Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Finland & Sweden, and NATO membership.

The Topols are mobile and can be launched from anywhere. The submarines are also permanently out and about with live nukes (like the UK ones). Not sure how the Russian silos work but the US ones are in a permanent state of readiness. They were designed with solid fuel tanks to minimise maintenance. Warheads need to be kept 'fresh' but it's a six year cycle and stuff should be being refreshed and replaced on a regular basis.
Topols use solid motors but SS18 are hypergolic. Russian SLBMs use hypergolics in at least one, some all, stages.

Some elements of warhead designs don't age well, whilst others are probably stable for decades. The physics package service lifetime very likely depends on how highly optimised it is for yield-to-mass (note: the Russian missiles tend to have the greater throw weights).

Erdogan threatening to block Sweden and Finland's entry to NATO

Suspect some F16s might need to change hands in order to get them to suddenly change their minds...

I doubt it - getting back in the F35 deal perhaps, but even then this might be him trying to prevent an escalation.

As expected...

Sweden’s ruling Social Democrats backs country joining Nato​

Sweden’s ruling Social Democrats said on Sunday that they backed the country joining Nato, abandoning decades of opposition in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and creating a large parliament majority in favour of membership.

“The party board has at its meeting on May 15, 2022 decided that the party will work toward Sweden applying for membership in NATO,” the Social Democrats said in a statement.
With Finland already set to hand in its application, Sweden’s prime minister Magdalena Andersson is now all but certain to launch a formal application within days, Reuters reports. LINK

Multiple Twitter threads here from a guy outlining exactly how much the potential joining of NATO fucks Russia over. I found them really interesting and highlighted some of the implications I hadn't thought of. The Baltic sub corridor, the single highway to the Kola peninsula, a real weak point (thread 3)

Multiple Twitter threads here from a guy outlining exactly how much the potential joining of NATO fucks Russia over. I found them really interesting and highlighted some of the implications I hadn't thought of. The Baltic sub corridor, the single highway to the Kola peninsula, a real weak point (thread 3)

Interesting tweets. One thing which does occur to me is to compare this situation with WW1 and the Maginot Line. France back then fortified it's border with Germany, but didn't bother doing the same with neutral Belgium. So Germany attacked through Belgium. Does anyone seriously think that in the event of a war between nato and Russia that nato would necessarily observe Finnish neutrality? Also, if the Kola peninsular is so vulnerable in its land links with the rest of Russia you could smash the road and rail with saturation bombing if you had air access.

Yep. Spheres of influence, Russia being a top player in global politics etc.

Obviously no one since Hitler has thought invading Russia a remotely sensible thing to do....
Well mebbes Georgia but they were easily led into and subsequently stitched up by Russia in the first place - the status of Russian backed separatist enclaves in what Russia calls the near abroad does add to the mix

Interesting tweets. One thing which does occur to me is to compare this situation with WW1 and the Maginot Line. France back then fortified it's border with Germany, but didn't bother doing the same with neutral Belgium. So Germany attacked through Belgium. Does anyone seriously think that in the event of a war between nato and Russia that nato would necessarily observe Finnish neutrality? Also, if the Kola peninsular is so vulnerable in its land links with the rest of Russia you could smash the road and rail with saturation bombing if you had air access.
the french did have a little maginot line in the south, along the border with italy - there's part of it at the small village of ste agnes above menton
1652705515412.png
it saw action against the italians in 1940
1652705574237.png

that's all well and good in the summer. but as soon as things get cold up there i suspect it'll be easier to move things as they do in siberia, along rivers which when frozen become winter roads.

at other times you can enjoy a winter driving holiday there SUV Winter Adventure "Ice Roads Arctic Russia" (7 Days) on Kola Peninsula, something i think Spymaster would like

Joining the UK & US...

Norway, Denmark and Iceland have issued a joint statement offering their support to Finland and Sweden in case the two Nordic nations were to come under attack during their Nato applications.

Norways prime minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said: 'Together with Denmark and Iceland, Norway stands ready to assist its Nordic neighbours by all means necessary should they be the victim of aggression on their territory before obtaining Nato membership.' LINK

Joining the UK & US...
Seems Germany and France are also part of the party, according to Aftonbladet today, quoting Swedish PM Magdalena Andersson:

“We have received security guarantees from among others Usa, U.K., Germany, France and our neighbouring countries”

But is this just a shakedown? Is he looking for a pay off from the US - some weapon system they’re keeping back from him…? Wasn’t there that whole dust up over missile systems Turkey was threatening to buy from Russia a few years ago... similar scenario perhaps where Erdogan saw he could get leverage over the US.

This time he apparently made reassuring noises when consulted by the Finns ahead of their announcement (according to the Finnish president in below clip), then as soon as they formalise their decision, at the moment of maximum leverage, Turkey flips position.

Smells like a shakedown to me, which means it’ll probably get resolved.

But is this just a shakedown? Is he looking for a pay off from the US - some weapon system they’re keeping back from him…? Wasn’t there that whole dust up over missile systems Turkey was threatening to buy from Russia a few years ago... similar scenario perhaps where Erdogan saw he could get leverage over the US.

This time he apparently made reassuring noises when consulted by the Finns ahead of their announcement (according to the Finnish president in below clip), then as soon as they formalise their decision, at the moment of maximum leverage, Turkey flips position.

Smells like a shakedown to me, which means it’ll probably get resolved.

I thought it was to do with Kurds in Scandinavia Turkey, NATO, and the Ukraine war: Why Erdogan’s grievances are about more than Sweden and Finland

Back
Top Bottom