Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
I find most sausages somewhat disappointing, whether meat or veggie. I occasionally get some when they're discounted, as they're easy enough to prepare, & have mild regret.

I used to like Sosmix, where I could add things to the mix, like Tabasco or cheese. I think it's still around, but hard to find.

That looks like a very tasty lunch!

Is the sausage huge, or is it served on a saucer? Just trying to work out the scale :D
Plate is about 15 or 16cm across.
Sausage was big and fat though. Bigger than the average sausage.

Best veggies sausage I have ever had. Probably the best actual sausage I have had for as long as I can remember too.

Plate is about 15 or 16cm across.
Sausage was big and fat though. Bigger than the average sausage.

Best veggies sausage I have ever had. Probably the best actual sausage I have had for as long as I can remember too.

Ahh small plate but also a fairly big sausage, hence my confusion about scale

Bought Meatless Farm Chipolatas (can’t spell it) yesterday from Sainsburys & liked them. I do prefer a skinnier sausage like The Vegetarian Butcher Little Willies which are expensive & I don’t tell to see them now.

I've been trying the This Isn't Pork ones this weekend. They're not bad but like a lot of these things there's a slight under taste of something not quite right.

Seems funny how the veggie sausages were way better than the veggie burgers for years and years, and now burgers have just blasted ahead.

A heads up that Tesco have started stocking the Cauldron Cumberland sausages now, and I'm very pleased about that. For about 2 or 3 years now, they've only had the Lincolnshire ones.

Gave the Richmond ones a try yesterday. Seems they’ve made progress on the look and texture of the things (if aiming for a low baseline), but the taste is … not sausage and not good.

Enjoyed the blurb on the packaging about them sticking to their ancient Irish recipe (involving methylcellulose and bamboo fibres), though. :D

Just had a beyond meat beyond sausage.
I got two yellow stickered for 1.50 which seemed reasonable, but the normal price is four quid plus. Yikes.

View attachment 344659

Flipping tasty though.
Tried these. I found them unimpressive and way too expensive.
A cheap bag of Quorn sausages, some cooked and served with a potato swede and carrot mash (lots of ground black pepper in that) and peas, and a bit of tomato added to the frying Quorn sausages can provide a nice meal for two cheaper than a pair of those beyond meat sausages.
All sausages are improved with a bit of HP brown sauce, and once applied it doesn’t really matter if the sausages are beyond meat, Quorn, cauldron, Linda McCartney or whatever.
Be a veggie Desperate Dan for a comfort eating treat.

Tried these. I found them unimpressive and way too expensive.
A cheap bag of Quorn sausages, some cooked and served with a potato swede and carrot mash (lots of ground black pepper in that) and peas, and a bit of tomato added to the frying Quorn sausages can provide a nice meal for two cheaper than a pair of those beyond meat sausages.
All sausages are improved with a bit of HP brown sauce, and once applied it doesn’t really matter if the sausages are beyond meat, Quorn, cauldron, Linda McCartney or whatever.
Be a veggie Desperate Dan for a comfort eating treat.
Ah. Well I think I can safely say we have very different tastes then. I can't stand the quorn sausages and think the taste of HP or ketchup renders any food inedible.
. . . But as much as I liked the beyond meat snags, I'd never pay more than £2 for them. . . So at almost £5 they are out of the question.

These are very nice. Quite heavy on the garlic, but that suits me just fine.
1665587331949.png
They also do breaded fillets which I use for chicken parmo

595208011_0_640x640.jpg

Suffered these recently. Made from protein powder and sunflower oil (DF?) giving them the texture of blancmange. Possibly the worst vegetarian food I've ever eaten

576582011_0_640x640.jpg

I've been trying the Cauldron Cumberland sausages. They're... inoffensive. I prefer the Richmond ones really, but I can see why some people wouldn't as they do taste more meaty/MSGy/salty.

I've been trying the This Isn't Pork ones this weekend. They're not bad but like a lot of these things there's a slight under taste of something not quite right.
We tried these at the weekend and I agree. I was really hoping I'd finally find a veggie sausage I would like but alas, there's still that underlying after taste.

The texture is quite good but I'm still searching.

The "meatballs" from the same brand are great - I really like them and would actually choose them over meat.

Glamorgan sausage is a fucking force of nature, it isn't a meat substitute though, it occupies its own space in the universe (or on a menu with mash). Fucking love it.

Agree - not trying to be meat seems to be the trick.
Whereas with nugs and burgers I think they do much better with the Frankenstein biz.

Agree - not trying to be meat seems to be the trick.
Whereas with nugs and burgers I think they do much better with the Frankenstein biz.
This is a strange thing isn't it? Quorn nuggets are ace little things. The new breed of veggie burger is also a triumph. Why can't they seem to get sausages right?

I seem to have settled (for now at least) on the Cauldron Lincolnshire sausages. I'd always avoided Cauldron, assuming they were crap, as certainly in the 80s they were the epitome of wholefood shop right-on horribleness, but it turns out I like these.

I might have to give the Cauldrons a go. My go-to has been the Linda McC red pepper and ‘chorizo’ but I’ve found these really dry lately… maybe because we’ve switched to using an air fryer? Can’t see how it makes a massive difference as opposed to the oven, though.

I want a veg sausage I can chuck on a saucepan. Need some grease.

We made sausage rolls for Mrs B's christmas party with these guys last week and they were sensational - we had a fried breakfast the next day with the left over sausages and they are some distance ahead of anything else I've tried (their bacon is great too, I think I've posted about that elswhere. The not-chicken pieces they do are pretty good but not on the same level)

AM1yTs6fxcotUmByaejmH2fKQAjf5K1EqAMdF-8Nn_ql5t_-yZ5iddJuO-ZxLubJNh6AqC86AG8yFiTnWjw3thaws5H-LDk1u8tFgdy7aIcUWUkb6k7kRq2epLmF-bHSrvlhNrLDRIuHWWcx-rycQPPGtUQGQTixkkzcPiXo9gJFR8MV34YYLDDP_fJjfH7JMi-c0l_-k6CMlEE=s512-rw-pd-pc0x00ffffff

Back
Top Bottom