local talent via Aspire but also by being resolute in having the ambition to try and play football the way it should be played (imo). Just look at our goal of the season this year - an unbelievable choice - and some great ones that had to be left out of the mix too. (Thanks also to Jamsz and Tom btw for even making it possible).

This club grows on you and makes you proud to be associated with it. That in itself is not unique in sport, or even in football, but it seems to be something that is increasingly harder to find. Long may it continue in our little corner of SE22.

To be honest, I'd find it very hard to keep on supporting Hamlet if a character like Tamplin charged on to the scene, boasting and bragging about how he was going to make the club huge and send the crowds soaring, purely by virtue of having so much more cash than everyone else.

It just makes a mockery of what supporting a non league club means to me.

I'm thinking EDC's angling for an invite to sit at that dining table.

And there are far too many Duncans associated with this club btw. It's not natural. I'm considering a name change.
Anything but Jack, we've been there already.

Reactions: YTC
In other news Bi££ericay have shifted around 500 season tickets up from around 35 in previous seasons so got to give them a little kudos for attracting new support. Be interesting to see the breakdown of that

Back
Top Bottom