Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
This is a trend that I have noticed and am NOT happy with, it is making it more difficult for ordinary low income people to choose quick veggie options.

I don't think it's a new trend. A lot of veggie and vegan food has always been over priced. (processed foods and meals out) I think mainly because we have no other option rather than marketing - although it was similar with wholefood products as it is now with fake meats.

Years ago, asda used to sell a vegetarian cheddar in their deli counter.. it was most expensive of all of their cheddars. This was in the days before they put the 'V' on anything.. but if you asked, they could check the ingredients in a book.... all of their cheddars (and lot of their other cheeses) were all made with vegetarian rennet! So why the 'vegetarian cheddar'

The Co-op recently announced they are going to bring the price of plant based products down to their meat equivalents. A lot should be cheaper, but it's a start

I don't think it's a new trend. A lot of veggie and vegan food has always been over priced. (processed foods and meals out) I think mainly because we have no other option rather than marketing - although it was similar with wholefood products as it is now with fake meats.

Years ago, asda used to sell a vegetarian cheddar in their deli counter.. it was most expensive of all of their cheddars. This was in the days before they put the 'V' on anything.. but if you asked, they could check the ingredients in a book.... all of their cheddars (and lot of their other cheeses) were all made with vegetarian rennet! So why the 'vegetarian cheddar'

The Co-op recently announced they are going to bring the price of plant based products down to their meat equivalents. A lot should be cheaper, but it's a start

Aye, the point is this should NOT be an issue!

It HAS been an issue in the last 2 years though, with lower priced goods being removed from shelves and replaced with "gourmet" veggie options instead.

This is why I am happy that some supermarkets are starting to stock quorn products again - it has been a while.

Aye, the point is this should NOT be an issue!

It HAS been an issue in the last 2 years though, with lower priced goods being removed from shelves and replaced with "gourmet" veggie options instead.

This is why I am happy that some supermarkets are starting to stock quorn products again - it has been a while.

I agree, but I think that's always going to be the case when the customer base hasn't got a choice (apart from to have or do without out). It's not going to be until the market is big enough that companies will start looking at other factors (like value). It won't be long though.

I think the Quorn demise is, as RubyToogood says above, down to the veganisation of everything meat free. I guess it makes sense for shops to only sell vegan sausages, which veggies and vegans will buy (with no other option) rather than stocking one veggie and one vegan product.

It's not that long ago that loads of veggie products disappeared and the shelves became full of quorn fake meat

Aldi seems to have loads of quite reasonable priced ‘plant based’ stuff, and Asda not too bad for it either. From what I’ve seen it’s Sainsbury’s that seem to be doing the ‘gourmet’ approach. They seem to have very little ‘own brand’ veggie stuff now (though there’s been a general decline in own brand stuff, including the own brand stuff dressed up with fictional company branding)

Quorn sausages are vegan now though. If they needed a little bit of time back in product development for that then I am all for it - but they were off the shelves for a long time.

My complaints are mostly about the low end supermarkets that we have round here like Iceland. Sure Sainsbury's have a good gourmet range and I'll take anyone's word for it that Aldi or Asda or whatever have a good range- but I don't drive and these supermarkets are not near where I live - similar situation to a lot of folks living in the dreg ends of east London.

Quorn sausages are vegan now though. If they needed a little bit of time back in product development for that then I am all for it - but they were off the shelves for a long time.

My complaints are mostly about the low end supermarkets that we have round here like Iceland. Sure Sainsbury's have a good gourmet range and I'll take anyone's word for it that Aldi or Asda or whatever have a good range- but I don't drive and these supermarkets are not near where I live - similar situation to a lot of folks living in the dreg ends of east London.
I tried Iceland’s No Bull burger this week and it was very good, one of the best I’ve had. Would rate it up there with Beyond Burger, in fact. Will visit Iceland again and see if they do a sausage equivalent…

I tried Iceland’s No Bull burger this week and it was very good, one of the best I’ve had. Would rate it up there with Beyond Burger, in fact. Will visit Iceland again and see if they do a sausage equivalent…

They do, it is like a cocktail sausage version of a Linda's - very very tiny but similar flavour and texture. Disappointingly small for the price.

I'm losing track of what we have and haven't tried at this point - OH had some Bird's Eye Green Cuisine ones for dinner this morning (with potato & courgette mash, broccoli and gravy). I wasn't eating with him but I did try a bit of his.

He reckons they are "too flavourful".
I thought they could have done with being a bit more herby, but I actually liked them - this is probably explained by the fact they are made from pea protein rather than soya or quorn (both of which I dislike).

The only issue is that they are very pricy compared to fairly decent meat sausages, if they were cheaper or I was wealthier I would eat these ones happily. I really don't think there is any need for meat free products to be so bloody expensive in comparison, they price them as high end products due to demand, rather than what they cost to produce, I am certain :(

I'm losing track of what we have and haven't tried at this point - OH had some Bird's Eye Green Cuisine ones for dinner this morning (with potato & courgette mash, broccoli and gravy). I wasn't eating with him but I did try a bit of his.

He reckons they are "too flavourful".
I thought they could have done with being a bit more herby, but I actually liked them - this is probably explained by the fact they are made from pea protein rather than soya or quorn (both of which I dislike).

The only issue is that they are very pricy compared to fairly decent meat sausages, if they were cheaper or I was wealthier I would eat these ones happily. I really don't think there is any need for meat free products to be so bloody expensive in comparison, they price them as high end products due to demand, rather than what they cost to produce, I am certain :(
Reading this, I was thinking meat should not be cheap. I am sure much meat is sold at little above costs of production which leads to much poorer animal welfare, intensive farming and poorer standards.

Reading this, I was thinking meat should not be cheap. I am sure much meat is sold at little above costs of production which leads to much poorer animal welfare, intensive farming and poorer standards.
It's not so much about meat being cheap, it's more about certain meat-free products being priced as premium goods.

I am poor, I am not interested in any arguments suggesting making any foods more expensive, but plant based foodstuffs being priced as high end artisan/luxury goods and therefore out of the price bracket of many of us is wrong.

Just as an example (this actually really riles me, which is why I keep revisiting the subject) - in Morrison's, the Bird's Eye Green Cuisine veggie sausages are one of the cheaper veggie sausage options on offer - they are £2.50 for a bag of 6, which is more than 40p per sausage.

By comparison, their premium meat sausages from the butcher's counter, are 30p per sausage. Their cheap packs of pork/Irish/Cumberland/Lincolnshire meat sausages (which are actually not bad, if you eat meat) are £1.49 for a pack of 8, which is just under 19p per sausage.

There is something wrong with this. It should not cost that much more to have the veggie option.

(EDIT: I have had a look online and they do have some cheaper veggie options there that are not usually available in our local branch, however they are still all more expensive per sausage than the deluxe butchers counter meat sausages - they are overpriced, out of budget for many people - I consider this immoral)

Last edited:
I can't find those 'Little Willies' sausages anywhere now. Has Sainsbury's stopped stocking them?

They aren't in Morrison's either, not seen them in a few weeks - I was just checking through their online store (research for my above post) and they are not listed there now either - I wonder whether they have been rebranded or something?

(Although - I was specifically searching for sausages, they do still have other Vegetarian Butcher products though - the meatless balls - which are ace btw I heartily recommend them for a pasta dish with a spicy tomato sauce - escalopes, chicken style strips, and mince - just no Little Willies)

Just as an example (this actually really riles me, which is why I keep revisiting the subject) - in Morrison's, the Bird's Eye Green Cuisine veggie sausages are one of the cheaper veggie sausage options on offer - they are £2.50 for a bag of 6, which is more than 40p per sausage.

By comparison, their premium meat sausages from the butcher's counter, are 30p per sausage. Their cheap packs of pork/Irish/Cumberland/Lincolnshire meat sausages (which are actually not bad, if you eat meat) are £1.49 for a pack of 8, which is just under 19p per sausage.

There is something wrong with this. It should not cost that much more to have the veggie option.

(EDIT: I have had a look online and they do have some cheaper veggie options there that are not usually available in our local branch, however they are still all more expensive per sausage than the deluxe butchers counter meat sausages - they are overpriced, out of budget for many people - I consider this immoral)
Quorn sausages (frozen not chilled) are £1.75 for 8, which works out at just under 22p each. Google says Linda McCartney's are £1 for six in Sainsburys, which is under 17p (suspect it is a time-limited offer, though).

I just had a look and the Birds Eye ones are one of the pricier brands. Linda Mccartney, Quorn and Richmond are all cheaper, and Morrisons own brand ones are only £1.49 for 6.

Why do think it's immoral? I think it's immoral that meat is so cheap, but not that some processed veggie food is more expensive

I kind of think Morrisons is abit shit for veggie/vegan food - much prefer Sainsbury's when I can be arsed to go there.. bigger choice, and I think better products.

Yeah unfortunately my local choices are Iceland or Morrisons, both of which I can walk to (and Morrisons does not have all the goods that they have online in our local branch) - Sainsburys is miles away. Paying for a bus fare or delivery charge just adds to the cost of shopping. I can't eat soya (just cannot bear the stuff) and quorn does horrible things to me, which narrows the options. I am pleased there are now other products, but they tend to be expensive and certainly out of our budget a lot of the time.

Last edited:
I kind of think Morrisons is abit shit for veggie/vegan food - much prefer Sainsbury's when I can be arsed to go there.. bigger choice, and I think better products.
I do go to Sainsbury's probably twice a year and they have an incredible range of meat free products! A lot of it is priced like it is gold plated though.

Btw my usual diet when I am not eating meat is generally veggies and pulses, but with OH working so far away and on night shifts, the veggie ready-meals and quick options like sausages, burgers etc. are a good option, and he loves veggie sausages/burgers/hot dogs - but they aren't necessarily very affordable.

Iceland no longer does veggie lasagne or veggie spinach and ricotta cannelloni as cheap ready meals btw, these used to be good standby options for the sort of schedule I describe - my gripe isn't only about sausages, it is that supermarkets have rebranded some of the previously cheap veggie ready meal and meat substitute options into more expensive higher end own brand ranges - eg they used to do a spinach and ricotta cannelloni ready meal as part of their £1 range of cheapo ready meals, it has now (the exact same meal) been rebranded into their Italian range and costs £3, which I am sure to some of you might seem reasonable, but it is out of budget for us.

Going off on one for a moment, Morrsions have recently been bought out by some American hedge fund, having previously bought out some Co-ops, Safeways Etc.
They have had other criticisms, so not as clean as one might think :-

Inaccurate claim of support for British farmers​

Following a well-publicised crash in UK milk prices, Morrisons launched UK-flag-branded milk labelled 'For Farmers' promising an extra 23p per carton. In fact the extra money—equivalent to 10p a litre—went to Danish milk co-operative group Arla Foods, to be divided among several countries, with only one quarter of the 23p going to UK farmers.[116]

As for meat sausages, apart from the cost of production ( a horrible term used in connection with animals), think of all the shit that goes into sausages, especially cheap ones.

Finally tried the Richmond, which comes in both fridge and freezer versions which are slightly different.

I like them, seem to taste vaguely of apple. They are quite mildly flavoured similarly tot he Quorn ones, and in strong contrast to the Cauldron which I find overpoweringly seasoned.

They're cheaper than most too, so are now my favourite veggie sausage for regular use.

Also tried these new jumbo hotdogs from Tivall. Huge, expensive and seem to have lots of fat in. Quite nice but nothing to excited about:

Capture.JPG

Tivall have also reformulated their excellent veggie frankfurters, so the one on the left is replaced by the one on the right:

Capture2.JPG

These were strongly flavoured and really an improvement on actual meat frankfurters. However the new one seems permanently out of stock so I'm on tenterhooks waiting to try them.

Back
Top Bottom