Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

Portugal , at the moment the return of the main football league is scheduled for the end of May. The games must be played, in a first phase, behind closed doors. This plan is dependent on the evolution of the pandemic.

Message from a chap I know in event logistics. Can't vouch for it as it is a mate of a mate. Also heard this (Burton that is) being bandied about on some of the footy podcasts so not really news, just interesting to hear that people are preparing.

Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park (the football academy at Burton Upton Trent) behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Might be just someone blagging to him having heard the news but he is usually right.

"Right lads, we need you to come back to training so we can get matches going again. But it won't be proper training, so you'll go into those games completely undercooked and tactically unprepared. You'll also be far more likely to get injured because massages aren't allowed. There won't be any fans watching these games and you'll have to live in a hotel for 6 weeks and not see your family. Oh, and you may get seriously ill and/or die."

Message from a chap I know in event logistics. Can't vouch for it as it is a mate of a mate. Also heard this (Burton that is) being bandied about on some of the footy podcasts so not really news, just interesting to hear that people are preparing.

Might be just someone blagging to him having heard the news but he is usually right.
Theres definitely proposals for games to be played at neutral grounds .

Players out of the competitive game at this level will take weeks or more to get back to fitness and form.

That is a small aside from the bigger issues but worth noting.

I like the idea of a sealed off Premier league football island with them all living in tents. Maybe they have to hunt their own food as well. And throw in a sandcastle competition. Be a ratings smash for sure.

The EPL could be entering a stand off , if it ever restarts. Reports that teams would be more likely to finish the season on neutral grounds if there is no relegation get a firm no from TV broadcasters who say removing relegation would be a breach of televised rights contracts.

Gordon Taylor has just raised the possibility of Premier League matches being less than 90 minutes when football returns.

Just checked in on the situation in Germany and the government has today given the green light for the Bundesliga to restart under the proposed safety measures, and as before, initially it's given me a jolt of excitement. Date still tbc, weekend 16/17 May or the weekend after being proposed.

Reading further, a first round of testing of players and staff (physios etc) has been completed, and 10 positive cases been discovered, many of them asymptomatic, confirming some people's opinion that this is too risky, and others' that the system is working - i.e. the cases were discovered and persons involved now in isolation.
A player for Hertha Berlin has apparently posted a FB live video of himself, driving in his car with a mate to the training ground, greeting staff with handshakes, ignoring the distance rules and generally being perceived to take the piss out of the situation. Video has since been deleted, and player suspended, but of course this has given cause for further concern about players (not) adhering to the rules and the effects setting such poor examples might have.

Korean on Youtube and Twitter

Saturday 16 May

Augsburg v Wolfsburg

Borussia Dortmund v Schalke

Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Monchengladbach

Fortuna Dusseldorf v Paderborn

Hoffenheim v Hertha Berlin

RB Leipzig v Freiburg

Sunday 17 May

Cologne v Mainz

Union Berlin v Bayern Munich

Monday 18 May

Werder Bremen v Bayer Leverkusen

Faroe Islands league kicks off too tomorrow. Not sure if these will be televised, the article doesnt give much away.
Most betting sites show some obscure games from all over the world if you have a live account with them.

yup my mistake, must have been eagerness

Heh, yes, I thought I'd get my clarification in quickly to avoid disappointment tomorrow! Wonder if I'll be able to watch it somehow, I'm not really doing inofficial streaming. Might have to be the radio. I do love a bit of "Schlusskonferenz" (the bit at the end of the radio reporting when they switch excitedly from ground to ground).

Heh, yes, I thought I'd get my clarification in quickly to avoid disappointment tomorrow! Wonder if I'll be able to watch it somehow, I'm not really doing inofficial streaming. Might have to be the radio. I do love a bit of "Schlusskonferenz" (the bit at the end of the radio reporting when they switch excitedly from ground to ground).
You in Germany Zora? I have watched matches on Sky Bundisligai n a German bar here. and on a bent Dazn account with a VPN as well. Are there no pplans to either stream some games free or on terrestial?

Countries that have football returning as part of a programme of reducing restrictions due to corona virus are going to have some issues to consider with live football especially with compliance to social distancing. If its subscription only then loads of people will be tempted to go round to someone's house or flat to watch it with mates or even people inviting large numbers round to watch in the garden. Bars and pubs that open and show it if its pay by view or contract will have social distancing and occupancy restrictions that are going to be very hard to police both inside and outside on their premises and possibly on the street if its visible. If its free to air or at least some fixtures are and not just the crap ones the social distancing issues might be a little easier to manage.

Back
Top Bottom