Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
Has anyone noticed a recent change to the Cauldron sausages? I bought some, cooked one yesterday and noticed it was...different. And, on eating, confirmed that something had changed. Then I noticed that the packet says "now vegan". I don't know if the two things are connected, but my hot take on this is that Cauldron have now lost their head-and-shoulders advantage over the competition - they are now far more similar to all the other vegan offerings than they were.

Considering that they're a fair bit pricier than most, I think I'll be looking for a new favourite.

Oh, I thought they were vegan in the first place.
Apparently not. As a non-vegan vegetarian, it was never an issue for me, but I've been experiencing a growing sense of irritation at the merging of vegetarianism and veganism, because I don't care for "fake meat" and a lot of the vegan stuff is horribly over-processed.

Anyway, I wrote to Cauldron, and got a decent enough response back. Not a helpful one, but...
Hi there

We're really sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our vegan sausages. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we have passed this on to the relevant department.

We want to appeal to everyone, so we set out to make the veggie sausages plant-based, so our vegan consumers (that love our falafel and tofu) can enjoy Cauldron sausages too. Also, we care about animals and the environment, so we have made our veggie sausages vegan, by taking out the egg and reduced our Carbon Footprint at the same time.

We appreciate your honesty, which is invaluable in helping us to improve our products. We hope this experience doesn't prevent you from enjoying Cauldron products again in the future.

With very best wishes

Has anyone noticed a recent change to the Cauldron sausages? I bought some, cooked one yesterday and noticed it was...different. And, on eating, confirmed that something had changed. Then I noticed that the packet says "now vegan". I don't know if the two things are connected, but my hot take on this is that Cauldron have now lost their head-and-shoulders advantage over the competition - they are now far more similar to all the other vegan offerings than they were.

Considering that they're a fair bit pricier than most, I think I'll be looking for a new favourite.
I have a pack of the old vegetarian ones in the freezer. Might auction them off. ;)

When I started this thread Cauldron were my favourite, but now I prefer Sainsburys Plant Pioneer caramelised onion ones.

At work recently, we've had quite a few of the new cauldron sausages in our supermarket 'waste' food collections - it seems they have a tendancy to turn to mush and look really unappetising (this is when still in the packet, uncooked)

At work recently, we've had quite a few of the new cauldron sausages in our supermarket 'waste' food collections - it seems they have a tendancy to turn to mush and look really unappetising (this is when still in the packet, uncooked)
Yeah they do, I rejected quite a few packets last week before finding one where the sausages weren't in a squashed mess at the bottom of the packet.

I didn't notice any difference in taste/texture when cooked though.

I've noticed they are squidgier, like the covering is different and the contents not as herby as before.

Yes, this!

Apparently not. As a non-vegan vegetarian, it was never an issue for me, but I've been experiencing a growing sense of irritation at the merging of vegetarianism and veganism, because I don't care for "fake meat" and a lot of the vegan stuff is horribly over-processed.

Anyway, I wrote to Cauldron, and got a decent enough response back. Not a helpful one, but...
What have they replaced it with then? Hmm. Gonna have to check the ingredients next time I get a chance.

What have they replaced it with then? Hmm. Gonna have to check the ingredients next time I get a chance.

Ingredients​

• Water
  • Reconstituted Soya Protein (21%)
  • Rapeseed Oil, Onion (Onion, Sunflower Oil)
  • Soya Protein Concentrate
  • Lincolnshire Seasoning (4%) [Nutmeg Extract, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Fructose
  • Sage, White Pepper, Rusk (Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine)
  • Salt
  • Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonate)
  • Barley Malt Extract
  • Parsley
  • Carrot Powder
  • Dried Leek
  • Sage Extract
  • Nutmeg Extract
  • Potato Starch
  • Bread Crumb (Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Maize Starch, Salt, Dextrose)
  • Pea Fibre
  • Parsley (1.7%)
  • Stabiliser: Methycellulose; Caramelised Sugar Powder
  • Natural Flavouring, Sage (0.2%)
  • Barley Malt Extract
  • Salt
  • Potato Maltodextrin
  • Maize Maltodextrin
  • Onion Powder.
  • Filled into plant-based casing.
ALLERGY ADVICE: For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold.

Not immediately obvious to me what they've replaced the egg with but let me find the ingredients for the vegetarian version

edit: I see they havne't updated their website properly but it's clear on the webpage itself that this is the vegan version

• Rehydrated Textured Vegetable Protein (45%) (Water, Soya Protein, Potato Starch, Wheat Gluten, Stabiliser: Dicalcium Phosphate),
  • Onion,
  • Rapeseed Oil,
  • Cumberland Seasoning (5%) (Yeast Extract, Salt, Black Pepper, Sugar, Rosemary, Barley Malt Extract, Bay, Carrot, Leek, Rapeseed Oil),
  • Dried Free Range Egg White,
  • Soya Protein,
  • Stabiliser: Methylcellulose

so at a glance there's quite a few more ingredients although looks like they've unbundled the texterued vegetable protein in the new ingredient list

I find for disappointing sausages of any variety a spicy sausage, root veg and butter bean (or cannellini, or really any bean you have to hand, tinned ones for a quick meal) casserole served with a pile of mustard mash usually does the trick to hide any shortcomings.
As long as they hold together OK during cooking of course.

Their pages on Twitter and Facebook are not edifying. I'm a bit more annoyed now, because their anodyne response to my complaint was some time after they have had a shitstorm of negative comments on supermarket review sites, and social media. I wonder how long they're going to hold the "sorry you don't like them, but there you go, meh" line?

After so many mentions I had to try some today.
They are certainly somewhat less "substantial" than they used to be - and I had no idea the old type weren't vegan.
I just chucked em in with some lentil soup and frozen peas so probably didn't do them justice.
On balance definitely thumbs-down - I rarely bought the old ones because of the price and calories, but I won't buy these again.
I suppose the one advantage is there's less danger of me eating them uncooked in the middle of the night ...

"I say to people, 'Ey up, these biscuits are shite. The veggies are taking over' and people look at me like I'm mental."

(Mark E Smith, fucking ages ago)

This sort of reminded me of that, ironically.

"I say to people, 'Ey up, these biscuits are shite. The veggies are taking over' and people look at me like I'm mental."

(Mark E Smith, fucking ages ago)

This sort of reminded me of that, ironically.
Tbf, he had his plus points, but that was a mental thing to be saying.

Just had the "This isn't pork" ones for the first time, as part of a breakfast with beans and egg and buttered white bread. Delish!

Really enjoyed them and their peppery goodness (i.e. I enjoyed the pepper seasoning).

Were (are?) on offer for £2 with Tesco clubcard.

Actually they're growing on me now - perhaps it's the way I'm cooking them - plonked on top of hot soup and peas and nuked for another 10 mins.
They end up nicely plumped-up and not very different.
Perhaps they're saving money by not cooking them ?

4088600213293_0_XL.jpg

Aldi Plant Menu Onion & Rosemary Sausages 300g/6 Pack

They're very cheap ... £1.25 for 6.

Not sure how much they added to my veggie stew - probably a bit over-seasoned for me...
I will have to analyse the ingredients to see if they tip over my 4.25g of protein per 100kcals ...

EDIT:- 13.5g per 100 kcals - that's pretty good ...

1675363684121.png
Nutrition informationPer 100g: Energy 557kJ, 133kcal Fat 4.3g of which saturates 0.4g Carbohydrate 2.5g of which sugars 1.4g Fibre 7.6g Protein 18g Salt 1.2g
LifestyleVegan, Vegetarian
IngredientsRehydrated Textured 𝐒𝐨𝐲𝐚 Protein (65%), Onion Purée (18%), Water, 𝐒𝐨𝐲𝐚 Protein Concentrate, Rapeseed Oil, Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose; Kibbled Red Onion, Red Onion Powder, Salt, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Rosemary Powder, Sunflower Oil, White Pepper, Ginger Powder.

1675364148178.png

Last edited:
Aldi Plant Menu Onion & Rosemary Sausages 300g/6 Pack

They're very cheap ... £1.25 for 6.

Not sure how much they added to my veggie stew - probably a bit over-seasoned for me...
I will have to analyse the ingredients to see if they tip over my 4.25g of protein per 100kcals ...

EDIT:- 13.5g per 100 kcals - that's pretty good ...

View attachment 361723
Nutrition informationPer 100g: Energy 557kJ, 133kcal Fat 4.3g of which saturates 0.4g Carbohydrate 2.5g of which sugars 1.4g Fibre 7.6g Protein 18g Salt 1.2g
LifestyleVegan, Vegetarian
IngredientsRehydrated Textured 𝐒𝐨𝐲𝐚 Protein (65%), Onion Purée (18%), Water, 𝐒𝐨𝐲𝐚 Protein Concentrate, Rapeseed Oil, Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose; Kibbled Red Onion, Red Onion Powder, Salt, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Rosemary Powder, Sunflower Oil, White Pepper, Ginger Powder.

Yep, they're a solid value-for-money option those ones. Never thought of eating them unheated though.

I got some Gro saussies from the Co op yesterday, a mere £1.60 for 6, compared to the minimum £3 for the others available. Looks to be mostly mushroom and pea protein. Will report back.

I had some of their pretend chicken.
Looked like chicken. Tasted like rubber.

Back
Top Bottom