Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

I did recieve an email from Jack Conrad from the Weekly Worker y arguing that our proposal( I think it was actually Jonny Favourite and Skaters Against the War) to set up as an external faction of PR and Revo might not be the correct course of revolutionary action

You fancy having another go? They’ll still print any old shite they get sent, so I reckon we could arrange for ‘Mitch’ to libel me, then we can split whatever I’m awarded after suing them.

You fancy having another go? They’ll still print any old shite they get sent, so I reckon we could arrange for ‘Mitch’ to libel me, then we can split whatever I’m awarded after suing them.
Being bored , also its too hot here today to be out and about, I had a glance at their last edition to see what they might have to say about covoid-19. First page was letters page and three lengthy responses on who formed the soviets in the Russia.

Particularly enjoyed this stinging denunciation in this week's letters page:

a supercilious contempt for serious criticism (May 7). That suggests a sectarian attitude rather than an obligation to engage with the subject

rich lockdown entertainment. I think it may be time for Mitch / Megson to have a good old ding dong around the phrases Bonapartist Indivdualism and Errors in Relation to the National Question. A haughty reference to a nineteenth century Russian novel- Oblomov, A Hero of Our Time or some such- would seal the deal...

But sorry to all football fans for the [/derail]

Particularly enjoyed this stinging denunciation in this week's letters page:

rich lockdown entertainment. I think it may be time for Mitch / Megson to have a good old ding dong around the phrases Bonapartist Indivdualism and Errors in Relation to the National Question. A haughty reference to a nineteenth century Russian novel- Oblomov, A Hero of Our Time or some such- would seal the deal...

But sorry to all football fans for the [/derail]
We might need to start a left newspaper type thread really. I'll give it some thought .Prob along the lines of Have I Got News for you Comrade.

We're hoping the season is cancelled because as things stand we would be promoted in third. It's absolutely shit for other clubs with a hope of reaching the playoffs though

The Premier League have announced results of 2nd round of coronavirus testing: 2 positive tests at two clubs from 996 players and staff. 6 positive from 748 in the first round.

Portuguese League returns next week June 3rd and games are free to watch in UK on Free Sports. La Liga commences June 8th and is free on Sky.

Premiere League starts June 17th with the two matches where the teams have a game in hand Villa v Shef Utd and Man City v Arsenal

I read somewhere that a) the ban on 3 o'clock games was being suspended b))that more or possibly all games would be showed c) and that this might open up the TV channels/platforms that show games. However there's been no announcement.

I read somewhere that a) the ban on 3 o'clock games was being suspended b))that more or possibly all games would be showed c) and that this might open up the TV channels/platforms that show games. However there's been no announcement.
Saw something in The Times yesterday about the pay channels (Sky & BT) not being happy about the BBC proposing to air some of the Premiership. :( I hope the BBC do air some of it at least.

Saw something in The Times yesterday about the pay channels (Sky & BT) not being happy about the BBC proposing to air some of the Premiership. :( I hope the BBC do air some of it at least.
I suppose it boils down to do the EPL want to sell the games that weren't in the deal and how that might be done.

All remaining 92 Premier League games to be shown live on Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon Prime or BBC Sport.

Friday: 8pm
Saturday: 12.30pm, 3pm, 5.30pm, 8pm
Sunday: 12pm, 2pm, 4.30pm, 7pm
Monday: 8pm
Tuesday: 6pm, 8pm
Wednesday: 6pm, 8pm
Thursday: 6pm, 8pm

The only thing I recall about an away match at Hartlepool in the middle of winter years ago, was how bone chillingly cold it was. Stood in a pretty sparse crowd with an easterly wind rattling through the stands.

Just to add to this...many many years ago, palace were towards the top of the old second division and drew hartlepool away in the cup. 'pool were all but bottom of the league. It was a hellva journey on the train and back. All I remember is it was cold, grey and muddy and we lost...thats football.

I am a Charlton fan and that is well shit.

I can understand it though, and it's crap that all players with contracts up have been left in limbo though all this.

Portuguese League starts tomorrow . Porto lead Benfica by one point in the table. Porto play Famalacao ( newly promoted club owned by the son of one of the major investors in Athletico Madrid and with a huge Jorge Mendes, the agent, influence), Wednesday Benfica play Tondela which will be a formality, and also on same night an interesting Sporting Guimaraes / Sporting Lisbon game.

Posted that in the Spuds thread ^ they spent a lot on that (very decent tbf) shiny stadium and no doubt thought revenue from other sport events and gigs etc would gradually recoup that.

Going to be ugly for a lot of teams. Reporting a bit vague on it but couple of people I read mentioning Man Utd carrying £500m of debt.

Transfers will be interesting

24/6 is the match that was thought Liverpool could win the title. Mixed blessings about it being on Sky.
its gonna be really weird though.

I have heard that Amazon are showing some of the remaining footie free to air. If I had to sign up for anything with Amazon I Could not do it. If it were click and play....its a very tough call, but would still sooner listen to it on my transistor.

Back
Top Bottom