Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folk Horror Appreciation Thread

I just watched the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre so you need to.

That is all.
The remake from 2003 or the new film on Netflix ? The new one is a direct sequel to the original film from 1974. Not sure this slasher franchise qualifies as folk horror, despite a rural setting. The redneck slasher film is its own sub-genre, see also the The Hills Have Eyes and Wrong Turn films.

Last edited:
This just came up on my feed - an interesting list:

I agree with the top two slots. The Witch is something really fascinating IMO and I'm more fascinated by it on each watch.

Eggers new film looks quite convention Viking saga sort of thing not sure if it's folk horror or any good. But its coming soon.

This just came up on my feed - an interesting list:
I don't get the feeling the compiler of the lists has more than a passing knowledge of folk horror but lists drive punters to websites, so these websites look at each others lists and just alter them slightly. (The 16 Best Folk Horror Movies Of All Time ) Several mediocre (and some good) new films, while a lot of essential older films are missing. Most of the people who work on these websites don't watch enough old films.

Last edited:
The remake from 2003 or the new film on Netflix ? The new one is a direct sequel to the original film from 1974. Not sure this slasher franchise qualifies as folk horror, despite a rural setting. The redneck slasher film is its own sub-genre, see also the The Hills Have Eyes and Wrong Turn films.

The new Netflix one, it’s dismal.

It may not be an intuitive member of the genre but it ticks most of Adam Scovell’s criteria for folk horror:

1. Rural Location
2. Isolated Groups
3. Skewed Moral and Belief Systems
4. Supernatural or Violent Happenings.

In addition, folk horrors are mainly set in daylight and have an outsider protagonist with a sense of superiority. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre fits in.

The new Netflix one, it’s dismal.

It may not be an intuitive member of the genre but it ticks most of Adam Scovell’s criteria for folk horror:

1. Rural Location
2. Isolated Groups
3. Skewed Moral and Belief Systems
4. Supernatural or Violent Happenings.

In addition, folk horrors are mainly set in daylight and have an outsider protagonist with a sense of superiority. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre fits in.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise has the least worthwhile run of sequels of the major slasher franchise, though I quite like the 2003 remake.

One horror franchise which reinvented itself as pure folk horror with the most recent instalment is Paranormal Activity and I quite liked that. It just has nothing to do with the films that came before, maybe further sequels will link it to events of of the previous films.

Last edited:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise has the least worthwhile run of sequels of the major slasher franchise, though I quite like the 2003 remake.

One horror franchise which reinvented itself as pure folk horror with the most recent instalment is Paranormal Activity and I quite liked that. It just has to do nothing with the films that came before, maybe further sequels will link it to events of of the previous films.

Hmm, I binned off watching that due to critic and general audience ratings were poor. But maybe I'll give it a go on your good word! :)

Hmm, I binned off watching that due to critic and general audience ratings were poor. But maybe I'll give it a go on your good word! :)
I read those reviews too and considering that, I regard it as a pleasant surprise. I think one reason why it got poor ratings is because it's puzzling as to why it's part of the Paranormal Activity franchise and people expected something that continues the story. It has no connection to the other films and has a completely different look and feel. Taken on its own, as a found footage take on the folk horror film, it's pretty good. Horror films, especially later entries in a franchise automatically tend to get a short shrift. I just watched the new Scream, which got middling reviews, but which I also thought was about as good as the 5th itineration of a premise gets.

Which is the latest Paranormal Activity movie? I haven’t seen any. Not really a fan of those types of ghosts/hauntings generally but if it’s gone full folk horror, I might be interested…

Which is the latest Paranormal Activity movie? I haven’t seen any. Not really a fan of those types of ghosts/hauntings generally but if it’s gone full folk horror, I might be interested…
It's called Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin and it came out last year. It's a found footage movie (many people don't like those), but unlike the rest, which take place in San Diego and LA, this one takes place in an Amish community.

I read those reviews too and considering that, I regard it as a pleasant surprise. I think one reason why it got poor ratings is because it's puzzling as to why it's part of the Paranormal Activity franchise and people expected something that continues the story. It has no connection to the other films and has a completely different look and feel. Taken on its own, as a found footage take on the folk horror film, it's pretty good. Horror films, especially later entries in a franchise automatically tend to get a short shrift. I just watched the new Scream, which got middling reviews, but which I also thought was about as good as the 5th itineration of a premise gets.

Funny enough, also watched Scream (2022) over the weekend, and while it was nothing overly new, quite tongue in cheek to modern day, it was ok. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again, but it filled in a decent 90 minute boredom hole.

seems to be news abroad tonight of a new Tim Key starring Witchfinder General comedy show. Could be anywhere between good and terrible I guess.

Hmm, I wonder though if it was made by people who thought Upstart Crow was good? I don't even know who those people are since I've never met any of them but they must exist and their existence worries me.

Folk Horror fans in my orbit are also keen on this new thing on Shudder, Hellbender

I saw their previous film The Deeper you Dig, which was a decent effort for a no-budget film. This was made by a family, father, mother and daughter, who direct, write and act in their own horror films and they seem pretty cool. This is the family would have loved to be born into !

89D51BB1-8AE4-4B50-981C-A673AF73EF4D.jpeg

Hellbender is interesting. Not sure I liked where it ended up going. Not sure it quite earned it. But interesting and trippy.

seems to be news abroad tonight of a new Tim Key starring Witchfinder General comedy show. Could be anywhere between good and terrible I guess.

I’ve watched the first couple of episodes and am quite enjoying it. He’s basically doing the same character he does with Partridge though (unsurprisingly given who’s involved), so I can see if why some people might not like it.

The Irish horror film You Are Not My Mother may take place around a Dublin council estate but its supernatural elements are based in Irish folklore. A promising feature debut by its writer-director Kate Dolan and it's almost better as film about a girl dealing with a mother who appears to be bipolar than as a tale of the supernatural. Vibes of Candyman at the end. Worth checking out, even if it commits the sin where the title becomes a line of dialogue at a pivotal moment.

(oh he also did the poster for the new Ben Wheatley film)

View attachment 270401
Thanks for the heads up. I watched this one a couple of weekends ago now, and think it is excellent. The most accessible film by Ben Wheatley. Great use of colour, good balance of tension and grotty gory bits and a fascinating and little-understood natural phenomenon to base a storyline on.

Back
Top Bottom