Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Favourite veggie sausage?

What's the best banger?

• Total voters
I’m going (almost) vegetarian to do my bit towards offsetting the other half’s aviation addiction. I’ve looked at the poll votes and Caldron are top- is that where I should start? I’d rather it tasted of nice veg not fake meat if that helps!

I’m going (almost) vegetarian to do my bit towards offsetting the other half’s aviation addiction. I’ve looked at the poll votes and Caldron are top- is that where I should start? I’d rather it tasted of nice veg not fake meat if that helps!

Yes, Cauldron are excellent - but they are pretty much like real sausages. If you have them in a bun with sauce, you prob wouldn't know they were veggie.

Yes, Cauldron are excellent - but they are pretty much like real sausages. If you have them in a bun with sauce, you prob wouldn't know they were veggie.
Do they have to be like "real" sausages. They are real sausages, just vegetarian or vegan as opposed to meat and they are supposed to be different, aren't they 🤔

Do they have to be like "real" sausages. They are real sausages, just vegetarian or vegan as opposed to meat and they are supposed to be different, aren't they 🤔

All I can is they are very satisfying.

Normally I would agree that veggie food is best when it's not trying to mimic meat.

But we're talking about sausages here...

(Veggie haggis is also very nice - but actually not that much like real haggis.)

Yes :thumbs:

I grabbed a packet of those Richmond ones recently on Editors recommendation.
It really is remarkable that they are more sausage like than their real sausages.
The real thing is utterly revolting and actually makes me feel sick.

The Richmond veg sausage option is actually pretty tasty, I assume there is a lot of fat or badness in there somewhere.

My daughter (who does not yet know they are vegetarian) says "they are a bit weird but quite tasty" . . . . "they don't taste 100% sausagy".

I grabbed a packet of those Richmond ones recently on Editors recommendation.
It really is remarkable that they are more sausage like than their real sausages.
The real thing is utterly revolting and actually makes me feel sick.

Yeah, the recommendations for the Richmond veggie ones surprised me too, given the regular offering.

Yeah, the recommendations for the Richmond veggie ones surprised me too, given the regular offering.
I think someone on here said that the frozen and fridge ones are not the same. CostCo was doing a 30-pack of the frozen ones for something daft like £4, but not enough room in my fridge. Still think the Taste and Glory ones are the nicest I’ve had.

Possibly unpopular opinion: I don't think I've ever had a really good veggie sausage, not counting Glamorgan sausage.
Had a few "kind of acceptable" ones.

Veggie burgers - yeah, had a bunch of them.

Possibly unpopular opinion: I don't think I've ever had a really good veggie sausage, not counting Glamorgan sausage.

Have you ever tried 'Taste and glory'?
The frozen are better than fresh for some reason.

I haven't but thanks for the tip.
Are they generally everywhere or is there a particular place that I need to go that does them?
Tesco's is your best bet. Think Morrisons brought their own out so sold them off. Which was handy at the time.

Glamorgan sausages are fucking lush, I am not keen on soya (except in soy sauce!) or quorn (does unpleasant things to me).

I do like the Linda's red onion and rosemary ones though, they taste like stuffing :D

But yeah if there are Glamorgan sausages on offer I'd prefer those over the usual "meat-substitute" type options.

Similarly I once had some smoked butter bean sausages in a restaurant which were bloody amazing, again they weren't trying to be meat-like, I've not seen the like of those again since though!

The other ones I really liked back in the day were I think some carrot-based ones that you could get on the deli counter at big Sainsbury's branches, they did a few different varieties of veggie sausages sold like that rather than pre-packaged for a while back in the early '90s and I recall particularly enjoying those - again, not seen anything like that for years.

Had ‘this isn’t meat’ pork sausages on Friday in a superb crusty cob. Really nice. Wasn’t expecting to like them as my partner doesn’t like the bacon from this brand which I haven’t tried as have no interest in real or veggie bacon but they were great & fab as a mid morning breakfast.

My new absolute faves are ‘This Isn’t Pork’ bought in Morrisons & Sainsburys. They might be sold elsewhere but that’s where I bought them. Had with. Morrisons crusty cob which are the best cobs of the main supermarkets. Sausages usually £3 for 6 fat ones.

Back
Top Bottom