Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Football and coronavirus

National League season ended. I think this is going to be the reality starting to face the lower Football League clubs soon as well. The crunch will come when players' contracts start to expire and clubs won't have the resources to extend them. You can't realistically finish a season when clubs don't have teams to put out. Not such an issue at Premier League level where most players are on longer contracts but it will start that pressure building.

I'm a bit confused by what this means for the National League - does this mean that Barrow get promoted for example? Or not?

Interesting discussion in Germany about re-starting Bundesliga football "behind closed doors", possibly from as soon as 9 May. I must admit, only a couple of days ago, it gave me a real jolt of excitement, and I thought 'wouldn't it be brilliant to watch top tier live football on TV and drink a cold beer', but I have felt somewhat chastened by following the debate around it.
The arguments run in the main as follows:
Pro: Football players should be allowed to do their job just like any other profession provided that they can show a good hygiene/infection control protocol. Apparently, the Bundesliga has put together just such a concept, which is currently being scrutinized.
Also pro: The economic argument; the loss of revenue from TV threatening clubs' future.
Con: The infection control plan rests heavily on testing of the players, with an estimated 20000-30000 tests needed until the end of the season (iirc, don't quote me on that). Of course, there are concerns despite Germany's good testing capacity that these tests could be needed in other, more essential services. Also, social distancing is of course not possible for players during the match (hence the proposed testing). The social cohesion argument - How can we ask teenagers with a huge need for exercise and mucking about with their mates to refrain from this, but have professional football players doing just that (mind you, I am not 100% convinced by that- there might be some of these teenagers who would rather have football on telly while they themselves can't do it than not, but I don't know). Also, more pertinently to my mind, how can we spend resources - planning, testing, PPE, possibly even crowd control should people decide to flock to the stadium or onto the streets anyway - during this incredibly trying time, and should it not be absolute priority to help the most vulnerable and needful groups gain additional support or freedoms rather than put this into supporting an already bloated and overprivileged sector.

More in a Guardian article here.

Yeah, I'd quite like to be able to watch some football but I don't see how you can prioritise it at the expense of any number of other more important things. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of attempt to get games going here fairly soon, then rapidly followed by a huge kickback and climbdown when the 'one rule for us...' nature of it becomes obvious.

There's a meeting in Portugal this afternoon to discuss the remainder of their season.
Its a brief meeting at six with the PM, following a meeting with Olympic officials. The decision to resume has to include agreement with the NHS Public Health officials. The league has come up with propsals :

In a draft on the gradual resumption of competition prepared by the Portuguese Professional Football League (LPFP), it is stated that the return of the 1st and 2nd leagues will always be “dependent on the indications of the official bodies”, also providing a set of rules that the clubs must comply with, such as the sanitation of “all spaces” and the availability of disinfectant in the changing rooms.

As for game security, the document foresees that public and private security personnel in the technical area will be “in small numbers”, maintaining social distance and mandatory use of masks or visors.

During the games, the presidential stands should have a maximum number of five people, “with social distancing and the use of protective equipment, including masks, gloves and disinfectants”.

According to a draft for the progressive resumption of competition, prepared by the Portuguese Professional Football League (LPFP), to which the Lusa agency had access, the return of the I and II League will always be “dependent on the indications of the official entities”, but foresees the mandatory testing before the first day after the interruption of competitions.

These tests will be carried out on “all elements of the game sheet and players not called”, as well as other additional elements if the Sports Societies so choose.

In addition, there must be a guarantee that “all clubs performed and received the tests between the 48 hours and up to the 24 hours prior to the game” and the “authorization of all those tested to send the analysis result to the League, for data processing purposes ”, can be read.

The document also foresees the "constitution of an independent commission to analyze the data sent by the laboratories" and that before each game "the doctor makes a certificate of aptitude of the elements (players and staff) for the purpose of accreditation".

Also, to resume “collective training”, mandatory tests to covid-19 are foreseen for “players and technical staff”.

The control will be carried out by the medical departments of the teams, who "make a certificate of physical fitness of the players before the first official collective training".

The League's outline for the return to competition also provides that if a player who tests positive for covid-19 must be isolated and the other players and nearby staff tested.

The return of a player who has tested positive only happen "after getting two negative tests in a period exceeding 24 hours," and that "the teams medical departments perform a certificate of fitness of the players after information."

As for the cases negative, immunity tests to covid-19 are scheduled, making these players “apt for accreditation and play”.

As for the official matches, the teams will be able to enter the field as long as they have a minimum number of seven players, one of them goalkeepers, and the covid-19 is “equated with another type of injury”.

The document also states that there will be no “exceptions to the gambling laws”.

With the medical departments of each club having the responsibility to certify the physical fitness of the players before each game, they should also develop training with “players and staff” and “with all cleaning teams and everyone who has technical zone intervention ”.

The draft developed by the League also warns of “themes that need articulation”, such as the “reopening of the airspace of the islands without quarantine” or the “guarantee of sanitation to the spas on the day before the game, leaving the spas sealed to be opened when the arrival of the teams ”.

The Portuguese Football League wants clubs guarantee hygiene in stages after the resumption of competitions and that the Portuguese Football Association (FPF) shall be responsible for testing for covid-19 in the refereeing teams.

Regarding the measures for the arbitration teams, the League foresees that it is the FPF to “indicate the entity responsible for certifying that they are tested and negative”.

The refereeing teams must check the pitch with the League delegate, maintaining the mandatory social distance and must promote the alignment of the teams before the game “without the usual greeting”, it can be read.

The observer to the referee must meet with the arbitration team, if necessary through videoconference, and access to the technical zone can only happen if the “FPF guarantees that the observers are tested negative”.

The outline for the resumption of the competitions foresees that the usual meeting of organization of game does not take place, leaving the delegate of the League “to speak individually with all the participants in the usual meeting”.

League delegates must arrive at the stadium three hours before departure, “wearing a mask” and maintaining their social distance, with the responsibility of “checking the conformity of spaces”, ensuring that “access to the technical area is made only by people indispensable to the organization of the game ”or that“ the game balls are sanitized ”.

As for the security of the game, the document foresees that the number of public security and private security to circulate in the technical zone is “in small numbers”, maintaining social distance and mandatory use of a mask / visor.

During the games, the presidential tribunes must have a maximum number of five elements, "with social distance and use of protective equipment, namely masks, gloves and disinfectants".

Also, the ball catchers must be equipped with a mask and keep a minimum distance between themselves, and must disinfect their hands before, at the break and at the end of the game. The balls that leave the stadium can only be used after being disinfected.

As for the rules for social communication, the League draft provides for a maximum of 20 photojournalists on the pitch, five in each corner of the playing field.

The press stands, on the other hand, will be reduced to one third of the current capacity, and “all routes of members of the Social Communication Organs (OCS) must be independent of the route of the sports agents and never pass through the technical zone”.

The League also expects to keep the 'superflash' and 'flash interview', but not the mixed zones.

Press conferences at the end of the challenge can be held as long as the conditions of hygiene and safety for the sports agent are guaranteed, being allowed to be carried out through digital means.

The document, which needs approval, foresees rules to be adopted in the internships, which must have “the shortest possible duration, advising the teams to travel on the day of the meeting.

Sports Societies must also “indicate to the League the usual hotels to request a disinfection certificate according to the rules of the Directorate-General for Health (DGS)”.

For bus travel, each company must “ask the supplier for a disinfection certificate according to DGS rules”.

“All trips must be carried out within the rules of safety, namely, with the use of a mask, gel and maintenance of the safety distance”, it can be read, also referring to possible airplane trips.

If the EFL is unable to finish the season then the relegation places might be limited eg to one to the National League.

National League: Number of promotion places 'could be changed'
I think the article is suggesting that no club would be relegated to the national league - Bury went out of business, so only one is getting relegated anyway. They're suggesting having no relegation and only one club promoted from the National League.

FIFA Medical Committee chairman Michel D'Hooghe does not believe football should return until September 1 at the earliest.

FIFA Medical Committee chairman Michel D'Hooghe does not believe football should return until September 1 at the earliest.
It's going to look embarassing if FIFA ignore his advice but I think the present position is that national leagues come to their own decision as to how their leagues are decided

Something that I'd not really thought of before, is that if the whole thing goes like it seems at the moment, it might be the case in the medium term that societies end up with a careful balancing act trying to keep infection rates at a manageable rate whilst relaxing some restrictions, and then different activities effectively end up in competition for that freedom. Because unless you can eliminate the risk entirely (which you can't) any relaxation feeds into that overall rate. So beyond the immediate competition for tests or whatever, you could end up with a choice between allowing matches and, say, letting people sit on park benches. Probably not put in those terms but in effect.

Last edited:
Very difficult decisions to be made. Personally I'd like to see the 2019-20 season settled but I dont care when. Why cant they just restart it next September or even next year. Yes theres contracts, sponsors etc but all involved will all have to be flexible.
We cant be putting anymore people at risk, our govt are doing a good enough job of that. At the same time what a lift it would be for many many people for football to restart, and at the same time would it give folk the false impression that social distancing etc are over. Tough decisions.

Portuguese PM will announce tomorrow about the future of the league for this year. Personally I think it’s over and the league will be left with the difficult decision on how to work out the placings .

Portuguese PM will announce tomorrow about the future of the league for this year. Personally I think it’s over and the league will be left with the difficult decision on how to work out the placings .
looks to close to call the title, but the euro and relegation spots look clear enough. Though probably not enough for a court case.

looks to close to call the title, but the euro and relegation spots look clear enough. Though probably not enough for a court case.
Its possible that there might be a play off for the title according to speculation in the newspapers . Both Lisbon and Porto have suffered the worst of the virus so if theres a play off it might be at the Algarve Stadium.

Given UEFA/FIFA’s disapproval of government interference in football, they might not be able to play in European competitions if the prime minister decides what happens to the league and FIFA impose sanctions. In the current scenario, I’m not sure they would follow their normal rules, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Given UEFA/FIFA’s disapproval of government interference in football, they might not be able to play in European competitions if the prime minister decides what happens to the league and FIFA impose sanctions. In the current scenario, I’m not sure they would follow their normal rules, but I wouldn’t put it past them.
Uefa's curent position (their original stance was harder) is that leagues make their own decisions about how they complete the season. Holland, Belgium and France have effectivly cancelled any future games and have or will decide places. No league is going to play on if their government says no.

Uefa's curent position (their original stance was harder) is that leagues make their own decisions about how they complete the season. Holland, Belgium and France have effectivly cancelled any future games and have or will decide places. No league is going to play on if their government says no.
The league cannot play if the government won’t let them but this is different from the government saying that the league is cancelled. UEFA would expect an FA to make the decision.

The league cannot play if the government won’t let them but this is different from the government saying that the league is cancelled. UEFA would expect an FA to make the decision.
None has said anything yet Perhaps I could have put it in different terms but the position is if the govt says there is to be no games played whether with crowds or behind closed doors then the League will meet , decide in the light of this how to end the season playing no further games and announce it to Uefa.

Having said all that there is now a rumour that Portuguese football will commence at the end of May. The source is the one MP from the populist right wing group Chega . Due to the bizarre transferable vote system Chega got one seat via Lisbon despite only getting just over 1% nationally.

The LFP have decided to officially crown PSG champions of Ligue 1 in 2019/20 with the division’s fixed rankings to be taken as final.

Back
Top Bottom