Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folk Horror Appreciation Thread

I have just watched the trailers for both. They appear to be horrendously derivative.
Neither is very good, though they were reasonably well received. I just mentioned them as they are Irish folk horror films. I liked Gretel & Hansel, which is more idiosyncratic and inventive than either of those.

Last edited:
Wake Wood’s a Hammer movie. It has some Irish dosh and is set there, but it’s a hammer movie.
The Hammer movies since its revival in 2007 have nothing in common with the classic Hammer films, they are mostly bland and they are merely flogging a classic brand name. Half of the films are set in the US, like the crappy remake of Let the Right One In and they look and feel like any other middling horror film.

Last edited:

This is on the Shudder Channel from January 10th via Amazon Prime. Annoyingly that’s another charge but there is a deal at the moment for £0.99 for three months then to £4.99.

Hang on I don't understand.
It's not on Shudder.
So you have to have a Shudder and Prime subscription at the same time to watch it?
That is taking the piss :(

The Hammer movies since its revival in 2007 have nothing in common with the classic Hammer films, they are mostly bland and they are merely flogging a classic brand name. Half of the films are set in the US, like the crappy remake of Let the Right One In and they look and feel like any other middling horror film.
They are indeed crap. And they are indeed not Irish.

They are indeed crap. And they are indeed not Irish.
...apart from Wake Wood, which was a British-Irish co-production with a mostly Irish cast and crew, by an Irish director and an Irish writer, set in Ireland and mostly produced there.

Most Irish films are co-productions with the U.K. and most European movies are co-productions with other countries

Last edited:
Hole in the Ground is or was on Netflix. It's pretty good until the last act when it becomes incoherent bumbling about in the dark. Other than it's woodland setting, I wouldn't call it folk horror though. Midwich Cuckoo sort of the thing.

Hole in the Ground is or was on Netflix. It's pretty good until the last act when it becomes incoherent bumbling about in the dark. Other than it's woodland setting, I wouldn't call it folk horror though. Midwich Cuckoo sort of the thing.
I think the rural setting and especially the concept of
a changeling,
a common figure in folklore and which it shares with The Hallow, just about make it fit.

Last edited:
Lads, it was a joke about the Irish folk horror thing, OK?

I needed the point to set up the punchline about Lord S., the PP, and the guards.

I will say this, though, I think there may be a peculiarly English angle to a lot of this (not that I've seen much folk horror in my day) which dates back to the collective trauma of the enclosures and the industrial revolution - events that are ornaments of England's history, but not Ireland's.

I will say this, though, I think there may be a peculiarly English angle to a lot of this (not that I've seen much folk horror in my day) which dates back to the collective trauma of the enclosures and the industrial revolution - events that are ornaments of England's history, but not Ireland's.
Not a joke after all ! :hmm:

You’ll find folk horror narratives and films from all around the world.

The enclosures went hand in hand both with the massive shift in the role of women, and with colonialism. Which gave rise to both witchcraft and a much wider fear of the dark (skinned). The three things, combined with the final crushing of paganism at the same time, dovetail neatly together and make up a bedrock of much folk horror, or British folk horror, anyway. Jacques Tourneur made the most similar non-English folk horrors, imo. Other countries obviously also have them, but they are based upon their own myths and legends. Thai horrors are largely folk horrors (well, the two I've seen both were)

Here's a video by two youtubers with an interest in US history and esoterica with a commentary on The Witch. To be watched alongside the film itself, if you can stand their chatter. Historians and folklorists seem to really love this film, and I think they're right. Some interesting takeaway points -

The puritan witch hunters had an apocalyptic point of view that saw witchcraft as evidence of the end times.
The imagery of the film is more influenced by continental European folklore rather than English/Scottish/American folklore.

Anyway witchout with this.

The enclosures went hand in hand both with the massive shift in the role of women, and with colonialism. Which gave rise to both witchcraft and a much wider fear of the dark (skinned). The three things, combined with the final crushing of paganism at the same time, dovetail neatly together and make up a bedrock of much folk horror, or British folk horror, anyway. Jacques Tourneur made the most similar non-English folk horrors, imo. Other countries obviously also have them, but they are based upon their own myths and legends. Thai horrors are largely folk horrors (well, the two I've seen both were)
Yeh. I'm not sure how enclosures gave rise to witchcraft. Certainly doesn't explain anything happening before enclosures eg the malleus maleficarum. Maybe you could run through this again with respect to eg Scotland and Iceland. Or pendle. And the final crushing of paganism? I'd be grateful if you could elaborate

Watched this recently. Quite superb documentary, all 3hrs 12mins of it. Referenced nearly every film mentioned on this thread clearly a lot of work was put into it loads of film clips, made for the doc animation and score and took in folk horror from Asia, Russia, South America.

I am going to watch it again and take notes.

Attachments

• 328C1708-E789-45EB-BC3D-7C64D1FD70F0.jpeg
    328C1708-E789-45EB-BC3D-7C64D1FD70F0.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18
Watched this recently. Quite superb documentary, all 3hrs 12mins of it. Referenced nearly every film mentioned on this thread clearly a lot of work was put into it loads of film clips, made for the doc animation and score and took in folk horror from Asia, Russia, South America.

I am going to watch it again and take notes.

It's on Shudder and I've kept my account. Awesome.

I watched the documentary last weekend and really enjoyed it. I liked that it stretched beyond what would be considered folk horror and there are a few films which I wished it had mentioned. I've also downloaded a couple of films which are in the blu-ray boxset, but haven't gotten round to them yet.

I watched the documentary last weekend and really enjoyed it. I liked that it stretched beyond what would be considered folk horror and there are a few films which I wished it had mentioned. I've also downloaded a couple of films which are in the blu-ray boxset, but haven't gotten round to them yet.
I was particularly taken by the Native American chap ( I don’t think I’m spoiling anything ) talking about the Indian burial ground trope "the whole of North America is a burial ground "

It would be grand to get a usable list of films referenced in this doc.
Hope this helps

Watched the Love Witch recently which I thought was great. It's a stunning 60's technicolour pastiche film with a feminist theme/discussion in a very on the nose sort of way. It's got a witch and a cult but not really folk horror until it suddenly and randomly folks things up immensely. So I'm going to count it.

1642696743840.png

Because that is indeed how you folk horror,

Back
Top Bottom