Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Folk Horror Appreciation Thread

We went to the Dennis Skinner Q&A session after his 2017 film. It was in Nottingham & kicked off with the son of a Nottinghamshire miner questioning the whole idea of 'all Nottinghamshire miners are scabs' and subsequently turned into a full blown row between Skinner & the man. Was very weird to say the least.

Saw a preview of it with Q+A last month. Not as easy to watch as Bait, lots of repetition and when it got weird I wasn't too sure what was going on. Luckily things were clarified a bit in the Q+A. I'll probably try it again.

He seemed like a nice fella and a woman in the audience was quite challenging in her questions that had nothing to do with the film. All very awkward.

We saw this tonight with Mark Jenkin's Q&A after. Really loved the film and the Q&A bit was good as well, with Jenkin completely mugging off the two or three film studies pseuds in the audience who just asked him to confirm that their waffling, unintelligible interpretation of the film was 'correct'. The people who asked actual questions got really good answers.

Yeah I booked into that. Didn't get to see Enys Men earlier in the year, so this looks like a great opportunity to see it.

A new book out soon that will appeal to riders of this thread. Although at this price its one for downloading, borrowing from a library, or stealing.

The book presents political and aesthetic analyses of folk horror's uncanny landscapes and frightful folk. It places canonical films like Witchfinder General (1968), The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971) and The Wicker Man (1973) in a new light and expands the canon to include films like the sci-fi horror Doomwatch (1970-72) and the horror documentary Requiem for a Village (1975) alongside filmmakers Ken Russell and Ben Wheatley.

A series of engrossing chapters by established scholars and new writers argue for the uniqueness of folk horror from perspectives that include the fragmented national history of pagan heresies and Celtic cultures, of peasant lifestyles, folkloric rediscoveries and postcolonial decline.

The Routledge Companion to Folk Horror and Simon Bacon's collection on Future Folk Horror are also upcoming.

Saw Ben Wheatley's In The Earth on netflix. As usual with his films it has interesting elements, but the pacing and storytelling was all over the place. A glacial pace at times, then so much happens in a minute that you can't really process it. And I'm happy to see trippy sequences in films, which he likes to do, but I want to have some notion of what the trip means. He got away with little explanation in A Field in England but this one is a less substantial film. The characterisation was pretty thin too.

Finally seen Enys Men. I can admire it but couldn't enjoy it. Would work well as a screensaver except for the last 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom