Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foodbanks

Suppressed report: welfare reform link to homelessness and food bank use
A Tory council has withdrawn its own official report linking welfare cuts to a range of social problems from food poverty to violent crime.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...welfare-reform-link-to-foodbanks-homelessness

This shows the evidence is piling up as to the baleful consequences of benefit cuts/sanctions, but its only the liberal media who seem to be reporting it. Why not ring/email this council and ask them about the report.

Anyone remember the Black Report? which the Tories suppressed/ignored in the 80's.

There are quite a few in Sheffield, here are some addresses. Another here.

While it's good to donate to food banks, it's worth remembering the fact that people in the Trussel Trust (often linked to the Tories or Labour Party) are making a profit off of people's misery and the good will of others. Lots of food banks are politically dodgy too, right-wing Evangelicals in some food banks give religious propaganda in parcels of food.

I completely agree but what more can *they* do?

I listen to my local radion station phone in's with Toby Foster, a lot of them are now about benefits, etc(going more like Kyle every day) and I was shocked to hear comments by volunteers in the food banks, I had thought they were sound, but they were very judgemental and the very least, condescending, food banks aren't a long term solution, decent jobs and a restructured social security system are.

I listen to my local radion station phone in's with Toby Foster, a lot of them are now about benefits, etc(going more like Kyle every day) and I was shocked to hear comments by volunteers in the food banks, I had thought they were sound, but they were very judgemental and the very least, condescending, food banks aren't a long term solution, decent jobs and a restructured social security system are.

I don't know how common this is across the country but my friend who works in a CAB in Rutland has said that on more than a few occasions people referred to food banks have come to her and told her how hostile she found the atmosphere when they collected food. Oh, and religious pamphlets with food.

I don't know how common this is across the country but my friend who works in a CAB in Rutland has said that on more than a few occasions people referred to food banks have come to her and told her how hostile she found the atmosphere when they collected food. Oh, and religious pamphlets with food.

I've mentioned this before but my mam went to the foodbank (a tressel one) near where she lives with a bag of shopping to donate. And the woman running it aggressively asked her "Where's your referral? You can't have anything without a ticket". Thinking she'd come for some food. And made her feel like crap. When all she was trying to do was make a donation. If that's any measure of how they treat people, then jesus.

It really depends on the food bank. I used to go to one in Edinburgh that was run by a church and they were really nice, not at all judgemental and they didn't push the religion thing at all (they did try and get people to come and play badminton with them on a Sunday though).

We are collecting stuff at work for a local food bank, I took in two large carrier bags full yesterday, I went to ASDA and spent about £30.00, and added half a dozen 100g tins of Millicano from my voluminous stocks.

I think that it is absolutely damnable, that in the 4th or 5th richest country in the world, people are forced to 'beg' for food to feed themselves and their families.

No, I don't support either the current government or the Conservative party, but I don't think that a change of government next time round, will change anything. NL have their tongues as far up the arse of big business as the current lot do.

I look at the probable future of this country with increasing despair.

My mum's church is involved with setting up a Trussel Trust foodbank in my town. I wasn't aware of the Trussel Trust until I read about it on here as all the foodbanks I've ever used were independent, but it does all sound a bit dodgy and shit. I was just wondering, what are the advantages of starting up a foodbank with the Trussel Trust? C&Ping from their website, they apparently provide:
  • full training
  • an operating manual
  • ongoing support from national staff team and a regional development officer
  • template website tailored to your foodbank with your own content management system
  • branding materials including leaflets, banners etc
  • PR advice and template press releases as well as opportunities to talk to national press
  • an online forum
  • an online stock control system
  • annual audits and quality assurance process
  • corporate relationships - discounts and services e.g. Trussell Trust foodbanks are able to hold supermarket collections in local Tesco stores and receive a 'top-up' of 30% on what is donated
  • national and regional conferences
  • access to the foodbank network’s shared ideas and experience.
How much of that stuff is really necessary? Would it be fairly straightforward for a few local churches (or any other people/organisations) to get together and work something out themselves or am I just hopelessly naïve and it's actually a lot more complicated than that? I was going to ask the people organising it but I've been banned in case I get ranty at people my mum knows :D

The Trussell Trust is probably worth scrutiny. There are a number of, shall we say, worrying aspects.

The Trussell Trust describes itself as “a Christian charity that does not affiliate itself with any political party”. At the time this article was published, its chairman was Conservative Party councillor and Mayor of Worthing, Neil Atkins. The current chairman, Chris Mould, a member of the Labour Party, splits his time between the Trussell Trust and the Shaftesbury Partnership.

According to its website the Shaftesbury Partnership is a “social business” and a “practice of professionals committed to large scale 21st Century social reform.”

Immediately the word “reform” caught my eye; it pops up in so much government rhetoric.

Co-founder of the Shaftesbury Partnership was Nat Wei, a former McKinsey consultant experienced in both venture philanthropy and venture capital who was appointed the Government’s Chief Adviser on Big Society in May 2010 and made a life peer. <snip>
and
Like three of the Shaftesbury Partnership key people, two of the Challenge Network’s co-founders are McKinsey men. My head was now swimming with Tory party chums.

I took myself back to the simple announcement of job centre staff giving out food vouchers. I wrote to my MP, Brian Donohoe the next day, and asked him to write to the minister in charge of the Department of Work and Pensions to find out more about this voucher for food parcels pilot scheme.

In February the minister, Steve Webb, wrote back. “These vouchers were only intended for those refused crisis loans or waiting on a benefit payment to be made,” he said.

But “crisis loans”, I learned, are small interest-free loans made by the DWP from the social fund to people in financial crisis due to unforeseen circumstances such as deaths, flooding, a child in hospital. They’re used to buy food and/or credits for gas and electric pre-payment metres in winter when social security benefits are unlikely to cover the weekly winter pre-payments required.

While researching crisis loans I stumbled across a coalition government consultation paper issued in February 2011 stating the government’s intention to abolish the social fund, and instead give the money, un-ring-fenced, to English Councils who could refer people to community schemes (citing the Trussell Trust Food Parcel Service) rather than giving people crisis loans.

I had come a full circle. Hadn’t the minister told me that only those refused crisis loans would be given vouchers for food parcels? And here was the government proposing to abolish the social fund. . .in which case wouldn’t everyone who currently qualifies for a crisis loan get just a voucher for a food parcel in future? How many people would this affect?

In March I wrote again asking my MP to ask Steve Webb how many crisis loans were given out in England in 2010/2011. The minister’s stated in reply, dated 26th of March, that “2,697,000” were given out. I was in absolute shock. The government was advising councils not to give crisis loans, as the DWP currently do, but instead to send perhaps 2.6 million families, each year, to their friends at the Trussell Trust with vouchers for a 3 day family food parcel containing no fresh meat, no fresh milk, no fresh bread or vegetables
http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin...ts-tory-party-chums-and-food-parcels-for-poor[/url]

Last edited:
My mum's church is involved with setting up a Trussel Trust foodbank in my town. I wasn't aware of the Trussel Trust until I read about it on here as all the foodbanks I've ever used were independent, but it does all sound a bit dodgy and shit. I was just wondering, what are the advantages of starting up a foodbank with the Trussel Trust? C&Ping from their website, they apparently provide:
  • full training
  • an operating manual
  • ongoing support from national staff team and a regional development officer
  • template website tailored to your foodbank with your own content management system
  • branding materials including leaflets, banners etc
  • PR advice and template press releases as well as opportunities to talk to national press
  • an online forum
  • an online stock control system
  • annual audits and quality assurance process
  • corporate relationships - discounts and services e.g. Trussell Trust foodbanks are able to hold supermarket collections in local Tesco stores and receive a 'top-up' of 30% on what is donated
  • national and regional conferences
  • access to the foodbank network’s shared ideas and experience.
How much of that stuff is really necessary? Would it be fairly straightforward for a few local churches (or any other people/organisations) to get together and work something out themselves or am I just hopelessly naïve and it's actually a lot more complicated than that? I was going to ask the people organising it but I've been banned in case I get ranty at people my mum knows :D

It sounds like a entrepreneurial social enterprise, creating niche for itself, Nat Wei would fit in with all that.

Well, remember Lord Freud, Steve Hilton, his wife and her awful mother, all those slimy creeps from McKinseys setting up US-style trusts and foundations to undermine the NHS, Nat Wei et al work in the context of what you might call 'think tank' neoliberalism.

The welfare minister, Lord Freud, has been accused of "rowing away from the principle of welfare" after he urged local authorities to invest money in food banks, saying that it was "absolutely appropriate" thatcharities provided free food parcels for people who could not afford groceries.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/13/welfare-minister-local-councils-food-banks

To me it seems increasingly likely that just as outfits like the Kings Fund are part of the transition plan for getting rid of universal free healthcare, outfits like the Shaftsbury Partnership and the Trussell Trust are part of the transition plan for getting rid of the welfare state.

Last edited:
The Trussell Trust is probably worth scrutiny. There are a number of, shall we say, worrying aspects.

and
http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin...ts-tory-party-chums-and-food-parcels-for-poor[/url]
Steve Webb is a cunt of the highest order. He doesn't give a shit about the poor. His attitude, as one of the architects of the Bedroom Tax was to dismiss people by saying 'oh they can just find a few extra hours a week work to cover it'.

The quality of food parcels from the TT is deeply troubling. Whether theirs is normal for the 'industry' I don't know, but it raises some serious questions:

Do they not receive donations of things like fresh veg which they could be giving out? If not why?

What about people with dietary requirements/allergies etc? Is it just tough shit?

Steve Webb is a cunt of the highest order. He doesn't give a shit about the poor. His attitude, as one of the architects of the Bedroom Tax was to dismiss people by saying 'oh they can just find a few extra hours a week work to cover it'.

The quality of food parcels from the TT is deeply troubling. Whether theirs is normal for the 'industry' I don't know, but it raises some serious questions:

Do they not receive donations of things like fresh veg which they could be giving out? If not why?

What about people with dietary requirements/allergies etc? Is it just tough shit?

What, you think the sort of low-life who use foodbanks deserve luxuries like *gasp* FRESH fruit and veg?! Nah, they can have a manky tin of tatties and be bloody grateful :rolleyes: And people with allergies etc. should probably just pull themselves together and deal with it, same as people on ESA etc. should just stop complaining and get a job.

Trussell trust isn't even the worst - I used to go to a foodbank that was really good for stuff like fresh fruit & veg, fresh milk, real meat if you had somewhere to store it. Then the referral process changed because the local homeless centre was sending too many people and they started their own food bank in house and it was fucking horrendous, one week I got given a stale bread roll, four potatoes and a load of packets to make chicken chasseur sauce. Fuck knows what I was meant to do with that, didn't even have the milk to make the sauce, never mind the chicken :mad:

What, you think the sort of low-life who use foodbanks deserve luxuries like *gasp* FRESH fruit and veg?! Nah, they can have a manky tin of tatties and be bloody grateful :rolleyes: And people with allergies etc. should probably just pull themselves together and deal with it, same as people on ESA etc. should just stop complaining and get a job.

Trussell trust isn't even the worst - I used to go to a foodbank that was really good for stuff like fresh fruit & veg, fresh milk, real meat if you had somewhere to store it. Then the referral process changed because the local homeless centre was sending too many people and they started their own food bank in house and it was fucking horrendous, one week I got given a stale bread roll, four potatoes and a load of packets to make chicken chasseur sauce. Fuck knows what I was meant to do with that, didn't even have the milk to make the sauce, never mind the chicken :mad:

And you can bet the response if you complained.

We get a fair bit of fresh fruit and veg donated to our foodbank, often from local allotment projects and veg box schemes and so on. Trouble is we'll often get a glut of one thing which we won't be able to give away in time. Last week it was hundreds of cauliflowers, enough for every foodbank user to take as many as they could carry (which is not that many if you need to get other stuff as well) with boxes and boxes left over. We probably should've taken them to some other foodbank but we just gave them out round the neighbourhood instead.

It's surprisingly difficult to walk around giving away cauliflowers. People are often very suspicious of free stuff :(

Like the tories care.

They don't experience poverty, so it doesn't exist.

Oh, they care.

Insofar as it affects their voter numbers in their more marginal constituencies, they care a great deal (or at least the individual MPs do). Unfortunately for all, the leadership of the Conservative Party are determined to carry out their ideological project, whatever the cost.

I said a couple of years back on another thread, that as soon as the Tories realised they were heading for either opposition or another coalition, they'd go all out with all kinds of fruitbat policies. I'm saddened to have been proven right. :(

A few years ago i had to use soupkitchens fairly regularly. remember being astounded when one of the volunteers for one of the soupkitchens, started saying, with other volunteers nodding in agreeance that "there was no such thing as poverty in the uk" and that the notion that poverty was "merely a state of mind" that could presumably be replaced with another state of mind by the one experiencing it. Was too astounded really to articulate any strong arguments in response to that, plus i was also totally not prepared to expect that kinda shit from someone working with the kinda service users this person was used to dealing with. I mean, the proposition that poverty exists in the uk was pretty self evident in that setting. But then again, if we are going to have 19th century self-help responses to social provision, then i guess it follows that 19th century attitudes will be circulating a lot likewise.

It sounds like a entrepreneurial social enterprise, creating niche for itself, Nat Wei would fit in with all that.

exactly. the development support is kinda a giveaway on that, meaning the difference between people organising themselves to do a foodbank, or with their support will make the difference in the size of funding apps that they can do for themselves as an organisation.

Didn't know who this Nat Wei dude was so checked his webpage:

This jumped out at me:

As a long-time social entrepreneur with a love of starting things up, I became very interested in the Victorian social reformers such as the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury and the Quakers who went on to build so many of our great British firms and funded abolition and many social reforms in years past. My desire is to help foster a revival of social reform activity in my lifetime, harnessing the skills and resources that business people and entrepreneurs can bring.
(underline mine)

Seems that the market can solve everything - even that which comes as part of living in a market society it seems. its just about finding the right niche market to invest ones funds in. I guess with assumptions like that prevailing it is no surprise that the third sector is (by its lack of being beholden to minimum wage legistlation) more exploitative than the private sector* but manages to market itself as otherwise, given that it trades in empowerment, social justice, community development etc.

A winning formula which means now that social struggle can only be percieved within the frame of the market making it far more difficult to even start to suggest there is something inherent in the capitalist mode of production that causes classes and poverty.

* such organisations may be 'non-profit' but are still subject to accumulation via exploiting the labour power of paid and unpaid workers. Although rather than simply a market exchange from commodity capital to money capital, the value instead gets articulated as 'outcomes achieved' which thus gives the justification (or capital) for greater funding apps to be made - leading to a cycle of accumulation. Just a different way of going about the exchange for accumulation process...

Last edited:
A few years ago i had to use soupkitchens fairly regularly. remember being astounded when one of the volunteers for one of the soupkitchens, started saying, with other volunteers nodding in agreeance that "there was no such thing as poverty in the uk" and that the notion that poverty was "merely a state of mind" that could presumably be replaced with another state of mind by the one experiencing it. Was too astounded really to articulate any strong arguments in response to that, plus i was also totally not prepared to expect that kinda shit from someone working with the kinda service users this person was used to dealing with. I mean, the proposition that poverty exists in the uk was pretty self evident in that setting. But then again, if we are going to have 19th century self-help responses to social provision, then i guess it follows that 19th century attitudes will be circulating a lot likewise.

I'm utterly unsurprised by this. Several years of seeing the mixture of "voluntary" provision provided to people at the Waterloo "bullring" pretty much taught me that volunteers divided about 50/50 between good-hearted people who were there because they wanted to help alleviate suffering, and mean-hearted people who were engaging in order to make themselves feel better about themselves - the sort who would actively boast about their voluntary work.

exactly. the development support is kinda a giveaway on that, meaning the difference between people organising themselves to do a foodbank, or with their support will make the difference in the size of funding apps that they can do for themselves as an organisation.

Didn't know who this Nat Wei dude was so checked his webpage:

This jumped out at me:

(underline mine)

Seems that the market can solve everything - even that which comes as part of living in a market society it seems. its just about finding the right niche market to invest ones funds in. I guess with assumptions like that prevailing it is no surprise that the third sector is (by its lack of being beholden to minimum wage legistlation) more exploitative than the private sector* but manages to market itself as otherwise, given that it trades in empowerment, social justice, community development etc.

A winning formula which means now that social struggle can only be percieved within the frame of the market making it far more difficult to even start to suggest there is something inherent in the capitalist mode of production that causes classes and poverty.

* such organisations may be 'non-profit' but are still subject to accumulation via exploiting the labour power of paid and unpaid workers. Although rather than simply a market exchange from commodity capital to money capital, the value instead gets articulated as 'outcomes achieved' which thus gives the justification (or capital) for greater funding apps to be made - leading to a cycle of accumulation. Just a different way of going about the exchange for accumulation process...

But of course if he knew anything about the Quaker movement, it's intentions and philosophy, he'd know what they did had fuck-all to do with market economics, and everything to do with using an available mechanism as one of the methods through which to disseminate the "good works" their religious philosophy set store by, and to ameliorate some of the issues that they (or at least some of them) acknowledged that their own actions caused.

I'm utterly unsurprised by this. Several years of seeing the mixture of "voluntary" provision provided to people at the Waterloo "bullring" pretty much taught me that volunteers divided about 50/50 between good-hearted people who were there because they wanted to help alleviate suffering, and mean-hearted people who were engaging in order to make themselves feel better about themselves - the sort who would actively boast about their voluntary work.

Yeah, im totally not surprised by that kinda thing now -- jaded soul that i am now :D

1493249_793572753992725_1473410338_n.jpg

^ That poster includes in it's backers The Church Of England.

"Where people are measured in their worth only by what they can produce, what economic value they have, then Christ is denied and our own humanity is corrupted"

- The Archbishop Of Canterbury put it in a nutshell at his Christmas sermon.

For this is exactly the mentality produced by the brand of materialist capitalism that dominates our political and economic life, as if "there is no alternative". That is why we are increasingly encouraged to see large volumes of fellow humans as "a burden" for being too old, too sick etc.

Regardless of ones take on Christianity, faith or religion, this mode of capital is intrinsically anti-human. That's why Pope Francis has called it the "New Tyranny".

How marvelous to see the church return to the message of Christ in challenging poverty and greed, instead of tying themselves up in constant silly conservative knots about gender and sexuality, which have no actual founding in the teachings of Jesus.

Received c/f Amazon yesterday. We are just 2 people living alone. This will be going straight to the food bank who I sure will appreciate it.
IMG_20211217_085700.jpg

Back
Top Bottom