Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food that you can cook on a portable gas stove

Bob_the_lost

Elsewhere
I is going camping soon with friends. Sadly despite science saying otherwise it's not really possible to survive on alcohol and vitamin tablets alone so we'll need something to supplement it.

5 days, probably two gas cookers and a selection of aluminium pans.

Budget isn't too tight but i don't think we want to live off boil in the bag meals (i'm taking them just in case). Good hangover food is a must.

Ideas?

Corned beef hash a la longdog.

2 tins of beans
1 can of corned beef cubed.
1 onion cubed (optional)
1 tin of new potatoes (optional)

Fry onions if used. Add beans, corned beef and potatoes. Cook until hot. Serve with crusty bread where available.

Serves two to four depending on how greedy you are :)

I've done things before now with ready cooked stuff from the shops - cooked chicken pieces, bacon pieces, ready pasta sauces etc, pasta. I wouldn't eat that stuff at home but I don't mind it for camping trips.

Pends on the weather a lot tho. If it's salad (+ meat, fish?) season you're laughing

If travelling light isn't essential, one tip from Aqua which I've adopted recently is to make something yummy like a chilli at home and freeze it. Take it with you and it will be thawed and ready to reheat on one stove by the next tea time. Boil some rice on your other stove, stir in some fresh herbs. Or instead, fry halloumi slices on stove 2 to serve on top of the chilli, and serve with chunks of nice bread.

Or you could do curry and rice. Or pasta and sauce. Or sausages fried in one pan and baked beans chucked in when they're done, with spuds boiled in the other pan to make mash.

Or take a disposable bbq and roast veggies on it and serve in pitta bread with humous or halloumi.
**don't keep or use the bbq in a tent where people are going to be sleeping - they can give off lethal fumes**

Light isn't an issue at all, but keeping things frozen will be. Having said that a chilli could be done for the first evening's meal. I'm thinking a decent "main meal" at dinner time and that could be the first day's.

Cheers, good ideas :D

Freeze the meals in deep containers, rather than wide shallow ones, that way you get a denser block which will defrost slower. Take them in a cool bag, and you can probably do 2 teas - the first one will still be frozen in the middle on the first night, the second will remain chilled enough for the second night, and if you make it veggie, it'll definitely be safe to eat. Reheat thoroughly.

fry ups are good - take a proper nonstick pan (they aren't that heavy) - also, you can do bacon, sausages etc on a disposable barbecue. Tbh - when i've camped i've used those more than the gas stove. less fiddly / balancey and minimal washing up.

i know i'm always plugging this, but those easy-cook risottos which take about 12 minutes are fucking delicious. Just add water and cook, and then tip in either lots of fresh raw ingredients (herbs, peppers, olives, capers, parmesan etc) or use the other hob to cook some stuff to put in.

Dubversion said:
i know i'm always plugging this, but those easy-cook risottos which take about 12 minutes are fucking delicious. Just add water and cook, and then tip in either lots of fresh raw ingredients (herbs, peppers, olives, capers, parmesan etc) or use the other hob to cook some stuff to put in.
What do you mean by easy cook risottos? going camping in a couple of weeks and being able to eat risotto as well would make me extremely happy.

clicky

we had a few of these at festies last year, and ate a lovely self-cooked meal (we chucked in some veggie sausages and cannelini beans etc) while everyone else was queueing for hours to be overcharged.

Day 5 meal for when all your veg is mouldy and there's only tins left:

Camping pot casserole a la stig

onions
mixed herbs (optional)
tin of tomatoes
tin of stewed steak
tin of baked beans
(substitute kidney beans or something if you're sick of beans after three days of Corned beef hash a la longdog.)
Bulgur wheat or couscous or a tin of new potatoes. (optional. for those who like a bit of carbohydrate.)

in a saucepan fry a load of onions (which will still be ok by then), add mixed herbs, add everything else.

Hey presto, pot casserole on one ring, saving you the other ring to make tea. :cool:

Cheers Dub.

Spangles, be not afraid, fry ups are going to make up a large portion of our diet i think :D Might get a 4.99 barbeque from argos rather than disposables.

Dubversion said:
clicky

we had a few of these at festies last year, and ate a lovely self-cooked meal (we chucked in some veggie sausages and cannelini beans etc) while everyone else was queueing for hours to be overcharged.
Oh my word, I do believe you've just made my day :)

When I used to go back-packing and travelling very light, instant mashed potato was the great filler and accompaniment to many a meal. Although it tastes horrible at home it is amazing how delicious and comforting it is in a tent with sausages or bacon and the sound of a fine drizzle being lashed by intermittent gusts of wind on to the tent cover.

Hocus Eye. said:
When I used to go back-packing and travelling very light, instant mashed potato was the great filler and accompaniment to many a meal. Although it tastes horrible at home it is amazing how delicious and comforting it is in a tent with sausages or bacon and the sound of a fine drizzle being lashed by intermittent gusts of wind on to the tent cover.

oh yes! I forgot about instant mash. :cool:
It has to be the powder stuff, not the flake stuff.

For the authentic minimalist camping food experience, one or two sachets of cup-a-soup, mixed with instant mash, in a bowl, add water, add butter and pepper, yay shlop! :D

Bob_the_lost said:
I is going camping soon with friends. Sadly despite science saying otherwise it's not really possible to survive on alcohol and vitamin tablets alone so we'll need something to supplement it.

5 days, probably two gas cookers and a selection of aluminium pans.

Budget isn't too tight but i don't think we want to live off boil in the bag meals (i'm taking them just in case). Good hangover food is a must.

Ideas?
I reckon a smallish pressure cooker would be a very handy think to have on a camping trip. Then you can cook up dried pulses without all the 24 hours soaking palaver - chillies, lentil stews, etc., here we come...

Spag bol, chilli,curry... There isnt any need to buy any special 'camping' meals so long as you have stuff you can shove all in one pan and do rice/pasta seperately:) Tinned curry and boil in the bag rice is useful to take for emergency dinners

Olive oil, garlic, onion in a pan. Fry for a little while. Add tin(s) chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook for longer. Add fresh herbs if you have them and some morrocan tagine spices. Eat with bread. Fucking lovely camping meal.

Or boil some rice, put it to one side. Fry up some onion and garlic with veggies, meat, whatever you fancy. And some spices. Lots of chilli imo. Add a tin or two of tomatoes. Cook for a while. Then add the rice and cook for a few more minutes. Top as well.

Def has to involve a curry or two....and pancakes for pudding with chocolate spread/honey/lemon....since you taken a BBQ baked sweet potatoes and garlic bread would be tasty.....and don't forget trusty ol' hotdogs ...

So So many options...could even panfry the potaoes with veg / meat....I usually take a stash of veg samosa/pakora which last for about 2 days and are tasty hot or cold...

No-one has metioned use a lid!! Things will heat up soooo much quicker if you put a lid on your pots.

We don't do special recipes, just eat what we would normally do at home(like nh I think)

I am a big fan of one pot cooking wherever I am :)

Back
Top Bottom