Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folk Horror Appreciation Thread

This is as good enough to be classed as Folk Horror. A bit Ben Wheatlyish. Witches, Scotland, Misty Landscapes. It’s on Amazon Prime going to give it a go tonight.

Attachments

• 186DA016-F54E-4BB2-B41E-350EAE74F801.jpeg
    186DA016-F54E-4BB2-B41E-350EAE74F801.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 24
This is as good enough to be classed as Folk Horror. A bit Ben Wheatlyish. Witches, Scotland, Misty Landscapes. It’s on Amazon Prime going to give it a go tonight.
Handy to give us the title, my eyesights got trouble with such small writing.

I presume it’s called ‘She Will’

I have to say I wasn’t impressed with this from the very beginning.

- Travelling on a sleeper train that’s ye olde wooden lined in a large cabin, isn’t a thing.

- There’s a shot that appears to be the Harry Potter viaduct which is on the opposite side of Scotland to their destination of Boat Garten.

- Sleeper trains arrive in Scotland first thing in the morning and yet they got off at Boat Garten and drove until the night to arrive at their destination. This is bollocks. The line the Cairngorm part of the sleeper train on goes until Inverness, if you had an epic drive the only place could be the very far north, where Inverness would be the sensible place to alight. Not in the middle of the Cairngorms.

- The plot was daft and lazy that a toddler could read like a Noddy book.

I would argue this isn’t folk horror. The supernatural was presented as fact and not superstition or left for the viewer to infer either which way. The outside city folk didn’t really come unstuck by their haughty ways. Most of the horror was at night, whereas folk horror draws on being exposed to nature in its full gaze.

It was better than some of the stuff I’ve been watching of late so, not all bad!

More folk horror starring Noomi Rapace coming up.

I really enjoyed this. The short description would be that it's like Terrence Malick making a folk horror film, so if you don't mind that kind of style, give it a watch. It's also better than anything Malick has made in a couple of decades.

It's about a girl in 19th century Macedonia who has been raised in total isolation to protect her from a witches' curse. This turns out to have been pointless as the witch finds her anyway on her 16th birthday and turns her into a shape shifting witch herself. The witches become whoever they kill and consume and by taking over other bodies, the girl tries to figure out how to live as a human.

Last edited:
Moloch is a recent Dutch folk horror film and a decent enough watch, even if by the end it owes a little too much to Hereditary.

Mark Jenkin who made Bait is back with another Cornish film. This one looks very folk and very horror from the trailer. Really excited for it. Enys Men

Saw a preview of it with Q+A last month. Not as easy to watch as Bait, lots of repetition and when it got weird I wasn't too sure what was going on. Luckily things were clarified a bit in the Q+A. I'll probably try it again.

He seemed like a nice fella and a woman in the audience was quite challenging in her questions that had nothing to do with the film. All very awkward.

She was clearly from Cornwall and had issues about the film making community there being very cliquey. She wasn't gonna leave it but the guy from film four had to shut her down.

I find Q+As often have a weirdo asking something only they would be interested in but she's the worst I've come across.
It's more of an observation than a question... My question comes in three/five/ten parts... As an aspiring writer/director producer can you tell me how to get a project off the ground... Maybe after this I could show you my latest script and I could stand awkwardly close to you for two hours while you read it and then you could give me some helpful pointers and praise and tell me I'm a genius...

I find Q+As often have a weirdo asking something only they would be interested in but she's the worst I've come across.
They're a nightmare. There's always someone who asks:

a) A really dull techical question about the cinematography

b) Something really long and convoluted that isn’t really a question but is designed to show off the asker's film knowledge and invariably name checks Tarkovsky

c) Something about their specific hobby horse that may or may not have something tangential to do with the film

d) Something completely inappropriate and/or racist/sexist/homophobic

🤷‍♀️

My friend has a story of a Q+A with Mike Leigh where some fella wanted to know the date a particular film was due to be reeased on Blu Ray. Wouldn't take 'I don't know' for an answer.

I've also been to a few where the fawning fanboy who's asking the questions really doesn't want to open it up the audience.

I too find Q&As after movies excruciating. Many people don't ask a genuine questions, they seem desperate to look clever while revealing themselves to be utter idiots.
I was almost guilty of this...

Kevin Brownlow presented a programme of rarely seen silent shorts at a local cinema, and did a Q&A afterwards that went as one would predict. I didn't pipe up then (I'm not a monster), but at the end I did queue up behind a huge scrum of old dudes who wanted to know what Louise Brooks was really like etc, until after about 20 minutes I was able to step up and... Mind went blank! "Uh... I just wanted to say I really loved It Happened Here!" Silence.

Think of something else, dammit! "Uh, where can I get a copy of it?" What? What?! You know where to get it, you literally checked this the other day, YOU CAN GET IT FROM THE BFI SHOP!!!

With a hint of irritation, he reflected the exact thoughts leaking out of my brain through my panicked eyes straight back at me... "You can get it from the BFI shop."

FIN.

Think of something else, dammit! "Uh, where can I get a copy of it?" What? What?! You know where to get it, you literally checked this the other day, YOU CAN GET IT FROM THE BFI SHOP!!!

With a hint of irritation, he reflected the exact thoughts leaking out of my brain through my panicked eyes straight back at me... "You can get it from the BFI shop."

FIN.
:D I went to the screening at the BFI for the DVD launch. Seem to remember the Q&A was actually pretty decent for once...

:D I went to the screening at the BFI for the DVD launch. Seem to remember the Q&A was actually pretty decent for once...
I can see my copy right in front of me as the kid ogles Minecraft videos on YouTube:DPXL_20221121_203754011.PORTRAIT.jpg

I just recently procured a copy of the Oliver Reed film "The Devils". It claims to be the completely uncut version, but we'll see. I haven't watched it for some years so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. I'll take it with me to my friend's house at Christmas but I'm not sure it'll be fun viewing for Christmas Day especially for my friend's elderly (Catholic) mother.

Back
Top Bottom