Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foodbanks

And what's your point regarding Sikhs though? The concept of langur is great IMO, free food for all ftw. But does it resolve the policies any more than a foodbank? Not at all.

Are you suggesting if we lived in a Sikh country we would have policies which protected those in poverty as opposed to shitting on them?

Religion is the single most powerful predictor (among eight factors) of an individual’s likelihood to say that they would never vote Conservative, with 44% of those with no faith rejecting the possibility of supporting the Tories, compared with 35% of Muslims, 32% of Christians, 26% of Sikhs, and 19% of Hindus. Just 15% overall stated that they would never vote Labour, including 7% of Muslims, 6% of Hindus, and 5% of Sikhs.

http://www.brin.ac.uk/news/2012/anti-conservative-vote/

All the while the so-called Xian community is so uncaring that they are happy to let their neighbours starve.

I heard they drink blood in their weird rituals too.

On topic, should I take it that food banks are unworthy recipients of my old tins etc? Should they carry on going to the night shelter instead?

I heard they drink blood in their weird rituals too.

On topic, should I take it that food banks are unworthy recipients of my old tins etc? Should they carry on going to the night shelter instead?
Just make sure that the recipients are making adequate distinction between the needy and the greedy.

...something community based (though I guess you could do workplace ones too in theory).

That is open to all, regardless. Take away the charity aspect.

Perhaps linked to community allotments or something too where possible.

Encourage bring food too. Pot luck community breakfast.

A good meal for all who need/want one, building developing community solidarity etc.

Fuck it, people closed off streets for the jubilee and did community street parties with food, it can be done.

A friend of mine started a "free kitchen/restaurant" open to all. They fund it by the more well off customers slipping money into white envelopes and putting it in a basket. Anyone not able to pay doesn't have to do that or they can just drop a note in the envelope if they want. I think the kitchen staff enjoy the notes more than the cash and no one is shamed because they can't pay.

A friend of mine started a "soup kitchen" open to all. They fund it by the more well off customers slipping money into white envelopes and putting it in the basket. Anyone not able to pay doesn't have to do that or they can just drop a note in the envelope if they want. I think the kitchen staff enjoy the notes more than the cash and no one is shamed because they can't pay.

In town, they have a soup kitchen every Wednesday. $2 for soup, sandwich, drink and desert.

It was a nice mix of people. One of the local schools would bring their students, and the adults were a mix of working and unemployed. When I was working in town, I'd go and pay $5 for my lunch. I know the ladies at the door don't charge some people, and my little bit extra is helping to keep the soup kitchen going.

http://aethelreadtheunread.wordpres...the-bbc-how-not-to-eat-healthily-for-1-a-day/
At least more and more people aren't falling for the government's propaganda on poverty any more. This blog post sums up probably a large amount of people's thoughts on the BBC £1 a day thing, although most people didn't have the time to do the math.

That BBC article is so fucking despicable it's hard to think. What on earth motivates people like Brian Milligan to attempt such fucked up reasoning? Seriously, what's the psychology behind it? It makes no sense to me.

This talk of Christians - The government are Christians in name only, the policies they're enacting have no bearing on what work individual churches do within their communities. I've seen individual priests and vicars provide food parcels as a matter of course, money on occasion, and go to bat for their parishioners against social services/DWP etc. And let people use their phones to ring 0845 numbers and that. And church foodbanks don't demand that people are referred by whoever - Basically, if you rock up there, they'll give you sumat. I'm no god botherer, far from it, but to say the christian church does nothing for the uk poor is bollox.

Mind you, my mam went to donate a load of scran to a food bank - The woman working there thought my mam was after a food parcel and properly barked at her "Where's your ticket? You haven't got a ticket, you can't have anything." Nasty piece of shit. Didn't apologise either. My ma still donated the food though.

...something community based (though I guess you could do workplace ones too in theory).

That is open to all, regardless. Take away the charity aspect.

Perhaps linked to community allotments or something too where possible.
Encourage bring food too. Pot luck community breakfast.

A good meal for all who need/want one, building developing community solidarity etc.

Fuck it, people closed off streets for the jubilee and did community street parties with food, it can be done.

We have Living Under One Sun in Tottenham, doing much of what you just listed. Community allotments, sharing the crops, learning to cook, even holding a couple of festivals a year.

http://livingunder1sun.blogspot.co.uk/

Christians definitely seem to have cornered the market in food banks.

There seem to be two main organisations running food banks near me - Trussel Trust that operates on a voucher system and you can only go once in 3 months, and the Matthew Tree project which I don't know so much about.

Matthew Tree seem to let people choose what food they want rather than providing parcels, but I'm not sure if people can refer themselves.

I think most are Trussel (?) Trust ones and you need a voucher from the DSS or police or GP? I think there are some other ones where they have different criteria which may be more or less prescriptive.
Yes. I found church one near me through the Trussell Trust website.
Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. Foodbanks partner with a wide range of care professionals who are best placed to assess need and make sure that it is genuine.

Yes. I found church one near me through the Trussell Trust website.

''make sure it is genuine''

How depressing. Heave forfend someone who is not hungry enough should turn up on spec.

And you can only go to a Trussel trust once in 3 months? For all that foodbank attendance has trebled or whatever there is more demand than supply by the sounds of things.

Tressell is part funded by the DWP and has senior Tories on its board, though tbf, its CEO does speak out on poverty issues.

I've not seen Tressel Trust vouchers issued to CAB people. I will ask from a contact in social work.

It also creates a burden of guilt and responsibility on other ordinary shoppers. So a random example from Glasgow.

If you can spare two hours or more on 25th February why not come along and be part of the Foodbank team collecting food donations at the ASDA superstore. No special skills required!
'Shopping lists' are handed to shoppers as they go into the store and they are asked to buy one item from the list. As they leave the store they drop that item off at our table, where the food is packed and sent off to our storage depot.

The supermarket collection at the ASDA superstore in Toryglen on 25th February was a great success, with over 600 kilos of food donated by the public.
A big Foodbank team from Glasgow Elim was there throughout the day, handing out shopping lists, collecting food, loading the van and chatting to shoppers.
There were many heartwarming stories:
Of the man who went in to buy a newspaper, and bought a whole bag of groceries for Foodbank; Of the woman who came out of ASDA with a shopping trolley loaded with food. She took her own bag of shopping out the trolley and left the rest with us!
It was touching to see the generosity of so many people who wanted to give, and the Foodbank collection had given them the opportunity to do just that.
We were blessed to have the full co-operation of ASDA for the whole day, and we really appreciate the help of Elizabeth Arbuckle, ASDA's Community Co-ordinator, in setting the day up.

AFAIK Toryglen is not a well-off area, it has a large estate with people on average, tight incomes yet w/c consumers at its Asda are being asked to take up the burden, not Asda itself.

What is Asda doing with its £857million+ annual profits - rising in spite of recession - (that would be £245+ p.a. per child in fact £4.75 a week for every kid, if shared out equally among Britain's 3.5 million children in poverty, most of whom are ineligible for Food Bank because someone in the family is working)? It is expanding into the Middle East - Dubai, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan and Qatar.

The Food Bank angle is great for ASDA because it can trumpet it as charity and social responsibility, and because it's a physical thing (feels like no 'waste' or bureaucracy) and people know how essential food is, and the stuff is low or mid-range products, people are usually generous - hence sales and more profits for ASDA.

I don't believe Tressell Trust has anything to do with combating poverty - it uses all volunteers (no pay) apart from one or a few depending on size managers who control things at that Bank. They receive wages naturally and can control people under them, as can be expected.

Back
Top Bottom