Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
Selfridges had a whole vegan butcher counter
View attachment 283479

OMG!

Mortally expensive though, blimey - I don't think I'll be dashing out to get those any time soon!
The big Sainsbury's over in Beckton always seems to have a good selection of veggie and vegan products, last time I went over there I hit the shop at the right time to grab a load of yellow stickered vegan sausages for OH, so I think I'll stick to that plan as it is a lot more affordable :D

My vote is for Naked Glory ones, which are quite like proper ones (although I barely remember them after nearly 30 years meat free). I think they’ve just changed the name to something else (hope and glory?) although that might just be an olympics promo or something. They always seem to be on offer too, usually two quid rather than £2.99.

it used to only be Cauldron in the game, mainly because they used tofu in the mix which made them more succulent than the dry McCartneys or Quorns, but there’s been tons of new entrants to the market in the last couple of years.

tivals for hotdogs since Sainsbury’s stopped doing their own knock-offs, though with some guilt for the Israel thing. I’ve noticed a lot of Sainsbury’s own brand stuff has disappeared, my theory was that this was related to takeover rumours a few years back, so that running down their own stuff would make it easier for a new owner to rebrand, but can’t see that as a reason now as it’s been ages.

My vote is for Naked Glory ones, which are quite like proper ones (although I barely remember them after nearly 30 years meat free). I think they’ve just changed the name to something else (hope and glory?) although that might just be an olympics promo or something. They always seem to be on offer too, usually two quid rather than £2.99.

it used to only be Cauldron in the game, mainly because they used tofu in the mix which made them more succulent than the dry McCartneys or Quorns, but there’s been tons of new entrants to the market in the last couple of years.

tivals for hotdogs since Sainsbury’s stopped doing their own knock-offs, though with some guilt for the Israel thing. I’ve noticed a lot of Sainsbury’s own brand stuff has disappeared, my theory was that this was related to takeover rumours a few years back, so that running down their own stuff would make it easier for a new owner to rebrand, but can’t see that as a reason now as it’s been ages.
The Sainsbury's stuff all went vegan and was rebranded as Plant Pioneers, but that's just their own brand.

I am a big meat sausage fan (national sausage week etc) but do really like a decent veggie sausage. Usually make my own but do like a shop brought version for time to time. Not really got a go to brand, usually what is on the #haggleshelf

Iceland have started doing the frozen Fry's hot dog sausages (pack of 8), praise be, OH can regularly have hot dogs again.
I bought a pack of their burgers too (as it was any 2 packs for £4 offer) but those haven't been tried yet.

Quorn sausages are also back on the shelf in Iceland, I am pleased to report.

Bought some Vegetarian Butcher "Little Willies" from the Co-op last week. Pretty good - very herby, but small and fucking expensive (£3 for six, piss off). Also, I bought them for slicing and sticking in a bun, and they didn't care for that at all.

Panicked a couple of days ago when I noticed Asda had stopped selling all their own brand and Richmond vegan stuff to seemingly make way for Gino DiCampo's over-hyped and over-priced fayre. Fortunately, today I saw they'd moved it all back into the meat aisle where it used to be :thumbs:

Bought some Vegetarian Butcher "Little Willies" from the Co-op last week. Pretty good - very herby, but small and fucking expensive (£3 for six, piss off). Also, I bought them for slicing and sticking in a bun, and they didn't care for that at all.

Panicked a couple of days ago when I noticed Asda had stopped selling all their own brand and Richmond vegan stuff to seemingly make way for Gino DiCampo's over-hyped and over-priced fayre. Fortunately, today I saw they'd moved it all back into the meat aisle where it used to be :thumbs:

I got some of those Little Willies on special offer, OH really didn't like them. I mean sometimes he'll try a veggie sausage and he'll say it's nice but a little bland or similar, but he actively disliked the Little Willies. (He does like the veggie "meatballs" from the same company though). Cauldron cumberlands are the other ones he really doesn't like and wouldn't eat again.

Hmm... Yes, I think they are similar to the Cauldron variety - which are clearly aimed at vegetarians - as opposed to the Richmind kind clearly designed for and marketed at flexies.

I think his sausage likes and dislikes are he wants his veggie sausages to definitely be veggie, but he also doesn't like them too herby - there is like a range in the middle that he likes. Eg. when he first tried the Richmonds he was very wary because he thought I had given him meat ones (these would certainly be most likely to suit a flexitarian for sure), but he dislikes the herby Little Willies, the peppery Cauldron Cumberlands, and the red onion and rosemary Lindas (which taste like veggie stuffing and I love them).

He does now like the Richmonds - had to adjust when quorn sausages weren't readily available for a while really, but the quorn ones are still top of the sausage charts for him, and they have now made a return - saw them in Iceland earlier this week.

Also bought fresh Fry's hotdogs for the first time when on a shopping trip a couple of weeks ago (£11 spent in Primark and TK Maxx, two bags full of groceries from Sainsbury's :rolleyes: :p). Not as nice as the frozen (bit squeaky when munching) that you can get in Tesco and now, as you say, Iceland. They are no game changer, as both Tesco and Morrisons used to do their own brand that were very similar and maybe a bit nicer (and cheaper). That being said, they might be my favourite meat substitute, and the one I would most recommend to meat-eaters, as they are clearly modeled on the 'fairground' Westler's hotdogs and so much better than the tinned/jarred shit they usually make do with.

Aye, the Tesco veggie hot dogs were the old faves here (I used to do a Tesco order when we wanted them), but they discontinued them a couple of years ago, and it's been difficult trying to get any veggie hot dogs locally, let alone reasonably priced ones. Hence my joy that Iceland are now doing the frozen Fry's ones, which fill that gap - although they are more expensive. Mind you, a lot of food is more expensive than it was 2 years ago.

Oooh, where did you get the veggie frankfurters? OH has been suffering the absence of the Tesco ones that he used to love, we need a good alternative. He loves hot dogs.
Holland and Barrat stock tivali. My local one has become more of smoothie place for Durham students and doesn't do freezer stuff anymore . Miffed because I love the Fry's garlic pelony slicing sausage that they stock.

Holland and Barrat stock tivali. My local one has become more of smoothie place for Durham students and doesn't do freezer stuff anymore . Miffed because I love the Fry's garlic pelony slicing sausage that they stock.

Yeah there's a bit of a political issue wrt the whole Palestine thing (Tivall, not H&B)

Jeez, that sounds good. Still not going in H&B, mind
I buy it when I go home to visit in Liverpool. Independent health shop stocks it.
It's my fave veggie thing. Lovely fried like you would spam. I'm going to have to order some from somewhere.

Aldi do vegan hotdogs -4 for about £1.50 & are pretty good. I prefer them to Fry’s.
Should be box of 6!

No Aldi around here, and that is a bit pricey for our budget - the frozen Fry's ones are £2.50 for a box of 8 but currently on special "any 2 packs for £4" offer in Iceland. Will stock up for sure as OH has given them the thumbs up.

I am actually extremely pissed off by the way a lot of supermarkets over the last couple of years wanted to ride on the back of increased interest in vegetarianism/veganism and replaced a lot of cheap but decent quality old standards with expensive gourmet versions (that in a lot of cases weren't actually better quality or taste). Money grabbing cunts the lot of them.

It's not just that they are marketing a more expensive product to the people they think are most likely interested in a dietary change and being higher income they can afford it - it is actually massively irresponsible as pricing veggie and vegan products out of the pocket of the lower income bracket's reach dissuades people from trying them or eating them regularly, which as we all know would be a benefit to the environment.

If a field of beans/peas can produce a bigger protein amount of veggie sausages than it can meat products when that same field products are used as food for livestock, then it is verging on criminal to price veggie products made from beans/peas higher than their meat equivalent.

OH is pescetarian (mostly veggie, occasional fish/seafood) and I eat meat - I would happily eat veggie sausages more frequently but I can get a nice enough pack of meat bangers for HALF the price so I say to OH "no you save the veggie ones for yourself" - the economic bracket they are currently marketing and pricing veggie sausages at is actually environmentally damaging.

When it is more expensive to buy processed vegetarian products than it is to buy processed meat products, that is down to marketing and the marketing people deciding who they can lure in to buy expensive products/how attractive they can make their product look by pricing it high - it isn't about the cost of producing the items, there is an element of making it "expensive" to appeal to a particular (small but with a lot of spending and possibly "influencing" power) demographic. And I strongly feel that is what has been going on the last couple of years with processed vegetarian and vegan products and ready meals in supermarkets.

Last edited:
In a similar vein, in Iceland you used to be able to get a veggie lasagne ready meal for £1, or a Lindas veggie lasagne for a bit more but it was lush and not massively expensive. Also, it wasn't their own brand (I think possibly Ross?) but you could get a spinach and ricotta cannelloni ready meal for £1. Now I understand that prices have risen since then across the board.

But I can still buy a massive "Big Value Pack" 500g MEAT lasagne for £1 from Iceland. They don't do a veggie version of that though, you have to head over to their (it was Gino D'Acampo branded, but he has gone over to another supermarket so Iceland rapidly changed all the packaging) expensive Italian ready meals cabinet to get a veggie lasagne or a spinach and ricotta cannelloni - and they cost £3 each (or 2 for £5) and are much smaller.

This is a trend that I have noticed and am NOT happy with, it is making it more difficult for ordinary low income people to choose quick veggie options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom